Eucharist from the Tabernacle

*I am in a place where Sunday Mass is not always available (really). However I have had two people whom I look towards for truthful answers regarding our Catholic faith - tell me that in the event there is no priest on a Sunday - I can go to the Tabernacle and receive from the Ciborium....REALLY? I have not done so and will not without knowing this is truly acceptable.

[quote="jmjconder, post:1, topic:287016"]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]*I am in a place where Sunday Mass is not always available (really). However I have had two people whom I look towards for truthful answers regarding our Catholic faith - tell me that in the event there is no priest on a Sunday - I can go to the Tabernacle and receive from the Ciborium....REALLY? I have not done so and will not without knowing this is truly acceptable.

That doesn't sound right to me. I would think you would at least need a Eucharistic minister.

[/quote]

I am in a place where Sunday Mass is not always available (really). However I have had two people whom I look towards for truthful answers regarding our Catholic faith - tell me that in the event there is no priest on a Sunday - I can go to the Tabernacle and receive from the Ciborium....REALLY? I have not done so and will not without knowing this is truly acceptable.

[/quote]

Self-communication by the faithful is never permitted.

[quote="reconman, post:2, topic:287016"]
That doesn't sound right to me. I would think you would at least need a Eucharistic minister.

[/quote]

I am an extra-ordinary minister of Holy Communion...even so - can I just go the the Tabernacle and receive from the Eucharist that is reserved?

[quote="Tietjen, post:3, topic:287016"]
Self-communication by the faithful is never permitted.

[/quote]

Did not see your post before I posted my second question. Though can you cite this? I have had a few very faithful people tell me otherwise. I would like to give them more than my theological explaination. Thank you.

I would suggest contacting the Liturgist at your Diocesan Office and ask them for an opinion. They are usually very well informed on all sorts of rubrics for liturgical practices.

On another note: Even if one is a Eucharistic Minister, it doesnt seem "proper" to just go help oneself to the Eucharist! At least it should be another EM going with you to the tabernacle and giving you the Eucharist --- kinda like how it is done when taking Communion to the sick or homebound.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Is there a reason that your parish doesn't have a Communion Service on Sundays? In that service the EMHC does take Communion for him/herself and then distributes to the rest of the community.

I think that if everyone else is denied Communion on Sundays it is a little weird to have an EMHC just go in to the church and help her/himself.

[quote="jmjconder, post:5, topic:287016"]
Did not see your post before I posted my second question. Though can you cite this? I have had a few very faithful people tell me otherwise. I would like to give them more than my theological explaination. Thank you.

[/quote]

Yes, Inaestimabile donum (Instruction Concerning Worship of the Eucharistic Mystery) by the Sacred Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship Approved and Confirmed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II April 17, 1980; Section A (The Mass) #9. It can be googled or looked up on the Vatican website.

[quote="jmjconder, post:4, topic:287016"]
I am an extra-ordinary minister of Holy Communion...even so - can I just go the the Tabernacle and receive from the Eucharist that is reserved?

[/quote]

No, and you should have been taught this. :(

[quote="Tietjen, post:9, topic:287016"]
No, and you should have been taught this. :(

[/quote]

Do not judge so quickly without all the facts.
Circumstances can develop that you are not aware of.
Example: Minister of Care has extra Consecrated Host. Must be attended to!

Here is a link. The rules for self communicating are in the 2nd paragraph under discussion.

cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=46

We are told that as a layperson we are not to self communicate. We are also not to pass the Body or Blood from one to another. If there isn't another EMHC from which you can receive, than you would have to not self communicate. You just cannot receive that day.

[quote="thomas_jd, post:10, topic:287016"]
Do not judge so quickly without all the facts.
Circumstances can develop that you are not aware of.
Example: Minister of Care has extra Consecrated Host. Must be attended to!

[/quote]

I judge based from the information given. However, because I did not wish to sound uncharitable, I removed my reply. I stand by my original post (respectfully and with no wish to offend) and say, no an EMHC cannot "just go [to] the Tabernacle and receive... the Eucharist..."

[quote="jmjconder, post:4, topic:287016"]

[/quote]

I agree that you cannot just go and take the Eucharist for yourself, it would have to be part of a communion service. If you could just go and take the Eucharist when the Priest is not there on Sunday, why can't you do it on Monday? On Wednesday? On Sunday night after a visiting priest leaves?

In charity, perhaps your friends were thinking of a situation where you as an EMHC were asked to bring the Eucharist to someone sick or homebound and were getting it from the Tabernacle and taking it directly to them?

*I am in a place where Sunday Mass is not always available (really). However I have had two people whom I look towards for truthful answers regarding our Catholic faith - tell me that in the event there is no priest on a Sunday - I can go to the Tabernacle and receive from the Ciborium....REALLY? I have not done so and will not without knowing this is truly acceptable.

[/quote]

First off let’s look at the information you have provided. First, the tabernacle should always be locked and the key protected, so I would ask how do they gain access to the ciborium? Second, it is true that we cannot self communicate; even as a Deacon in the Mass I must receive from the priest celebrant not take the cup on my own to receive so I know as a lay person one cannot. Third, if there is no Mass then the pastor of the parish needs to be the person to schedule a communion service where a deacon, instituted acolyte or an EMHC can conduct the service according to guidelines provided in the Roman Missal and "Holy Communion and Worship of the Eucharist Outside Mass". There are differences if the service is lead by people other than priests or deacons.

Forth it is not the decision of the faithful to go to the tabernacle to receive communion, it is the pastor and/or bishop who decides. The faithful are not authorized at their leisure to go to the tabernacle and receive communion when they cannot go to Mass. It is only required as obligation to receive once a year, it is desired and encouraged to receive weekly or even daily but not required. The obligation is Mass attendance not reception of communion.

On the point which someone brought up, if my motive is to receive when I cannot go to Mass, then I cannot self communicate, but if I am serving as the one who presides at a communion service I must self communicate before distributing communion to the faithful present and a minister of communion to the home bound or infirmed can consume the remaining hosts if required to prevent profanation of the Eucharist after bringing communion to others at the request of the pastor. There is also the option, I should say requirement, to return the unused hosts back to the tabernacle directly after ministry is complete. If this is not possible, then yes you should consume the remaining hosts.

I would suggest talking to your priest. If there is no priest assigned to your parish, talk to your diocesan office of worship or your bishop.

[quote="Lapey, post:14, topic:287016"]

On the point which someone brought up, if my motive is to receive when I cannot go to Mass, then I cannot self communicate,** but if I am serving as the one who presides at a communion service I must self communicate before distributing communion to the faithful** present and a minister of communion to the home bound or infirmed can consume the remaining hosts if required to prevent profanation of the Eucharist after bringing communion to others at the request of the pastor. There is also the option, I should say requirement, to return the unused hosts back to the tabernacle directly after ministry is complete. If this is not possible, then yes you should consume the remaining hosts.

[/quote]

Deacon Lapey, you are allowed to self communicate in this case because you are ordained and presiding correct? Your ordination makes all the difference. An EMHC is still not allowed to self communicate regardless of the circumstances. I don't look at consuming the remaining hosts if need be self communicating because the intent is different. As you stated, sometimes it is required. Am I correct in what I'm thinking?

God Bless.

[quote="maltmom, post:15, topic:287016"]
Deacon Lapey, you are allowed to self communicate in this case because you are ordained and presiding correct? Your ordination makes all the difference. An EMHC is still not allowed to self communicate regardless of the circumstances. I don't look at consuming the remaining hosts if need be self communicating because the intent is different. As you stated, sometimes it is required. Am I correct in what I'm thinking?

God Bless.

[/quote]

No, a lay person can be commissioned by the pastor to conduct a communion service, as the lay presider that person would be required to self communicate. But the most important aspect here is that the pastor commissions the lay minister to perform this duty as an EMHC.

I forgot to mention, there is a protocal, first choice is a priest and Mass, second choice is a deacon led communion service, then duly instituted acolyte, then EMHC.

On the second point you are correct, the intent is key. You are providing a ministry, this may be required as part of the ministry; but remember you should bring the remaining hosts back if possible or practical. I hate to use the word practical, because it can be used to mean any case. Just use your best judgment and talk with your pastor who can give you specific guidelines.

[quote="Lapey, post:16, topic:287016"]
No, a lay person can be commissioned by the pastor to conduct a communion service, as the lay presider that person would be required to self communicate. But the most important aspect here is that the pastor commissions the lay minister to perform this duty as an EMHC.

On the second point you are correct, the intent is key. You are providing a ministry, this may be required as part of the ministry; but remember you should bring the remaining hosts back if possible or practical. I hate to use the word practical, because it can be used to mean any case. Just use your best judgment and talk with your pastor who can give you specific guidelines.

[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation. I am getting ready to be trained as an EMHC for the sick and home bound. I am looking forward to being a part of this ministry to others.

[quote="maltmom, post:17, topic:287016"]
Thank you for the explanation. I am getting ready to be trained as an EMHC for the sick and home bound. I am looking forward to being a part of this ministry to others.

[/quote]

That is an incredible ministry. To be with the faithful when they are at their weakest moments, possibly their last moments, you will witness the grace of God being poured out in these visits! Thank you for your ministry! God Bless you!

Going back a bit in this thread ;)

When I was an EMHC I worked in a school which had Mass every day unit our priest left the Diocese.

Until a new one was appointed we had Mass once a fortnight , celebrated by one of the local Priests - on the other 9 School days we had a Service of Holy Communion outwith Mass , led by one of the EHMCs. Usually enough Hosts were Consecrated at the fortnightly Mass and we did have somewhere very secure to keep them the Tabernacle in the School Chapel ]. If it looked as if we would not manage to have enough , even by dividing Hosts , we would contact one of the Local parishes and 2 EMHCs would go over with our Ciboria to Receive some from them .

We were instructed that there was always to be two of us present that way we could set up a rota for this ] One of the EHMCs read the Gospel and also administered Communion to the other EHMC who actually took the Service , and that EHMC then gave Communion to all others present.

This way the pupils could see that we did not self Communicate .

From my OP - I oversee a small Chapel in a remote place and cannot always have a priest here for Sunday Mass. Also one of the people that told me to take Holy Communion from the tabernacle was a person in a high level position within the diocese. Again - I have not done so - however the few people around me that are accostumed to having a Communion Service any day of the week do not understand why I am not offering them the Eucharist on Sunday. The Bishop that oversees this Chapel has allows a Sunday Communion Service only when a deacon is present - that is just as difficut as finding a priest. I have no problem with this - however others do...another reason why some Catholics are disgruntled with Mother Church...they do not understand the WHY.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.