Eucharist from the Tabernacle

[quote="jmjconder, post:20, topic:287016"]
From my OP - I oversee a small Chapel in a remote place and cannot always have a priest here for Sunday Mass. Also one of the people that told me to take Holy Communion from the tabernacle was a person in a high level position within the diocese. Again - I have not done so - however the few people around me that are accostumed to having a Communion Service any day of the week do not understand why I am not offering them the Eucharist on Sunday. The Bishop that oversees this Chapel has allows a Sunday Communion Service only when a deacon is present - that is just as difficut as finding a priest. I have no problem with this - however others do...another reason why some Catholics are disgruntled with Mother Church...they do not understand the WHY.

[/quote]

Does your bishop know about the Communion Services during the week?

[quote="Cathryn, post:21, topic:287016"]
Does your bishop know that you have Communion Services during the week?

[/quote]

I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what the OP is saying. I think he means that people know they can go to other parishes and attend a Communion Service any day of the week so they can't understand why they can't attend one at that chapel on Sunday.

If we had to wait for a deacon to have a Communion Service on Sunday we'd never have a Sunday Celebration of the Word. Deacons are as rare as hens' teeth in our neck of the woods.

[quote="Phemie, post:22, topic:287016"]
I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what the OP is saying. I think he means that people know they can go to other parishes and attend a Communion Service any day of the week so they can't understand why they can't attend one at that chapel on Sunday.

If we had to wait for a deacon to have a Communion Service on Sunday we'd never have a Sunday Celebration of the Word. Deacons are as rare as hens' teeth in our neck of the woods.

[/quote]

I am asking because the same people probably have the same bishop and he may not be allowing Communion Services during the week in his diocese. That doesn't mean this is followed in the individual parishes. Why be so careful to need a deacon on Sunday, but not during the week? That part doesn't make sense. My bishop doesn't allow Communion Services during the week. He only allows Communion Services only if there is no priest available on a Sunday. There is no real need during the week for a Communion Service.

[quote="Cathryn, post:23, topic:287016"]
I am asking because the same people probably have the same bishop and he may not be allowing Communion Services during the week in his diocese. That doesn't mean this is followed in the individual parishes. Why be so careful to need a deacon on Sunday, but not during the week? That part doesn't make sense. My bishop doesn't allow Communion Services during the week. He only allows Communion Services only if there is no priest available on a Sunday. There is no real need during the week for a Communion Service.

[/quote]

I know that we should never assume but I get the impression that the Chapel doesn't fall under the local diocesan bishop and that may be why the rules for the diocese and those for the chapel are different. Of course I may be waaaaaayyyyy off base.

[quote="Phemie, post:24, topic:287016"]
I know that we should never assume but I get the impression that the Chapel doesn't fall under the local diocesan bishop and that may be why the rules for the diocese and those for the chapel are different. Of course I may be waaaaaayyyyy off base.

[/quote]

If the chapel is not under the diocesan bishop I do not think that lay people are allowed to serve as EMHCs there.

All Diocesian Chapels and Oratories fall under the Bishops Authority.

[quote="Cathryn, post:21, topic:287016"]
Does your bishop know about the Communion Services during the week?

[/quote]

**There may have been Communion Services in the past during the week...not since I have been here. The lack of weekday Communion Services is not the issue - it is the Communion Service for Sunday.

I love my Bishop and will do ANYTHING he asks...so if he does not want the Chapel to have a Communion Service without a Mass or Deacon I am fully OK with that...however there are those that are close by that have been use to having Holy Communion even when there is not Priest or Deacon.

My OP was concerning going to the Tabnernacle to receive Holy Communion when there was no Mass or approved Communion Service.**

My OP was concerning going to the Tabnernacle to receive Holy Communion when there was no Mass or approved Communion Service.

Your instincts are correct here. There is not going to be any document regarding this because this is outside the role of the EMHC. The role of the EMHC is to help the priest distribute Holy Communion to the faithful during Mass if it is really needed, and to those who are too sick to come to Mass. It is a very specific role and only as needed by the priest or bishop in charge. An EMHC can not take the Eucharist from the tabernacle for self communication, or even to provide HC to parishioners who are used to having daily Communion. If your priest or bishop authorizes an approved Communion Service and tells you to conduct it, then all is good.

Here is some information from the USCCB:

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/resources-for-the-eucharist/weekday-celebrations/weekday-celebrations-in-the-absence-of-a-priest.cfm

"Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest" (although you say your bishop reserves this only to a deacon.)

[quote="Cathryn, post:28, topic:287016"]
Your instincts are correct here. There is not going to be any document regarding this because this is outside the role of the EMHC.

[/quote]

Actually, there is a document which I posted as a source when the OP had asked. Apparently, it was either missed, or wasn't seen as being a good enough of a source. Either way, the Church has cleared up the matter. Here it is again for anyone who missed it in my earlier post.

Inaestimabile donum (Instruction Concerning Worship of the Eucharistic Mystery) by the Sacred Congregation for the Sacraments and Divine Worship Approved and Confirmed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II April 17, 1980; Section A (The Mass) #9. It can be googled or looked up on the Vatican website.

[quote="anonymous_in_fl, post:6, topic:287016"]
I would suggest contacting the Liturgist at your Diocesan Office and ask them for an opinion. They are usually very well informed on all sorts of rubrics for liturgical practices.

On another note: Even if one is a Eucharistic Minister, it doesnt seem "proper" to just go help oneself to the Eucharist! At least it should be another EM going with you to the tabernacle and giving you the Eucharist --- kinda like how it is done when taking Communion to the sick or homebound.

Just my 2 cents worth.

[/quote]

Please do not ask me to explain...your first suggestion??? Not an option.

[quote="Phemie, post:24, topic:287016"]

[/quote]

**This place does fall under the local Bishop. Communion Services during the week are not the issue - since the documents of the Church do not allow for this practice.

IMHO - Communion Servies are one the greater under explained traditions of our faith. There is no commandament that says Catholics need to receive Holy Communion every day. Having Communion Services separates the Sacrament and the Sacrifice. Read this great article from the Bishop of Rockville Center.**

catholicnewsagency.com/news/bishop_of_rockville_centre_forbids_weekday_communion_services/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.