Eucharist is Spiritual food, right? Why do we need Spiritual food? Spiritual?

I believe being Spiritual is getting closer to Jesus so we can live His Word. I wonder what you all believe?

Jesus instituted a Church and told us that He wanted us to live a certain way. One of the things He wanted us to do was to eat of His Flesh and drink of His Blood. To not partake of the Eucharist is not doing what Jesus asked of us, therefore I am not becoming closer to Him as you described.

Jesus loves us so much that he gave us the most precious and sacred gift, His Body, Blood, Soul and His Divinity in the form of bread for us to eat it in order to be as close to Him as we can.

If you live his Word then you will obey his Word when he said in no uncertain terms that whoever did not eat his flesh and drink his blood has no life in him.

John 6:
53: So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54: he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55: For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56: He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57: As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58: This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever.”

It is not merely spiritual.

[quote=Robert Heibel]I believe being Spiritual is getting closer to Jesus so we can live His Word. I wonder what you all believe?
[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean by the term “Spiritual” but I agree that we all - as followers of Christ - should strive to get closer to Jesus so that we can live lives of active faith. Catholics believe that following the Lord’s commandments is one way of getting closer to him, and in his ministry Jesus expressly commanded us, His followers, to eat his flesh and drink his blood, not in just a spiritual or symbolic way, but in a real sense, just as the jews ate the manna from Heaven provided by God. (Read John 6:35-71.) So, the short answer to the question in the heading of your post is, The Eucharist is not just spiritual food, it is the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ. And we know we need it because He told us we need it when He was living among us.

If the Eucharist is Spiritual food what was Christs spiritual food? :confused: God Bless

Our souls need nourishment from Christ.

He commanded us to Eat and Drink in Memory of Him.

Can’t get any closer to Jesus on this earth than to have him within you through the Eucharist.

Certainly can distance oneself from Jesus on this earth by ignoring His commandment though.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]If the Eucharist is Spiritual food what was Christs spiritual food? :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Because HE IS/**I AM .:wink: **

[quote=SPOKENWORD]If the Eucharist is Spiritual food what was Christs spiritual food? :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Is this what you had in mind?
[size=1]31Meanwhile the disciples besought him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” 32But he said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.” 33So the disciples said to one another, “Has any one brought him food?” 34Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work. (John 4:31-34)

[/size]

[quote=Todd Easton]Is this what you had in mind?
[size=1]31[/size]Meanwhile the disciples besought him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” 32But he said to them, “I have food to eat of which you do not know.” 33So the disciples said to one another, “Has any one brought him food?” 34Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work. (John 4:31-34)

[/quote]

Amen, :thumbsup:The harvest is ready and the workers are few. God Bless

[/quote]

Welcome back, Spokes!

And the answer is . . . . (drum roll): “To do the will of my father!”

[quote=arieh0310]John 6:
53: So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
54: he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.
55: For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56: He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.
57: As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me.
58: This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever."

It is not merely spiritual.
[/quote]

I receive the Eucharist regularly and I value it very much but I ask you to reconsider your use of the word “merely”.

63 “It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” (I know there is a footnote in the NAB that tries to deflect that possibility that the spirit matters but, footnotes in the NAB do have their reputation)

And from chapter 4 of John
24 “God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth.”

Just as Jesus is fed by do his Father’s will so are we fed most completely by doing Jesus’s. See verse 57 as you quoted above.

peace

-Jim

[quote=trogiah]I receive the Eucharist regularly and I value it very much but I ask you to reconsider your use of the word “merely”.

63 “It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”

And from chapter 4 of John
24 “God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and truth.”
[/quote]

I didn’t mean for the word “merely” to diminish the spiritual aspect of the Eucharist, maybe “purely” or “only” would be more accurate. What I caution with my Protestant friends is to not diminish the literal meaning of John 6. When they quote verse 63 they actually prove too much, if Christ’s flesh was of no avail then why did he become flesh? If Christ’s flesh was of no avail then maybe the Arians were right.

[quote=mercygate]Welcome back, Spokes!

And the answer is . . . . (drum roll): “To do the will of my father!”
[/quote]

Amen :thumbsup: Lord have Mercy. Thanks Mercygate. God Bless

[quote=Robert Heibel]I believe being Spiritual is getting closer to Jesus so we can live His Word. I wonder what you all believe?
[/quote]

The spirtual food we receive in the Eucharist is the infusion of actual grace into our soul. Our soul is not material and neither is grace

It is fitting that since Man is the union of matter and spirit, God provided a way to receive spiritual nourishment through a physical means: the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ.

Yesterday after i received communion, i was thinking why? Why his body and his blood. An a little story came to me. Two men alone in the desert, nothing around for hundreds of miles. With his dying breath one tells the other to eat him, it’s the only way he can live long enough to get out of the desert.
The one man thinks he can’t do it. Then he remembers how much his friend did for him and how much he loved him. An he knows that he would want to see him get out of here alive. So he does the unthinkable, because his friend told him to.

I don’t know why. it just sorta came to me like that.

Jesus said take and eat, not take and understand…

• C.S. Lewis

Physical (societal) Needs: Spiritual Needs:
We are born BaptismWe mature ConfirmationWe need nourishment Eucharist
We heal our wounds ReconciliationWe drive out disease Anointing of the Sick
We propagate the species MatrimonyWe need a governing body Holy Orders

I think about what the real presense in the Eucharist means to me:

1. I must keep the temple clean and holy in which God resides. So this reality encourages me to make myself holy.

2. I am not only a member of Christ’s Body spiritually, but physically as well. I think about the reality that Jesus’ Body and Blood are physically here on earth in the bodies of His people. How should we treat one another, with that in mind?

3. How humble must Jesus have been to not only take on human flesh, but to give that flesh as a sacrifice to be tortured and mocked, and then to give that flesh to be eaten by the creatures He created. Truely Awesome! And we are called to be humble like Jesus was humble. Wow!

4. It is a Mystery beyond our human comprehension. This leads to a sense of awe and wonder, and humility.

The ramifications of the reality of the real presense in the Eucharist are perhaps endless…all leading us toward goodness and ultimately to God. Perhaps that is why we need this spiritual food.

[quote=arieh0310] . . . What I caution with my Protestant friends is to not diminish the literal meaning of John 6. When they quote verse 63 they actually prove too much, if Christ’s flesh was of no avail then why did he become flesh? If Christ’s flesh was of no avail then maybe the Arians were right.
[/quote]

This little point is dynamite! – Drives me :whacky: when people are smarter than I am. :thumbsup:

[quote=mercygate]This little point is dynamite! – Drives me :whacky: when people are smarter than I am. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

God is Spirit. Without flesh Jesus Christ would have been an illegal alien. :eek: How else could we have see Him without no flesh? There wouldn,t be a crucifiction without the Flesh. :confused: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.