Eucharist minister?

Can a divorced person give and receive the Eucharist?

[quote=CatMan]Can a divorced person give and receive the Eucharist?
[/quote]

Yes, as long as they are living chastely and are not in a state of mortal sin. If they remarried without an annulement, then they could not. As long as they stay single (or get an annullment) then they are in good standing with the Church.

If they remarried without an annulement, then they could not.

If they are seeking an annulment and living “as brother and sister” with their spouse, I believe they could.

Can anyone who is having a sexual affair become a Eucharist miniser?

[quote=Sirach14]Can anyone who is having a sexual affair become a Eucharist miniser?
[/quote]

I think you may want to replace the word “can” with the word “should.”

Can a person rob a bank? Technically, yes. Should they? No.

Having a sexual affair puts the person in a state of mortal sin, thus they are not in a state of Grace and should not be distributing the Eucharist.

P.S. the term “Eucharistic Minister” is no longer in use. The term used now is “Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.”

[quote=RichSpidizzy]P.S. the term “Eucharistic Minister” is no longer in use. The term used now is “Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion.”
[/quote]

Properly, the term “Eucharistic Minister” is still used, but it refers to a priest or deacon.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Properly, the term “Eucharistic Minister” is still used, but it refers to a priest or deacon.
[/quote]

Yes, you are absolutely right. I was speaking strictly in terms of the laity and I should have made that clear. Thanks for clearing that up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.