Eucharist of Desire

Baptism of desire is when a person wishes to be baptized, explicitly or not, but dies first. God may grant them this baptism upon death so they may enter heaven as Jesus made it clear noone enters heaven without baptism.

But Jesus also made it clear that we must eat his body and drink his blood to have life. Since Catholics believe that the Eucharist is an extension of baptism, the fulfillment of it, it makes sense that there is a ‘Eucharist of desire’ of sorts, where the person is filled with life and partakes in the divine nature before death as well.

Thoughts?

We cannot receive the full grace of the Eucharist when not partaking of it but can receive some consolation when we pray the Act of Spiritual Communion.

An Act of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

Of course! As we read what Jesus said in John 6:56, “He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, abideth in me, and I in him.”

And remember what the Our Father teaches us…That God’s ‘will be done on earth as it is in Heaven
So yes we can desire to take part in the divine work(I wouldn’t call it partake in divine nature yet just to be safe) of God by doing his will. His will is constantly being done in Heaven. So we must strive to do it here on earth. And with the Holy Eucharist as our strength and inspiration where can we go wrong? Remember that the words “The mass is ended. Go in Peace” doesnt really mean to just go back home and be a couch potato. No no my friend. The work has just begun. It’s almost the priest says, “You have eating your share of the Bread of Angels. Now go out into the world and fulfill God’s work. May the Bread of Angels- the Eucharist be your shield and life.”

Just be sure to go to confession first:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this prayer. I yearn to receive Jesus but I won’t be baptised and confirmed until next Easter. This is a wonderful prayer to say [edited] :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.