Eucharist Readings 10/6/13

In the readings, the priest read a passage that stated something like God gives us salvation because we participate in the eucharistic sacrifice performed at the Mass. I asked the priest if he had chosen the reading and he said he hadn't, and stated it was a mandated reading for this particular Mass. Can anyone tell me where I can find today's Eucharist readings?

Thanks

There is no reading from Scripture which contains the words "Eucharist" or "Mass" because these were later additions to Tradition. If such a reading was at Mass then it seems to me an abuse, unless the priest in his homily quoted an ECF or something like that.

(Yes, the Greek NT contains "Eucharistxariste/w_v--aapnsm-_p")" in places even where Jesus shared bread, but in English translations we will not hear the Lord's Supper referred in this way.)

[BIBLEDRB]Mark 8:6[/BIBLEDRB]
[BIBLEDRB]Mark 14:23[/BIBLEDRB]

[quote="tlnd, post:1, topic:341302"]
Can anyone tell me where I can find today's Eucharist readings?

Thanks

[/quote]

catholic.org/bible/daily_reading/?select_date=2013-10-06
I see the Gospel reading (Gospel, Luke 17:5-10) isn't there.
Here it is:

[5] And the apostles said to the Lord: Increase our faith. [6] And the Lord said: If you had faith like to a grain of mustard seed, you might say to this mulberry tree, Be thou rooted up, and be thou transplanted into the sea: and it would obey you. [7] But which of you having a servant ploughing, or feeding cattle, will say to him, when he is come from the field: Immediately go, sit down to meat: [8] And will not rather say to him: Make ready my supper, and gird thyself, and serve me, whilst I eat and drink, and afterwards thou shalt eat and drink? [9] Doth he thank that servant, for doing the things which he commanded him? [10] I think not. So you also, when you shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: We are unprofitable servants; we have done that which we ought to do.

Douay-Rheims Bible

The USCCB is a better resource for Lectionary readings, considering that they hold the copyright to the NAB.

However, the readings do not have the meaning given as the OP's passage so I am at a loss to explain its reading at his Mass.

The priest in the OP is right. It is not explicit in the readings but implied. It is about the precepts of the Church, the absolute minimum each of us must do in order to be saved.

In the Gospel reading for 10/6/2013, Jesus is speaking specifically to the 12 Apostles.

**"Who among you would say to your servant
who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field,
'Come here immediately and take your place at table'?
Would he not rather say to him,
'Prepare something for me to eat.
Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink.
You may eat and drink when I am finished'?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded,
say, 'We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.'"
(Luke 17:7-10)*

Though Jesus was God, he became like a servant. Jesus came to serve and not be served. The Apostles were to do the same, to serve the faithful and not be served by the faithful. Jesus tells the Apostles that they must do more than just the minimum. This lesson is applicable to the successors to the Apostles, the bishops today, and by extension the priests and deacons who receive their faculties from the bishop and have power to administer the sacraments only because of the existence of the Bishop. If all the priests and bishops and deacons do is say Mass and sit in the confessional one hour per week, they are doing the absolute minimum and are unprofitable servants.

The parable is about the leadership of the Church through the Apostles and their successors. It is about saying Mass, administering the sacraments and the salvation of souls as servants, not as exalted leaders. The main way that the shepherds lead us to salvation is through the Mass and the Eucharist. But that is just the beginning. They are to do more because saying Mass is their absolute minimum requirement.

We are to do more as well. The precepts of the Church tell us the minimum we must do in order to be saved - Go to Mass every Sunday and days of obligation, go to confession once each year, receive the Eucharist once per year, abstain on Friday, etc. If this is all we do however, we have done the absolute minimum.

-Tim-

At the US Conference of Catholic Bishops website, you can read the New American Bible, Revised Edition, used at US liturgies; subscribe to the daily readings email, and see a calendar with all the daily readings.

usccb.org/bible/

It sounds more like the wording of one of the Collects or Prefaces to me.

OP, where was he standing when he said it? At the altar reading from the book there or at the ambo/in the pulpit (wherever the other readings are done from) ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.