Eucharist - The House of Bread

I thought it was interesting to learn that the name “Bethlehem” in Hebrew, means ‘house of bread’ and the Arabic version means ‘house of flesh’ or ‘house of meat’.

This seems to have strong parallels with the Catholic idea of the eucharist - seeing bread and flesh together in a supernatural way.

newadvent.org/cathen/02533a.htm

christiananswers.net/dictionary/bethlehem.html

members.aol.com/goodnews77/footnote_bethlehem.htm

Christians believe that God talks to us through the scriptures in metaphorical signs that are then fulfilled in ways according to His plan for salvation.

Is this one of those cases, where the incarnation of God on earth happens in Bethlehem - the house of bread.

Actually the word can in hebrew alone can mean either meat or bread. It is just a reference to food.

From strongs hebrew dictionary:

H3899
לחם
lechem
lekh’-em
From H3898; food (for man or beast), especially bread, or grain (for making it): - ([shew-]) bread, X eat, food, fruit, loaf, meat, victuals. See also H1036.

I suppose you can say there is an interesting connection there. Obviously God knew the meaning of the name before he was incarnate there.

Take care,
Jeff

Also, the fact that Jesus, born in Bethlehem, was then laid in the manger…which is, of course, where animals traditionally eat.

Huh. Wow! I never heard of that before. Thanks for bringing it up!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.