Eucharist vs. Unconsecrated Host

When He says the flesh profits nothing, He does not mean His flesh. To say His Flesh profits nothing would be the height of blasphemy. He became flesh, suffered and died on the Cross in the flesh to profit our salvation. He means what St. Paul means when he discusses the flesh, that is the lower appetites which refuse to accept the miracles of Jesus and which work agains the Spirit, that is, the Truth.

:thumbsup:

We all have different experiences and God reveals himself in various ways. As huge part of my conversion was ending up in an adoration room and finding myself completely overwhelmed by a feeling of the purest love I’d ever felt and that was around a year and a half before my conversion. It was a moment that is etched on my brain so strongly and since then the Eucharistic presence of Christ is so strong to me :slight_smile:

If this passage is so clear, can you show me the earliest Church teachings that claimed the bread and wine are symbolic. We have ECF’s that were taught by the same Apostle that wrote this Gospel. Surely he echoes his mentor’s writings.

Hi, C Bautista

Maybe this view point willl help . Genesis 14: 18- Melchizedek king of salem brought bread and wine; he was a priest of God Most High.

In light of the bread of life discourse and the last supper. I don’t think this it’s just coincidence. Just watching the priest make the offering as Melchizedek did, and Jesus, is truly providence.

Psalm 14, is a good read also.

Peace, OneNow1

Just to clarify, I’m not at all questioning the Real Presence of Christ in the most holy sacrament; nor am I trying to insinuate that the Eucharist is not God Himself given to us.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about being consciously aware of the actual spiritual grace from the Eucharist. I, for one, think I would be hard-pressed to distinguish between the effects of grace from the Eucharist and the effects of grace from prayer and meditation after I THOUGHT I received the Eucharist. Surely my soul would be aware, but I’m not sure that my entire person would be consciously and instantly aware.

But, to be sure, I’m not saying there isn’t a substantive difference in a consecrated and unconsecrated host. There is all the difference in the world. :thumbsup:

Adoration is a good testament to this, I think. :slight_smile: The moment in my life when I have been most aware of God’s presence and in a state that I cannot even describe (or even THINK of) in physical terms was during adoration. Perhaps something similar to what holy men and women who can place themselves into contemplative prayer experience, except they constantly experience it.

How do you define mysticism? And what sort of mystical things happen to or through you?

Like I said… it’s extremely hard to put into words.

St. John of the Cross is an example, Francis of Assisi, Padre Pio.

I think that I’d have to say that the answer to your question is both.:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.