Eucharist

Christ said “Do this in remembrance of me” So why is it that the Catholic religion has instituted that it must be done in Church? Why cant we do it at home like the first Christians must have?

Do you know anyone with that much seating who wants to host several hundred people in a day of worship?

It seems only natural that the early Christians, afraid of persecution and cowering in their homes, would welcome the chance to breathe freely and worship in a public space, just like their brethren the Jews did at synagogue.

Most churches are community centers, a “home away from home” for all who live in a geographical parish. This is as close to a home as we can get and stay practical.

1Co 11:18 For first of all I hear that when you come together in the church, there are schisms among you. And in part I believe it.
1Co 11:19 For there must be also heresies: that they also, who are approved may be made manifest among you.
1Co 11:20 When you come therefore together into one place, it is not now to eat the Lord’s supper.
1Co 11:21 For every one taketh before his own supper to eat. And one indeed is hungry and another is drunk.
1Co 11:22 What, have you no houses to eat and to drink in? Or despise ye the church of God and put them to shame that have not? What shall I say to you? Do I praise you? In this I praise you not.
1Co 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread,
1Co 11:24 And giving thanks, broke and said: Take ye and eat: This is my body, which shall be delivered for you. This do for the commemoration of me.
1Co 11:25 In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood. This do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me.
1Co 11:26 For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come.
1Co 11:27 Therefore, whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.
1Co 11:28 But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread and drink of the chalice.
1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.
1Co 11:30 Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you: and many sleep.
1Co 11:31 But if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1Co 11:32 But whilst we are judged, we are chastised by the Lord, that we be not condemned with this world.
1Co 11:33 Wherefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.
1Co 11:34 If any man be hungry, let him eat at home; that you come not together unto judgment. And the rest I will set in order, when I come.

This shows that the Eucharist was shared in the ‘Church’. Would you care to share the scriptures showing it was also done in private homes?

Along with the above posters, if you **really wanted **to have the Eucharist ‘the way it was’ you’ll need to find some nice robes (but not made from two different types of cloth!)and sandals (remember you’ll probably only have one or two, and a cloak to sleep in), get rid of your electricity and toilet and even your home, find yourself a nice camel, and some work in the professions that were around in AD 33 --you know, tentmaker, ship builder, money lender, fisherman-- that is if you’re male. If you’re a woman, you’ll have to let your father or husband decide what you may do.

Remember when you visit the ‘home’ that you RECLINE (lie down) at table to eat. Hope you like a nice Mediterranean diet from AD 33! No refrigerators though.

And be sure to keep your loins ‘girt’ because any moment you could get a one-way ticket to the nearest Lions game --and not in Detroit --:eek:

It should be noted that MANY denominations, including the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Lutherans, Anglicans, and Episcopalians also hold it within a church setting. Taken all together, that equals more than 80% of ALL Christians…

It can be done in a home, but the church building is a dedicated sacred space for gathering and prayers. But if it gets down to it, the Liturgy can be held anywhere.

In addition, as noted in Acts 2, the early Christians broke bread everyday…so the OP better be prepared to host the Mass everyday.

Acts 2:

46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.