Eucharist

Hi,

This question has been discussed before I know. I still haven't come to terms within myself about the answer.

Is it okay to go to mass on Saturday night and take communion and again sometime on Sunday and take communion again?

The reason I'm doing it is because I have been having a tough time lately and doing this helps to give me the strength to keep going.

I was told the rule is once per day but ok to be twice per day on Saturdays since there are different readings.

I'm not trying to abuse the communion. I really have been having a hard time with life and doing this has been helping me cope.

But depending on whom I speak to I get a variety of different answers...

Thanks.

[quote="Ekaterina, post:1, topic:316993"]
Hi,

This question has been discussed before I know. I still haven't come to terms within myself about the answer.

Is it okay to go to mass on Saturday night and take communion and again sometime on Sunday and take communion again?

The reason I'm doing it is because I have been having a tough time lately and doing this helps to give me the strength to keep going.

I was told the rule is once per day but ok to be twice per day on Saturdays since there are different readings.

I'm not trying to abuse the communion. I really have been having a hard time with life and doing this has been helping me cope.

But depending on whom I speak to I get a variety of different answers...

Thanks.

[/quote]

Yes...lots of people do this. I myself do this. In general it is ok to receive up to twice a day but the second time MUST be participation in a Mass.

You can receive the Eucharist twice in one day on any day, provided that the second time is at Mass. The readings do not have anything to do with whether or not you can receive.

Can.* 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.

Note that the day is midnight to midnight in this matter, and in most instances in canon law. If a different meaning is intended it will be specified in that law.

Yes.

(For once my reply is shorter than 1ke’s :D)

You can receive Communion Saturday morning, again at a Saturday afternoon or evening mass, again Sunday morning, and again at a Sunday afternoon or evening mass.

I was under the impression participation meant I had to serve in the mass in some way? Does it mean sitting, standing, kneeling in the church, reading along with the daily reading and praying the prayers? If so then I am relieved of much guilt. Thanks for your responses everyone.

[quote="Ekaterina, post:7, topic:316993"]
I was under the impression participation meant I had to serve in the mass in some way? Does it mean sitting, standing, kneeling in the church, reading along with the daily reading and praying the prayers? If so then I am relieved of much guilt. Thanks for your responses everyone.

[/quote]

Yes, it means sitting, standing, kneeling in the church, reading along with the daily reading and praying the prayers; participating as a part of the congregation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.