eucharist

I know that catholics believe in transbsantation. A priest told me that it’s just a word that means real presence. That the way it becomes the body and blood of Christ is a mystery. That’s what t he Anglicans believes. They say that the bread and wine is Christ,they just don’t say how it’s just a mystery above all understanding.Just don’t use a big word To me it is the same belief. Someone will say that Anglicans don’t have valid priests so no eucharist. But put all that aside isn’t the belief the same. I’am not saying that they should have intercommunion but maybe somday.

While the belief may be the same, or similar, the reality is far different. Anglicans who were, for whatever reason, dissatisfied with their current communion requested an avenue for entering into full communion with the Catholic Church. This has now been established via the Personal Ordinariate. For them, it takes all the worry out of being close. In the interim, it is proper for us to pray for Christian unity.

I would say that what the priest told you is rather simplistic. However, Anglicans do not all believe the same. Some do, others do not. Anyway, there are many other areas that would need to change for there to be inter-communion - e.g. women priests, priestly ordination, sacramental beliefs, etc., etc. There are many differences between us, unfortunately, and the gap is not narrowing.

I may be wrong, but as far as I’m aware Anglicans believe in consubstantiation and not transubstantiation.

Consubstantiation is the believe that during the eucharistic prayer Christ becomes present alongside the bread and wine, but the substance of bread and wine does not transform to that of Christ.

Whereas in the Catholic Church, we believe that through transubstantiation, the substances of bread and wine transform to the substance of Christ, so that the bread and wine have actually become Christ.

The other thing to remember with this is that Anglicans believe that once the Eucharistic celebration is finished, then Christ departs, even if there is bread and wine left over. On the other hand, Catholics believe that Christ is still present with us under the appearance of bread and wine, and this is why we have Eucharistic Adoration and the likes.

I hope this helps.

You will find with Anglicans there are a variety of views. Anglo-catholics will certainly believe in the real presence. They will give the sacred species the utmost respect and honour. At the opposite end of the spectrum are Evangelicals. They probably don’t have weekly Eucharist. They have services given names such as All Age Worship. They don’t accept the real presence and don’t treat what they believe to be still bread and wine with any particular honour. As you rightly say they can’t have the real presence. In the case of Anglo-catholics they probably use the correct matter, say the proper form and the minister will more than likely have the appropriate intent. What they lack is valid orders so Anglican ministers are unable to confect the Eucharist.

There are two kind of churches in anglicanism,high and low, A high church will reserve the eucharist for the sick not to worship.They believe that Christ remains even after the service. Priests will wear vestments,holywater and incense.Low church doesn’t do any of the above.They believe that preaching is more important then the sacarments. The pulpit is put in front of the altar and they may believe that Chrst presence is around them not in the bread and wine.

I know that the Catholic church believes that Anglican orders are in vaild. I think there may be some Anglican priests may. They may if there where PNCC bishops at their ordaination

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.