Eucharist

My friend got back from a mission trip about two years ago and was hospitalized for almost three months with awful pains. After numerous tests, she was diagnosed with Celiac disease. She told us that she is extremely allergic to Gluten, an agent found in wheat.

She cannot receive the Eucharist, because Cannon law dictates that a certain percentage of wheat must be present in it. They make special hosts with a decreased percentage of wheat in them, but even then, she can only have that about every 2 months. Most of the time, she cannot even receive the Precious Blood because of cross contamination.

If the Eucharist is the true Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ our Lord, then why is this effecting her? I truly believe it Is His True Presence in the Eucharist, but this event shakes my faith.

Catholic Celiac Society
catholicceliacs.org/

God lovingly chose to give us His body & blood, in a non bloody manner. That means under the appearance of bread & wine. Would you prefer actually sipping blood? I am thankful for this. While your body will perceive it as bread & wine, your spirit recognizes it as Jesus. You receive many graces which help you both now in your daily life, and also reward you in your next life. Your eyes will tell you that oxygen does not exist, and yet you know it does. The Spirit world is often beyond our basic senses given us for our earthly existence.

A separate chalice can be consecrated for her, with which no host is mixed. She needs to bring this to her pastor’s attention.

Your friend should try to be the first in the communion line. If I were your friend I would let the wine touch my lips. She doesn’t need to drink a large quantity for God to bless her. She doesn’t need to consume the host ever. Consuming minute amounts of wine is sufficient to be valid. :slight_smile:

Well put.:thumbsup:

The church teaches that the substance of the bread and wine is changed into the body and blood of Christ but the physical aspects remain.The official term is transubstantiation.For this reason it still looks and tastes like bread and wine and the alcohol content remains present.God in His wisdom knows that it would be repulsive to consume human flesh and drink blood.Hence He gives us His body and blood in a way which we can consume it.Have no doubts about this miraculous transformation,throughout the centuries there have been many Eucharistic miracles where the bread and wine have actually become human flesh and human blood.The miracles are all well documented and have undergone scientific testing.Not too long ago- a few years ago there was a Eucharistic miracle in Argentina,I believe within the past few months there was one in Mexico.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.