Eucharist

I’m beginning to have doubts whether the Eucharist is completely changed to the flesh and blood of Jesus.

If people can get drunk or get allergic reactions off it, doesn’t that mean that it’s still partially wine and bread?

The appearance of bread and wine remain. Therefore why would you doubt because someone can have an allergic reaction or feel the effects of wine? Our senses (all of them) do not perceive the change. It is indeed a miracle of transformation nonetheless. No different than the 5 loaves and 2 fish distributed to 5000, nor the water changed to wine at the wedding feast of Cana. IOW, this is a miracle of Faith. Just as Jesus only appeared to his faithful followers after His Resurrection, only those with Faith can see Jesus in the bread and wine of the Eucharist. Don’t falter (like Peter) over the waves in the sea, keep your eyes on Jesus, and your doubts will vanish.

You are not the first to doubt (see below). For me, I believe 100%.

“A monastic priest doubted whether the Body of Our Lord was truly present in the Consecrated Host."

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/english_pdf/Lanciano1.pdf

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/english_pdf/Lanciano2.pdf

I pray that you will be blessed to fully believe.

It is a test, but it is by testing that faith may be strengthened.

Think about it: If circumstances were other than you note, you would be able to prove the real presence, by noting the effect (or lack thereof) of the elements on persons susceptible to the conditions above. You would have no need of faith! :eek:

Put another way: What is it do you suppose causes allergic reactions and alcoholic responses in some individuals? The *substance *of the elements? Or the *accidents *of the elements?

tee

Hi randomusername :slight_smile:

We believe when at His Last Supper, Jesus said: “This is my body”, what he held in his hands still had all the appearances of bread: the “species” or “accidents” remained unchanged. However, when Jesus made that declaration, the underlying reality (the “substance”) of the bread was changed into that of his body, blood, soul and divinity. In other words, it actually was his body, blood, soul and divinity, while all the appearances open to the senses or to scientific investigation (accidents) were still those of bread, exactly as before. We believe the same change of the substance of the bread and of the wine occurs at the consecration of the Eucharist.

Thus people can still get sick/intoxicated from the accidents or species that remain.

Now, you might be thinking “Couldn’t this just be all in our head, after all, if this change isn’t open to the physical senses how do we know it has actually changed? Let alone to the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ?” and this is where scripture comes into it, John 6, personal experience, faith and I believe we are also reassured of this teaching through the so many Eucharistic Miracles that have taken place throughout the history of the Catholic Church, just like the people were reassured before such teaching by Jesus’ feeding of the five thousand men.

What are Eucharistic Miracles? Throughout the history of the Catholic Church, Jesus has proven beyond any doubt that He is truly present in the Holy Eucharist. Why did He have to prove this to us? It is because at certain times in history, there were heresies that denied the Real Presence in the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. On other occasions, some priests doubted the Real Presence of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. And yet, on other occasions, the Holy Eucharist was abused by believers and non-believers alike.

What follows are some of the Eucharistic Miracles that took place throughout the history of the Catholic Church. All of these have received the full approval of the Catholic Church.

Eucharistic Miracles of the World - therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/engl_mir.htm

I would like to draw particular attention to two recent Eucharistic Miracles that have undergone vigerous scientific analysis.

Eucharistic Miracle of Poland, Sokólka, October 12, 2008

Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 1) – (PDF: 1.41M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 2) – (PDF: 1.31M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 3) – (PDF: 1.41M)

And the Eucharistic Miracles of Argentina, Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996

(note: The scientific investigations into this Eucharistic Miracle were instigated by Pope Francis then known as the Argentina Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio).

Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 1) - (PDF: 1.46M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 2) - (PDF: 1.42M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 3) - (PDF: 1.25M)

Please continue to next post -

Please continue to next post -

The Sacred Heart Image (St Margaret-Mary Alacoque) -

http://s7.postimg.org/4jx43bm1n/Christ_7.jpg

This is the revelation which took place in June 1675 when St Margaret Mary was before the Blessed Sacrament (The Holy Eucharist). Our Lord said to her:

**"Behold this Heart, Which has loved men so much, that It has spared nothing, even to exhausting **(Crucifixion) **and consuming Itself, **(Last Supper, Eucharist) **in order to testify to them Its love; and in return I receive from the greater number nothing but ingratitude by reason of their irreverence and sacrileges, and by the coldness and contempt which they show Me in this Sacrament of Love. **(Referring to how people treat His real presense in the Holy Eucharist). But what I feel the most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus. Therefore, I ask of thee that the Friday after the Octave of Corpus Christi be set apart for a special feast to honour My Heart, by communicating on that day and making reparation to It by a solemn act, in order to make amends for the indignities which It has received during the time It has been exposed on the altars. I promise thee that My Heart shall expand Itself to shed in abundance the influence of Its divine love upon those who shall thus honour It, and cause It to be honoured."

What I also find interesting, is this occured in 1675 before any Eucharistic Miracle could be scientifically analysed as thoroughly as the ones above have, and in the Eucharistic miracles linked above (also Lanciano) we find that it’s not just any human tissue, but more specific, heart muscle tissue (Cardiac Muscle Tissue) and in Argentina, from the left ventricle of the Heart, which is the muscle that gives the heart it’s beat!

I hope this has helped, :slight_smile:

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

:thumbsup:

Thanks, God Bless, Memaw

All it means is that St. Thomas Aquinas was right about transubstantiation. The accidents really do stay the same even though the substance changes. :wink:

Think of the analogy of your body. Over the course of years your hair color, skin tone, size and shape change. In fact, every single cell in your body is replaced over time. In other words, the “accidents” (those visible/sensible things that we see or experience) of your body are changing. However…it is still you! Despite your body changing over time, your essence does not change…it is still you. The Eucharist is just the opposite…at the consecration the accidents of bread and wine (that which we can see/sense/measure) do not change…but the essence (what it actually IS) is changed into the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ!

Remember the Pange Lingua Gloriosi.

The Incarnate Word makes by his word
true bread into flesh.
And he makes wine the blood of Christ.
And if the sense fails to confirm the sincere heart
faith alone suffices.

No, Jesus is and will always be present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. Pray the rosary if you have doubts or read the bible especially the last supper. Every-time we attend mass Jesus is dying for us on the cross out of love, the greatest gift God has given us is the Eucharist. Sometimes I get a feeling after I receive the Eucharist it only stays a few moments but I wish I could feel like that forever! I cannot explain it properly but I know Jesus is with me.

That’s beautiful! I love the image of Our Lord

Find the nearest parish that offers adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Then go and spend time in His presence. Be as patient with Him as He has been with you. And, when you are aware that He is there, you will be changed.

The Holy Bible mentions similar miracles where things weren’t what they appeared to be. I am thinking of those times when people, such as Abraham, Lot, and Tobit, “entertained angels unawares.” (Heb 13:2) At the time, as far as any of those great men could tell, they were simply entertaining men because in every way their guests appeared and behaved exactly like men but their guests were really angels who by a continuing miracle appeared as men.

Similarly, after the consecration at Mass, in every way the Eucharistic elements appear and behave exactly like bread and wine but they are really Jesus Christ who by a continuing miracle appears as bread and wine.

I understand now guys. Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.