Eucharist

What is the basis for the church in saying that both the Body and Blood of Jesus are present in either specie of bread or wine?

When the blood of the living Christ is present can we say that the entire Christ is present if his body is not present? If the living Christ is present under the species of the wine, then the body of the living Christ must be present with it as well if the whole living Christ is said to be present.

This is more fully explained by St. Thomas.
newadvent.org/summa/4076.htm

By way of analogy…

Shakespeare, in one of his plays, told of a man who needed to borrow money. He went to all his friends with no success. In desperation he went to his enemy to borrow the money. The money was lent on the condition that if it was not paid in full by a certain date, then the lender was entitled to anything he wanted from him in payment. The money wasn’t paid on time, and the lender asked for a pound of his flesh. The borrower then said, “you may have a pound of my flesh but you may not have a drop of my blood.”

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

I now understand. Thank you!

Your welcome and may the babe Jesus give you warmth.

Jesus told us that we must eat his flesh and drink his blood. (John 6)

Then he gave the apostles his body and blood to eat at the last supper.

We understand that he was instructing us on the Eucharist - the way he would be present with us forever.

In Jesus’ time, the blood represented the spirit, the life of a living creature, so he used that to help them understand that his blood was his spirit while the bread was his body.

By rising from the dead bodily, and being assumed into heaven bodily, he showed us that spirit and body are one and cannot be separated. That notion of inseparability is fundamental to Catholic faith.

That the spirit of God is inseparable from a human body describes the deep link we have with the Father.

Most non-Catholics reject the possibility of such a deep link though sadly. It is truly something profound to contemplate.

There is also 1 Corinthians 11:27, which says, “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.”

The way I explain it to my students preparing for first Holy Communion is to think of a mirror. If the mirror is broken, each piece is still a complete mirror. In the same way, every bit of the Eucharist (broken piece of host, drop of precious Blood) is still completely Jesus; Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.