Eucharist

He took bread and said this IS my Body. From that we can rightly and reasonably say in His hand was the Body of Christ. Similarly, to took the chalice and said this IS my Blood, drink. And he drank. From which we can rightly conclude what was in the cup was His Blood. Wouldn’t we be a little silly if suggested that He scooted the bread from Apostle to Apostle with His nose.

O taste and see that the Lord is good:

Now will He speak openly of** the same Sacrament, whereby He was carried in His Own Hands**. O taste and see that the Lord is good (Psalm 33:8). Does not the Psalm now open itself, and show you that seeming insanity and constant madness, the same insanity and sober inebriety of that David, who in a figure showed I know not what, when in the person of king Achis they said to him, How is it? When the Lord said, Except a man eat My Flesh and drink My Blood, he shall have no life in him? John 6:53 And they in whom reigned Achis, that is, error and ignorance, said; what said they? How can this man give us his flesh to eat? John 6:52 If you are ignorant, Taste and see that the Lord is good: but if you understand not, you are king Achis: David shall change His Countenance and shall depart from you, and shall quit you, and shall depart. [St. Augustine, Psalm, 33]

Just so you wouldn’t be troubled some 2,000 years later, He drank of His Own Blood

And He Himself drank of it. For lest on hearing this, they should say, What then? Do we drink blood, and eat flesh? And then be perplexed (for when He began to discourse concerning these things, even at the very sayings many were offended), therefore lest they should be troubled then likewise, He first did this Himself, leading them to the calm participation of the mysteries. Therefore He Himself drank His own blood. What then must we observe that other ancient rite also? Some one may say. By no means. For on this account He said, Do this, that He might withdraw them from the other. For if this works remission of sins, as it surely does work it, the other is now superfluous. [St. Chrysostom, On Matthew, Homily 82 (Matthew 26:26-28]

JoeT

What does AIUI mean?

As I understand it.

Hmm… but, ‘sacramental’ is only a description of the mode in which His body is present; it’s not a description of the body itself. (In contrast, ‘glorified’ would be a description of the body itself.)

So, if we want to describe the Eucharist – and not the mode – we need to describe the body. So… what is it?

I’ve read it enough that the Eucharist is Jesus’ glorified body…but what was the Eucharist at The Last Supper? I’m still confused. He hadn’t died or risen yet so He wasn’t glorified.
How could He be holding His own body?

Hoo-boy, time to ask the Padre again.

Then, again, the ‘body’ is mysterious enough just wrapped around our minds; should we really expect to understand it in the Transubstantiation of our LORD???

ICXC NIKA

Who’s the priest and how can we get him to answer?

He’s someone I know locally, and he’s so knowledgeable I don’t know how it all fits in his head.

He’s not on CAF.

I’ll ask him about the bodies and post what I get from him.

ICXC NIKA

Was it possible for Peter, James, and John to behold his glorified body on Mount Tabor, even though he had not risen yet? How?

:hmmm:

tee

Hmm… are you certain that it was His glorified body there? After all, in His post-Resurrection appearances, Jesus did not shine more brightly than any bleach could manage, and that’s the description of the Transfiguration. :wink:

Good point.:slight_smile:

Another good point.

According to two site I saw, non Catholic, yes, He was glorified at the Transfiguration

web.ccbce.com/mulitmedia/BLB/faq/nbi/786.html

Ok the stupid linking working.

But consider HIS appearance in Rv 1?

ICXC NIKA.

You mean the appearance in which a two-edged sword protrudes from His mouth?

(And you’re not considering this a figurative description?)

O LORD, my heart is not lifted up,
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a child quieted at its mother’s breast;
like a child that is quieted is my soul.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this time forth and for evermore.

(Psalm 131)

-Tim-

When someone tells you these things, challenge them on it. Get your Bible and read what it really says, not what the other person says it says.
The account does not say that He consumed it, it says He gave it to His Apostles.

Mat 26:26 Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.

Mk 14:22 Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.

Lk 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you:

Whenever someone challenges you, don’t take their word for it, go look up the Scriptures yourself and see. Then, if they are wrong, challenge them, ask why they are twisting the Scriptures to suite their own false, man made doctrines!

Well, we’ve certainly come around full circle!! :wink:

Yet, while this addresses one of Faith’s questions (“did Jesus eat His own body & blood?”), it doesn’t address the other (“did Jesus hold up His own body and blood – and how?”). :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.