"Eucharist"

When I was a fundamental Baptist I was told that the Catholic Church, and to a lesser extent Orthodox and Lutherans, “worship” the Eucharist and not Jesus.
Is the Eucharist mentioned in the Bible?
Thanks.

We don’t worship the Eucharist , but we believe Christ is physically present in the elements in with and under the elements .

This not correct. We don’t worship the Eucharist and not Jesus. We worship the Eucharist because it is Jesus. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1378 Worship of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of the Mass we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. "The Catholic Church has always offered and still offers to the sacrament of the Eucharist the cult of adoration, not only during Mass, but also outside of it, reserving the consecrated hosts with the utmost care, exposing them to the solemn veneration of the faithful, and carrying them in procession."208

“Cult” in this context simply means devotion.

For more information go here in the CCC: scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm#1373.

Is the Eucharist mentioned in the Bible?
Thanks.

Definitely. 1Cor.11[24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

The word thanks is Eucharist. In offering up his own body as our food he was giving thanks to God on our behalf. This is his sacrifice for our sins.

I highly recommend you read “The Supper of the Lamb” by Scott Hahn. This will answer your question: is the Eucharist found in the Bible, with the answer that the central subject of the Bible is the Eucharist.

For once, you’re partially right and partially wrong.

You’re right: We DO worship the Eucharist. As God. Yes, that’s right. We give divine worship to what appears to human eyes to be a piece of bread.
But you’re wrong because we DO worship Jesus. As God.
Because we believe the Eucharist IS Jesus.

The Eucharist is mentioned all over the new Testament, from the Last Supper narratives in the synoptic Gospels, to 1st Corinthians 11, to John 6.

It is tough for me to kneel anymore, but when the words of institution are spoken, I bow because there on the altar is the body and blood of the Christ, the on of the living God, my Savior.

When I, knowing I am not worthy, dare to go forward to receive His body and blood, I kneel in the presence of Christ. This is, indeed adoration. So yes, in that way, I worship Him, and no less so than any Catholic.

As for the Eucharist being mentioned, it is mentioned in Matthew 26:26-29, Mark 14:22-24, and 1 Cor.23-26 -

**.For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is fore you. Do this in remembrance of me.”f 25In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Jon

Yep.

In addition to the references in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and 1 Corinthians 11 already mentioned by earlier posters, mention of the Eucharist can also be found in 1 Corinthians 10:16-21, as “the bread we break,” “the cup of blessing we bless,” “the table of the Lord,” and “the cup of the Lord.” The Eucharist is also probably meant by the breaking of bread mentioned in Luke 24:35; Acts 2:42,46; 20:7. The Eucharist may also be meant by “the festival” in 1 Corinthians 5:8 and included in “your love feasts” in Jude 1:12. It may even be meant by “you have tasted the heavenly gift” in Hebrews 6:4.

Wiki linky:
The Catholic Church teaches that once consecrated in the Eucharist, the elements cease to be bread and wine and actually become the body and blood of Christ,[37] each of which is accompanied by the other and by Christ’s soul and divinity.[38] The empirical appearance and physical properties are not changed, but for Catholics, the reality is. The consecration of the bread (known as the host) and wine represents the separation of Jesus’ body from his blood at Calvary. However, since he has risen, the Church teaches that his body and blood can no longer be truly separated. Where one is, the other must be.

:slight_smile:

Almost forgot, the Eucharist is also probably meant in John 6:51-59 where Jesus speaks of people eating him, eating his flesh and drinking his blood.

The Eucharist may also be meant by “our daily bread” in the Lord’s Prayer, Matthew 6:11; Luke 11:3.

Actually, Catholics believe that Jesus is sacramentally present in the Eucharist. You’re somewhat correct, of course. Some Lutherans believe in ‘consubstantiation’ – that the substance (not the physical elements, but the substance!) of the bread and wine remain, along with the substance of Christ.

No one doubts that the physical characteristics (the ‘form’ or ‘accidents’) of bread and wine remain; Catholics believe that the ‘substance’ of bread and wine are replaced by the substance of Christ, ‘Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity’.

Including assorted and selected Anglicans, as to that last.

Thank you for pointing that out! I had never thought about “our daily bread” in terms of the Lord’s Supper. I guess I was thinking of giving us what we need for our lives which also could be said of that phrase as well as the Word of God in Scriptures that have been given to us as well!

Cool! I have to share this with my family and friends…

God’s peace,

Rita

Definitely, which is why some of his disciples left him as cited in Jn. 6:66 and Peter makes his great statement of faith that what Jesus had just described about eating his flesh and drinking his blood are “the words of eternal life”:

[66] After this many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him.
[67] Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?”
[68] Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life;
[69] and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”

IIRC, that’s also in St. Francis’ meditation on the Lord’s Prayer.

The Eucharist is the Last Supper in the Bible.

I second this. :thumbsup:

That is exactly what is meant in the Lord’s Prayer. ‘Daily’ is a translation of a Greek word that cannot be rendered in one word in Latin or in English.

adoremus.org/0707SupersubstantialBread.html

The Greek word here is epiousion, which is a hapax — a word that is only used here and nowhere else in the Greek language — and so presumed to be the Greek equivalent of whatever word Our Lord may have used in Aramaic or Hebrew. Most translate the word as “daily”, and this goes back to the Latin of Saint Jerome, who renders “arton epiousion” as “panis quotidianum”, daily bread, in the Gospel of Luke. However, in the Gospel of Saint Matthew, Jerome translates the same words as “panis supersubstantialem”. In other words, Jerome, who realized that this Greek hapax could not be expressed in Latin with both meanings at once, chose to give it one meaning in Matthew — “daily”; and another in Luke — “supersubstantial”, so as to preserve both senses of the word for Latin speaking Christians, albeit in two distinct biblical locations.

We have mostly lost this second original meaning — supersubstantial — and so are usually unaware of this lost Eucharistic connotation in our recitation of the Our Father.

Read John 6, then the accounts of the Last Supper in the Gospels.

Lastly, there are Eucharistic Miracles, one of the more dramatic is the Miracle of Lanciano, where the priest, at the time of consecration doubted that it really was the Lord and the host turned into a piece of flesh and wine turned into blood.

Lanciano, Italy 8th Century A.D.

In 1970-'71 and taken up again partly in 1981 there took place a scientific investigation by the most illustrious scientist Prof. Odoardo Linoli, eminent Professor in Anatomy and Pathological Histology and in Chemistry and Clinical Microscopy. He was assisted by Prof. Ruggero Bertelli of the University of Siena.

The analyses were conducted with absolute and unquestionable scientific precision and they were documented with a series of microscopic photographs.
These analyses sustained the following conclusions:

The Flesh is real Flesh. The Blood is real Blood.
The Flesh and the Blood belong to the human species.
The Flesh consists of the muscular tissue of the heart.
In the Flesh we see present in section: the myocardium, the endocardium, the vagus nerve and also the left ventricle of the heart for the large thickness of the myocardium.
The Flesh is a "HEART" complete in its essential structure.
The Flesh and the Blood have the same blood-type: AB (Blood-type identical to that which Prof. Baima Bollone uncovered in the Holy Shroud of Turin).
In the Blood there were found proteins in the same normal proportions (percentage-wise) as are found in the sero-proteic make-up of the fresh normal blood.
In the Blood there were also found these minerals: chlorides, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium.
The preservation of the Flesh and of the Blood, which were left in their natural state for twelve centuries and exposed to the action of atmospheric and biological agents, remains an extraordinary phenomenon.

Eucharistic Miracles

Catholics aren’t the best singers at church. Usually the choir.

Our worship is more of adoration of the Lord at Mass and the Eucharist is Christ’s physical presence before us.

Christ is nourishing us with His Word Made Flesh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.