Eucharistic Adoration for Reluctant Teens?

Would just like some general opinions. I have two kids, 15 and 13. Our church has 24-hour Eucharistic Adoration. I try to go for at least a few minutes every day. Recently, I’ve started “sneaking” the kids into it with me. That is, if I’m picking them up from school or a sports practice I’ll say, “Hey, I need to drop by the chapel…” I get the usual, “Do I have to go in with you?” to which I’ll say, “Oh, come on. It’s for a few minutes. It won’t kill you.” So, here’s my question: Is this disrespectful? The kids are always reverent (they kneel quietly but I’m unsure if they pray). I wonder, however, that since their hearts aren’t in it, if it’s the right thing to do. Also is my covert way about getting them in Adoration more or less coercing them into it? My own thought is that any face-to-face time with Jesus must be beneficial and would bring them graces. But, I also don’t want to disrespect the Eucharist. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

It doesn't sound like you are lying to them, and if they are remaining reverent, there's always a chance some good can come out of it.

They probably don’t like tagging along with you to the grocery store or to the bank, either, but you don’t think twice about bringing them, and they learn how to shop and how to deal with bankers when they watch you, so coming with you to Adoration shouldn’t be a big deal, either. I wish more parents would take their kids to Adoration - we’d have a better world, I think. :slight_smile:

I agree with jm

I'd also mention, however, to be sensitive to their needs. If they had a bad day at school and need to talk, don't interrupt them to go to the chapel. If they have a ton of homework and are feeling overwhelmed extending that time even by five minutes can be hard on them.

Also, I'd not want to go to Adoration after sports unless I had a good shower first. Don't put them in a situation where they feel embarrassed.

Otherwise, yes, bring them.

Our former associate pastor says that just going to Adoration is wonderful: like getting a tan by sitting in the sun. So, just taking them in is enough even if they don't pray.

There's a couple of videos and books and a website dedicated to Eucharistic Miracles.

You might sweeten the pot a little by occasionally saying, "you know, I love the way you guys come in with me to Adoration when you are just ready to get home. Let's get some ice cream on the way home." I wouldn't do it every time, just occasionally.

I try to take my kids for ice cream occasionally after confession.

None of my kids are particulary devout. :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.