Eucharistic Adoration questions...?

I have a few questions asked by a friend to me in regards to Eucharistic adoration. I would like a little help answering them, so here they are:

1. Where is it in the bible?

2. What is the text that is said at the exposition?

3. Do any other denominations have Perpetual Adoration other than Catholics?

4. Is reception of the sacrament of penance required to adore the Blessed Sacrament?

Thanks.

:signofcross:

1. No where explicitly, however, the Presence of Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament (John 6), the giving of adoration to the Presence of God (Moses, the Ark of the Covenant, the Holy of Holies), and to Jesus Christ (Mary the sister of Martha; Peter, James, and John at the Transfiguration) are in Scripture. Not to mention Jesus’ question to the Apostles in Gethsemane, “Could you not watch one hour?”

2. The prayers said during exposition may vary, but at the benediction (usually immediately preceding reposition) a few prayers are said, including the Divine Praises.

3. I do not believe that the Eastern Churches have Perpetual Adoration (and if they do it is a Latinization). The Anglicans may attempt it, but no denomination has the same belief in the Real Presence as the Church, so they find it various degrees of abhorrent (as they should if they disagree with Catholic belief).

4. No.

The earliest reference to Eucharistic Adoration can be found in the mass of St. Basil. He divided the Eucharist into three parts: one for the monks , one for himself, and one he suspended over the altar. This we receive from tradition, not the bible.

It’s customary to recite the “Glory be to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.” three times. This is done when the Monstrance is placed on the altar .

Only the Catholic Church has the real Eucharist.

At Adoration we have the opportunity to talk, one on one , to God. While the sacrament of penance is not a requirement for Adoration, this is the perfect time for reflection and contrition.

I heard one priest describe Eucharistic Adoration as an extension of the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament at the consecration when the priests holds it up for all to see. The priest can’t stand there for hours and hours holding the Blessed Sacrament for us, so it is put into a monstrance where we can adore our Lord and spend time with him.

It is kind of sort of in the Bible. Ps 62 says: “So I gaze on You in the sanctuary, To see Your strength and Your glory” I always think of adoration when I read that, which is part of the Liturgy of the Hours on every Sunday and solemnity.

No other religions would have adoration as the Catholic church does because no other religion belives in the Real Presence. As mentioned, the Anglicans have a kind of adoration, but they say that if you believe in the Real Presence, it’s real, and if you don’t, its not real. Would drive me a bit nuts.

Adoration is very real and very powerful. Mother Teresa said that if every Catholic in the US would spend one hour per week in adoration, abortion would end. I think every Church should be required to have weekly adoration.

No nor is being Catholic a requirement. Sometimes folks in RCIA go to Adoration. It might be of interest to others who believe in the real presence such as Lutherans too.

I went to adoration at least twice a week for nearly 2 years before I became Catholic. It was by far the best thing I could ever do as a non-Catholic, or ever hope to do as a Catholic.

I would never recommend going so far as to make adoration a requirement, but I do wonder why people don’t attend, especially perpetual adoration.

Jesus. Free. 24/7. Why aren’t people lined up at the door trying to get in?

Well, the first question that comes to MY mind when somebody asks, “Where is Eucharistic adoration in the Bible?” is: why would you NEED it to be in the Bible? If a non-Catholic accepts that Catholics believe in the Real Presence, wouldn’t it be pharisaical to take the position that adoration is not acceptable unless it’s in the Bible? Why would visiting Jesus NOT be prima facie good and acceptable?

I attend a Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration once or twice a week. It gives me an opportunity to engage in contemplative prayer in a way I can’t experience otherwise.

To learn more about Eucharistic Adoration, visit:therealpresence.org/

It is a fantastic resource.

The Orthodox have the real Eucharist. But I don’t think they have Eucharistic Adoration as the Latin Catholics do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.