Eucharistic Adoration

I have been doing Eucharistic Adoration for a couple of years now and I do not feel the presence of Christ. I often feel empty.

I have read several threads and I know this is not unusal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks-

When we are living good, holy lives, Christ doesn’t speak to us as often as when we might have been living a less holy and devout life.

In other words, when your driving down the right road, in the right direction, there aren’t signs along the way that tell us “right way”, but drive down the wrong road the wrong way and there are many signs telling us to “stop” or “wrong way”, or “turn back”. I think it is similar with God speaking to us. When I was less than devout life and had just had my reversion to the faith, God was speaking to me all the time! I was full of Christ and joy and couldn’t wait to tell everyone. He spoke to me often. But since I am now living a proper life, filled with God and the Holy Spirit, He talks less to me. But that’s OK, I still know He is there and He is with me and I won’t forget the way He spoke to me when I needed Him most.

Please continue in Adoration of Him! He is there. He is watching over you and if He needs to speak to you, He will!

We don't go by feeling; we go by what our faith teaches us.

As St. Paul said, "We walk by faith, not by sight."

Definitely go to confession. And make a really really good one, and vow to change. Because adoration isn’t a feel-good session for you, it’s all about spending time with God, and He doesn’t always give you that feeling, especially when you’re not following Him.

I didn’t hear God’s voice any more a few years back, and it was truly a low point in my life. Then after being stuck in all that sin, I had an answer to my prayers once again: GO TO CONFESSION! And I was shocked of course, since I was having serious doubts simply because my prayers weren’t being answered any more. So after that confession, my life has been great, and God’s been there to give me that warm feeling practically every time I go near Him at mass or adoration, or even when I drive by a church and cross myself.:slight_smile:

So I guess the same message applies to you: GO TO CONFESSION! :thumbsup:

Thank God for having this opportunity to show the strength of your faith and keep adoring the Eucharist regardless.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely go to Confession. I think I maybe a little selfish in asking for something in the first place.

[quote="nearflip, post:1, topic:182533"]
I have been doing Eucharistic Adoration for a couple of years now and I do not feel the presence of Christ. I often feel empty.

I have read several threads and I know this is not unusal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks-

[/quote]

You know, sometimes I feel the same exact way about my experiences with Eucharistic Adoration. I believe that we also perceive Eucharistic Adoration differently. I perceive it as a way for me to get some prayers out better than I normally would because usually I go to confession before Adoration. That's how I perceive it, getting my sins cleansed helps me to pray better.

I went to Adoration for the first time this past Wednesday night, and I noticed I did something differently than everybody else.

I genuflected before I sat down in the pew as I normally do, but I noticed that everybody else that came in was genuflecting on both knees instead of just the right leg.

Is one supposed to bow on both knees while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed?

thanks.

yes :slight_smile:

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:3, topic:182533"]
We don't go by feeling; we go by what our faith teaches us.

As St. Paul said, "We walk by faith, not by sight."

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The spiritual life should not be measured by whether we "feel" the presence of God.

[quote="Monica4316, post:9, topic:182533"]
yes :)

[/quote]

It was definitely not intentional, but no one has ever told me to do that. I guess I never asked either :)

I have read several threads and I know this is not unusual. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks-

[/quote]

It's hard to comment on how God is acting in your life since we don't know you. Since you've been doing adoration for a couple years, did you always feel this way or is it recent?

If you don't have unconfessed sin in your life, maybe He is giving you a chance to please Him by your perseverance in being there in spite of dryness.

Then again, maybe trying to pray in a different way would help. The rosary, chaplet of divine mercy, litanies, the divine praises, saying one of the hours and the office of readings from the liturgy of the hours, reflecting on a scripture passage, writing your prayer in the form of a letter to Him, slowly repeating the name of Jesus, writing a spiritual biography of God's actions in your life or a list of everything you're thankful for, meditating on the stations of the cross, are all forms of prayer that could help you connect with Jesus. Ask the Blessed Mother, a favorite saint, or your guardian angel to join with you in your time of adoration. Maybe they could help you pray?

Is there something He's trying to tell you by this lack of feeling His presence? You could ask. Tell Him what you do feel. Is it distress, resentment, confusion, anger, impatience, rejection, sadness, doubt, anxiety? Whatever it is, you can tell Him and offer it to Him to use for your good and His glory.

You said: I think I maybe a little selfish in asking for something in the first place. I don't think it's displeasing to God to ask to feel His presence. Don't you think He wants you to desire Him? If He withholds the feelings, it's just to purify you, not to punish you. He wants you to desire Him for Himself, not only for the good feelings. Make frequent acts of faith and love and ask that His will be done in the time you spend with Him.

[/quote]

subjective feelings are a very poor guide to progress or condition of your spiritual life.
seek out a good spiritual director
the emptiness, in someone who has been through initial conversion, amended his life, turned away from sin and is now attempting closer union with God, can be a sign that God is continuing his work in the soul by emptying it of attachments, passions and other barriers to union, in preparation for a new level on the path to that union.

Fr. Groeschel's Journey to God and the Spiritual Journey are two good, short books about this topic which are invaluable in helping to understand what is going on interiorly in these times.

Ask him it is time he revealed him self to you. The deeper you understand the man the more you will feel his presence. Understand psychology of Christ and you will rise deeply in his heart.

Definitely, unless the person has some knee problems.

Talking about not feeling anything the OP asked, the question needs to be answered is - do we know the Blessed Sacrament on the Monstrance** IS** the Lord himself?

If we know this for sure, then we know we are in His presence and He is with us. What we need to do is to adore Him, to love Him, to spend time with Him - just like spending time with our loved ones.

I prefer to say the rosary or any prayer at adoration as opposed to sitting in my kitchen.
Eucharistic Adoration is akin to a face to face meeting while sitting in my house praying is like talking on the telephone. That’s only the way I feel, nothing more.
Unfortunately, I was at Adoration this past Sunday and behind a mother and a daughter did nothing but talk (in whispers). At one point the daughter had her cell phone out. I was so upset, I got up from where I was seated and moved across the church to another location. It was very upsetting.

Thanks for the replies. All your comments are enlightening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.