Eucharistic Adoration

I would like to understand the rationale of Eucharistic Adoration. I am Anglican, and I believe in the real presence of Jesus in the eucharist. I just don’t understand the practice of then going on to venerate the host. It seems to carry the belief in real presence to an extreme. Since the body of Christ is present in the host, should we then go on to venerate the host?

Could someone help me to get over perhaps an irrational reticence to accept this practice?

My question is sincere, and not meant to challenge the practice.

As a primer, you might want to have a look here.

I’m not entirely sure what part of your post means.

Well, the Catholic answer is “yes” qualified by an error (from the Catholic perspective) in the question. We wouldn’t say that the body of Christ is “present” in the host, unless you mean something like “the body of Christ is present in the room because the host is present in the room.” In the Catholic belief there is nothing to the host that is not the body of Christ. It doesn’t have the appearance of it, but that doesn’t relate to what it really is. It really is completely and only the Body of Christ, and as such it does make sense to venerate it.

The thing that confused me is it seemed like your question had the answer in it already. So maybe I misunderstood?

–Jen

You might, but it doesn’t contain the information the OP was looking for, and to me it seems a particularly poorly written article for a supposedly Catholic Encyclopedia.

–Jen

Well, now, that’s a matter of opinion, isn’t it?

The Eucharistic Host is Jesus Christ, Really Present …
body, blood, soul, and divinity …
Jesus is God,
God is worthy of adoration.

“Eucharistic Adoration is an extension of the Holy Mass.” Pope Benedict xvi
We have a opportunity to visit one on one with God. We can talk to Him, pray to Him, or just keep Him company. He has allowed Himself to be immolated for us in a Monstrance.
This can be a private and rewarding experience for all that comprehend His true PRESENCE, and yes we should ( in your words carry the belief in real presence to an extreme.) Adore the risen Lord. Mother Theresa wrote that one hour daily of Adoration in all the Churches would end abortion. Hope that helped you understand a little more of the real Presence.

“** venerate the host.**” Here, I believe, is the misunderstanding. Once the host has been consecrated, it becomes the real Presence - body, blood, soul, and divinity - of Jesus Christ, permanently. So that, after Communion, Christ is still really present in the Blessed Sacrament. The veneration - Adoration - is of Christ, not of a ‘host.’ Christ is always worthy of our praise - when he is in the Tabernacle, or exposed in Adoration. There really is nothing extreme about it. It is proper reverence for Christ ever-present.

If Christ was present in a room with you, I imagine you would most probably fall to your knees in adoration at such a wondrous presence; you would never want to leave Him or for Him to leave you. We have Christ with us always in the Most Blessed Sacrament, whether in the tabernacle or exposed in the monstrance as Linda said - that is why we spend time in adoration: Dominus est - It is the Lord!

Well, now, that’s a matter of opinion, isn’t it?
[/quote]

The second part, of course. That is why I said “to me it seems.” The first part, about whether it addressed the OP’s question is less so, since he was asking for an explanation of the reason people would engage in Eucharistic adoration, and the article didn’t seem to provide one. Maybe I missed it. Sorry if my original reply was too sharp.

–Jen

Hello,

When Catholics recieve the Eucharist, they believe that they are being united with Christ. If you are in a pure state (which you should be when recieveing the Eucharist)…it’s the closest Union you can have with Him. It’s like a marriage, kind of. The two become one.

One of the most powerful parts of the Mass is the Hosanna in the Highest. There, the participants at Mass, are united with the angels and saints singing praise to God. I picture Adoration as that. We are just going to spend time with Jesus. We sing praise to Him, and pray.

Hope that makes sense.

-Jeanne

There are some very good articles included within this link.

therealpresence.org/chap_fr.htm

I think jeanne71350 put it quite well.

I hope you find value in the articles in the link. They helped me understand the theological basis for the practice. I would certainly encourage all to attend an hour of adoration.

I will be going to my parish tonight for adoration!

It took me a long time to understand this practice also, and I have been Catholic all of my life!:blush:

One of my favorite things to do when I am not working is to go out with a friend and have a cup of coffee and talk about life, love, God…, whatever.
I am always left with such a wonderful feeling after spending time with a good friend. :hug1:
For me, that is what Eucharistic Adoration does- gives me and opportunity to spend time, one on one, with Jesus,
it’s “coffee-talk” for my soul!:hug3:

We adore the Host placed in the monstrance for veneration. The Host is Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul, and divinity. The word ‘host’ is derived from the Latin, hostia, which means ‘sacrificial victim’.

O most venerable one.

I find it interesting you would use the phrase Venerate the host. We adore the host, the real presence of God in our world. We venerate such lowly creatures a the Virgin Mary.

In Christ

Personally, I don’t get a lot out of Eucharistic adoration. I understand it, but it doesn’t particularly appeal to me as a means of worship.

No slight or critique of those that do, but I “see” our Lord more in when I look out the window and see the birds flying around and eating, the trees, all the living things in my backyard.

I love Eucharistic adoration! However it is not the greatest act of worship we are capable of.

The greatest act of worship for us this side of Heaven is to recieve the most Blessed Sacrament into our bodies while we are in a State of Grace. Amen.

It’s like a wedding. The Body of Christ and our bodies become one. Whereas, Adoration is more like a date. You just go spend time with Jesus. Sometimes, He’ll reach out and embrace you. And say “I love You so much.”

-Jeanne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.