Eucharistic Fast: Is It Still Required?

Hi all,

My devout friend just told me that the Eucharistic fast is no longer observed. Is this correct? I’m going. to an early Thanksgiving dinner this Saturday and want to attend the Saturday Vigil to take the Eucharist. Please advise.

Stuart

The fast has not changed in years - still 1 hour.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P39.HTM
"Can. 919 §1. A person who is to receive the Most Holy Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from any food and drink, except for only water and medicine."

Remember, the one hour fast is from the moment you stop eating until you recieve the eucharist, not the beginning of mass.

On a Sunday mass, the fast shouln’t be a problem as we normally recieve commmion app. 45-50 minutes in.

Thanks everybody!

Looks like I’ll be attending Sunday Mass. I don’t eat when I get out of bed in the morning!

Stuart

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.