Eucharistic Fast Issues/Trouble

Hi,

Today I bit my finger, (as in, I picked skin off with my mouth and swallowed it) in the hour before mass, and still received the Blessed Sacrament.

This is a regular habit, but I freely chose to do so in this instant. Should I confess this?? It seems so petty but to me it feels like I broke the fast.

Matt

Matt, your skin isn’t considered food. It isn’t consumed as food and not something, which for the purposes of fasting, is regarded as such.

It sounds like possibly a nervous habit? I hope you overcome it as you probably hurt yourself sometimes…may God grant you deep peace in your heart and life. :slight_smile:

I’ve done it for as long as I recall.

I hate it, my dad does it and his dad too. My mum often says I am descended from her family due to certain traits and physical attirubtes I have, but there are bad things I inherited from my dad’s side:o

And now, come to think of it, I may try to stop it over lent. I was of the belief that because something passed through my lips into my mouth the fast was broken. So I dont need to confess this?

No Matt, you don’t need to confess that.

Good luck with breaking the habit…yes, in observing others around us from early years, we can pick up habits from our parents and others…but we can, as you intend, choose to distract and train ourselves from them. I hope that you succeed. :slight_smile:

Regards, Trishie

God bless you for your continued thoughtful answers round these boards. :signofcross: :signofcross:

I’m still amazed that my habit isn’t considered as eating though. Its gross either way:o

Matt

Two things:

1. I would guess you didn’t do so with the intention of consuming your dead skin as food, but simply swallowed it to “get rid of it”.

2. The present Eucharistic fast is one hour before Communion, not one hour before Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.