Eucharistic Liturgy

The Priest says “pray brethren that our sacrifice may be acceptable to God, the almighty Father”.

Why do we pray that our sacrifice ‘be acceptable’ when our sacrifice is Jesus? We know he is “acceptable” and His sacrifice perfect.

wmz13

The priest does not sacrifice Jesus on the altar. Have you been reading anti-Catholic literature? The priest sacrifices bread and wine.

We are speaking of our presence – our sacrifice and that or our priest (in the Person of Christ) on Calvary as the crucifixion is represented.

Nope. :frowning: We offer gifts of bread and wine. The priest sacrifices HIMSELF in the Person of Christ…

According to my prof last term (who was a priest and a canon lawyer), when we say the “May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands …”, we are enabling the priest to make the sacrifice on our behalf.

We are praying that God would find the bread and wine to be a worthy offering, fit to be changed into the Eucharist. We are also praying that our spiritual sacrifices, which the bread and wine represent, would be accepted along with the Eucharist, to which we unite them.

The priest does not so much sacrifice bread and wine as offer them, because a sacrifice of bread and wine to God is meaningless and utterly unsalvific. The bread and wine are offered to God for Him to change them into the Eucharist, and the Eucharist is then offered as the true sacrifice of the Mass. Of course, we unite our spiritual sacrifices to the Eucharist.

Would you expound on that a bit further? The priest is offered the sacrifice of Christ, but is he sacrificing himself? He is acting in the person of Christ Who sacrifices Himself, but I don’t know if we can say the priest sacrifices himself, at least not to a degree different from how all of us sacrifice ourselves.

That sounds fishy to me. The priest does not need our approval to offer the sacrifice.

No, not approval. I think it makes more sense with the newer translation ("… my sacrifice and yours…"), because if people don’t say anything then they mean “don’t include me”, while saying “May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands…” is like your throwing your name in the pile.

And I need to amend this slightly because I didn’t notice it until this morning in japhy’s post. I was thinking in my own past tense, so just so I don’t confuse anyone the guy I had for a prof is still a priest and a canon lawyer (he didn’t leave or anything).

I read somewhere that the Oratres Frates was the last prayer that the priest would say to the people before the consecration. In it the priest was asking for the people’s prayers that his offering would be acceptable. It was his last opportunity to ask for the people’s prayers that he perform his awesome responsibility well. The people would then respond with a prayer for him. Or at least that how I understand it.

If anyone has ever seen the movie “Armageddon,” when the two professional astronauts are trying to disable the nuclear bomb after it has been remote detonated, Steve Buschemi’s character says over and over “do a good job. Do a good job.” That’s essentially what we are doing in a more prayful manner.

Someone correct me if I understood this correctly.

If anyone remembers (and I think everyone has made an effort to forget because Rome stepped in and fixed the problem), the original new translation was going to slaughter the Oratres Frates on the altar of gender neutrality. The translation rejected by Rome that set off the new translation rules read something like:

Priest: Pray my brothers and sisters that this our sacrifice maybe be acceptable to God.

People: May God accept the sacrifice at your hands for the praise and glory of God’s name, for our good and the good of all God’s church.

So learn, according to the old guard at ICEL. God is not entitled to personal pronouns. He has to put up with us saying “God. God. God” over and over again. And ICEL overruled St. Paul…we aren’t supposed to call him “Abba…father” because that might offend some feminist hag sitting in the front pew. So we can’t lovingly call Him Father.

Then there was an attempt from some bishops to spare us this inane translation by address the response to God.

People: God, accept the sacrifice at your priest’s hands for the praise and glory of your name, for our good and the good of all your church.

Neither translations survived. Rome came to English speaking Catholics’ rescue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.