Eucharistic Lord?

I might have asked this before, but I cannot recall.

How do we understand the Eucharistic Lord’s Body?

THANKS!!!

I think I recall Benedict saying something like this: “Sacramental Body” or “Sacrament Body.”

I will read your suggestions.

THANKS!

I will be praying and studying about this.

However, if any person has ideas–HELP!

All those receiving the Body of Christ become members of the one living Body of Christ, the Church. See his commentary on chapter one of Lumen Gentium in *The Spirit of the Liturgy.

From Lumen Gentium 7 (Vatican II).*Really partaking of the body of the Lord in the breaking of the Eucharistic bread, we are taken up into communion with Him and with one another. “Because the bread is one, we though many, are one body, all of us who partake of the one bread”.(53) In this way all of us are made members of His Body,(54) “but severally members one of another”.(55)
As all the members of the human body, though they are many, form one body, so also are the faithful in Christ.(56)

Vico:

THANKS!

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a3.htm#I

Credo of Ven.Pope Paul VI (soon to be Blessed)

1. We believe that the Mass, celebrated by the priest representing the person of Christ by virtue of the power received through the Sacrament of Orders, and offered by him in the name of Christ and the members of His Mystical Body, is the sacrifice of Calvary rendered sacramentally present on our altars. We believe that as the bread and wine consecrated by the Lord at the Last Supper were changed into His body and His blood which were to be offered for us on the cross, likewise the bread and wine consecrated by the priest are changed into the body and blood of Christ enthroned gloriously in heaven, and we believe that the mysterious presence of the Lord, under what continues to appear to our senses as before, is a true, real and substantial presence.(35)

2. Christ cannot be thus present in this sacrament except by the change into His body of the reality itself of the bread and the change into His blood of the reality itself of the wine, leaving unchanged only the properties of the bread and wine which our senses perceive. This mysterious change is very appropriately called by the Church transubstantiation. Every theological explanation which seeks some understanding of this mystery must, in order to be in accord with Catholic faith, maintain that in the reality itself, independently of our mind, the bread and wine have ceased to exist after the Consecration, so that it is the adorable body and blood of the Lord Jesus that from then on are really before us under the sacramental species of bread and wine,(36) as the Lord willed it, in order to give Himself to us as food and to associate us with the unity of His Mystical Body.(37)

3. The unique and indivisible existence of the Lord glorious in heaven is not multiplied, but is rendered present by the sacrament in the many places on earth where Mass is celebrated. And this existence remains present, after the sacrifice, in the Blessed Sacrament which is, in the tabernacle, the living heart of each of our churches. And it is our very sweet duty to honor and adore in the blessed Host which our eyes see, the Incarnate Word whom they cannot see, and who, without leaving heaven, is made present before us.

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/motu_proprio/documents/hf_p-vi_motu-proprio_19680630_credo_en.html

Eucharist

An excerpt from the book “The Catholic Church in the Third Millennium”

John’s gospel relates a series of events in which Jesus reveals His identity and prepares his disciples for the Eucharist. In the first chapter of John’s gospel Jesus declares that He was the Word, the Messiah who had been promised. The other Gospel writers support this declaration. While at the wedding feast at Cana Jesus astounds His followers by transforming water into wine. Soon thereafter, He proclaims His Divine authority and cleanses the Temple by driving out the moneychangers. Immediately thereafter, John the Baptist verifies to his followers that Jesus is the promised one who was to come. In His conversation with Nicodemus the Pharisee, Jesus confirms His true identity and foretells His crucifixion. Next, Jesus reveals Himself to the Samaritan woman when He meets her at the well and later when He heals the royal official’s son. There are several other miracles and instances in which Jesus reveals Himself as God. The last instance was at His last supper, just prior to His death, when in instituted the Eucharist.

When Jesus instituted the Eucharist at His last supper, He was not playing a game of “let’s pretend”. Jesus did not say, “Let’s ‘pretend’ that this bread is my body and let’s ‘pretend’ that this wine is my blood.” Nor did Jesus say, “This bread is a symbol of my body and this wine is a symbol of my blood”. Jesus said, “Take and eat…this Bread Is My Body. Take and drink…this Cup of Wine Is My Blood.”**. In the words of Jesus, the Eucharist Is His body and blood.

The Mass is not simply a symbolic re-enactment of the Last Supper. The Eucharistic celebration of the Mass transcends time. The Holy Sacrifice of Mass is a full participation with Jesus at the Last Supper. When we participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, we join with the disciples at the table with Jesus at His Last Supper. The Priest, as an ordained representative of Jesus through the Apostles and their valid successors, consecrates the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. This consecration is an integration of the Divine with the human. The reception of the Eucharist is an integration of the human with the Divine. The God Jesus becomes incarnate in each sacrifice of the Mass. When we receive the Blessed Sacrament the God Jesus becomes incarnate with us. This realization caused Saint Paul to exclaim, “I live now, not me, but God lives in me”***.

Jesus intended that all people would believe in Him and that all would be joined with Him both in the body and in the spirit. This was the intent for His Eucharist and the fulfillment of His prayer at the last supper when He said, “So that they may all be one, as you, Father are in me and I in you, that they also may be one in us.” ****

The Last Supper is an act in eternity that is present and continuous throughout all time. When we receive the body and blood of Jesus in the Eucharist, our body assimilates the body and blood of Christ. God becomes physically one with the essence of our humanity. In turn, we integrate spiritually and become as one in the essence of God’s divinity. The reception of the Eucharist creates a bond and a holy communion between God and man. We become an “alter Christus’, another Christ. The Eucharist has always been and continues to be the cornerstone, the essence and the focal point of Catholic Christianity. This holy union of the Divine with the human is the desire of Jesus for all humanity.

Thanks for all of the help!

I am still trying to get a little hold on this!

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.