Eucharistic Minister Question

Hi,
I've volunteered to be a Eucharistic Minister at my college's church. I was wondering what I do if finish giving out communion before the priest finishes and where I put the Eucharist after everyone is finished? Thank you!

First, the Church refers to you as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. This is explained in the instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum in order to differentiate you from priests, who are the only Ministers of the Eucharist, and deacons, who are Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion.

Second, you should be receiving training from your priest on how to carry out your duties. We can't know the procedures of your specific parish. Only your training can tell you the details. I can tell you in my parish, that all EMHCs place their ciboria back on the corporal on the altar when they are finished, so that the priest can consolidate the hosts and purify the vessels himself if necessary, because those actions are typically reserved to the priest celebrant, deacon, or instituted acolyte.

[quote="Nucci, post:1, topic:299452"]
Hi,
I've volunteered to be a Eucharistic Minister at my college's church. I was wondering what I do if finish giving out communion before the priest finishes and where I put the Eucharist after everyone is finished? Thank you!

[/quote]

**When I am Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion and the faithful are still waiting to receive the Eucharist from the priest I will stand reverently (sheltering the Eucharist with my free hand) until Father is done. I do not enter the Santurary until Father has first.

Also I believe in the revised Roman Missal the only person to place the Chalice (or Communion bowl) directly on the Altar is a preist or deacon. Do not have a copy handy to quote this.**

[quote="jmjconder, post:3, topic:299452"]
Also I believe in the revised Roman Missal the only person to place the Chalice (or Communion bowl) directly on the Altar is a preist or deacon. Do not have a copy handy to quote this.

[/quote]

On the altar? Nope. I place the Chalice on the altar when serving Mass. There is no such restriction about who places things on the altar. Perhaps you are thinking of the tabernacle.

[quote="Elizium23, post:4, topic:299452"]
On the altar? Nope. I place the Chalice on the altar when serving Mass. There is no such restriction about who places things on the altar. Perhaps you are thinking of the tabernacle.

[/quote]

When the I was trained I was told that only the priest or deacon is to place vessels on the altar. The priest quoted a recent document. I will look for it.

[quote="Nucci, post:1, topic:299452"]
Hi,

[/quote]

Usually EMHCs are asked by the pastor (chaplain in your case) rather than simply volunteer. You should receive training directly from the priest. In many places you also receive training from the diocese.

You should be handed a ciboria by the priest after he gives you communion and stand to distribute wherever he indicates. When you are done with your 'section' you wait respectfully until the priest is done. After giving back the ciboria, there should be a place where you purify your fingers. You then kneel until the priest reposes the remaining consectrated hosts (put them in the tabernacle

Ask your chaplain for instruction and follow what he tells you.

Actually, our parish does things a bit differently to this, Mrs. Sally, and as the Archbishop is the celebrant quite often, I'm assuming variations are acceptable, given the different lay-out of buildings, etc. For instance, it would not be possible for EMHCs to kneel in our sanctuary, unless we went down on the bare marble floor - not really an option.
Also, we don't wait at our station for the priest to finish, but return to the sanctuary and purify the vessel we have been using - again, if it's alright with the Archbishop, we are not going to argue with him.

OP, as others have said, you should be given training. Do whatever you are told to do.

We kneel on the steps of the altar/sanctuary until the final ciboria has been reposed (sort of where you would kneel if there was an altar rail :D). I do understand that different priests/parishes have their own instructions. I was just trying to give some general guidelines.

[quote="paperwight66, post:7, topic:299452"]
Actually, our parish does things a bit differently to this, Mrs. Sally, and as the Archbishop is the celebrant quite often, I'm assuming variations are acceptable, given the different lay-out of buildings, etc. For instance, it would not be possible for EMHCs to kneel in our sanctuary, unless we went down on the bare marble floor - not really an option.
Also, we don't wait at our station for the priest to finish, but return to the sanctuary and purify the vessel we have been using - again, if it's alright with the Archbishop, we are not going to argue with him.

OP, as others have said, you should be given training. Do whatever you are told to do.

[/quote]

I don't think you should be purifying Sacred Vessels like this. I know there was an indult granted in the US a few years back, but I'm sure it has now expired.

And to the OP, I would return the ciborium or paten to the Altar. The corporal should still be laid out so leave the vessel upon it. If you have hosts remaining then this will be handy for Fr. as he will need to repose them in the Tabernacle. Then be sure to purify your hands in the ablution cup which should be next to the Tabernacle.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.