eucharistic ministers

what is a Eucharistic minister and its purpose? is it permissible by the Church for Eucharistic ministers to give out the Sacred Host along side the priest during mass daily? it is also permissible for Eucharistic ministers, deacons, and ALTER SERVERS to place the Consecrated Host, the Blessed Host, our Lord, Jesus Christ into the tabernacle? if it is or is not permissible by the Church, please let me know where i can find the written doctrine on this…it really bothers me that any layman with a church given title, such as an ALTER SERVER is allowed to touch the SACRED HOST…litany

Well a Eucharistic Minister is one who can confect the Sacrament of the Eucharist. They are the ones who can say Mass, namely a priest or a bishop.

Eucharistic Ministerers, along with deacons are Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, so they can and are supposed to distribute Holy Communion.

They are sometimes assisted by ExtraOrdinary Ministers of Holy Communion, which are lay people. By definition, there is no such thing as an Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister. No one can confect the Eucharist licitly in an Extraordinary fashion.

Either the Priest or the Deacon is the one who should reserve Hosts in the Tabernacle.

[quote=litany]what is a Eucharistic minister and its purpose? is it permissible by the Church for Eucharistic ministers to give out the Sacred Host along side the priest during mass daily? it is also permissible for Eucharistic ministers, deacons, and ALTER SERVERS to place the Consecrated Host, the Blessed Host, our Lord, Jesus Christ into the tabernacle? if it is or is not permissible by the Church, please let me know where i can find the written doctrine on this…it really bothers me that any layman with a church given title, such as an ALTER SERVER is allowed to touch the SACRED HOST…litany
[/quote]

Actually, the correct term is Extraordinary Ministers if we are talking about the laity who assist the Priest with the distribution of the Holy Eucharist.
Here are some links that may help:
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#_ftnref172

ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur48.htm
God bless

[quote=Brendan]Well a Eucharistic Minister is one who can confect the Sacrament of the Eucharist. They are the ones who can say Mass, namely a priest or a bishop.

Eucharistic Ministerers, along with deacons are Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, so they can and are supposed to distribute Holy Communion.

They are sometimes assisted by ExtraOrdinary Ministers of Holy Communion, which are lay people. By definition, there is no such thing as an Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister. No one can confect the Eucharist licitly in an Extraordinary fashion.

Either the Priest or the Deacon is the one who should reserve Hosts in the Tabernacle.
[/quote]

“No one can confect the Eucharist licitly in an Extraordinary fashion.”

This should say:
No one can confect the Eucharist validly in an Extraordinary fashion.

Illicitly would indicate that Transubstantiation takes place but un-lawfully. Invalidly states that nothing takes place, the action is null and void.

[quote=Tietjen]Actually, the correct term is Extraordinary Ministers if we are talking about the laity who assist the Priest with the distribution of the Holy Eucharist.
Here are some links that may help:
vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html#_ftnref172

ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur48.htm
God bless
[/quote]

The correct term is Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for those who assist the Sacred Ministers with the distribution of Holy Communion.
This ministry is a wonderful privilege and should be a humbling experience.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The correct term is Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for those who assist the Sacred Ministers with the distribution of Holy Communion.
[/quote]

Being light-hearted here, so don’t take offense, but Extraordinary Ministers only requires those who say it to take one breath.:smiley:
God bless

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]“No one can confect the Eucharist licitly in an Extraordinary fashion.”

This should say:
No one can confect the Eucharist validly in an Extraordinary fashion.

Illicitly would indicate that Transubstantiation takes place but un-lawfully. Invalidly states that nothing takes place, the action is null and void.

[/quote]

A laicized priest is no longer an Ordinary Eucharistic Minister, but still retains the ability to confect the Sacrament.

This is a valid Eucharist, but not a licit one.

Eucharistic Ministers are not ordinary ministers of the Eucharist, like a deacon is. When an deacon comes to a parish, he assists the priest at the Masses that he serves at. Unless there is a large crowd, no other ministers are needed. Eucharistic Ministers are Extraordinary Ministers. Some churches have 16 EMs at a Mass, when fewer would be just fine. This is ultimately up to the bishop. Our diocese has a list submitted to the bishop each year and except for emergencies, only those on the list are allow to minister. It is expected that they have had sufficient training. If a deacon is not present, the pastor cleans the vessels and replaces the reserved hosts into the tabernacle.

God bless

[quote=Deacon Tony560]Eucharistic Ministers are not ordinary ministers of the Eucharist, like a deacon is.
[/quote]

Deacon Tony,

A deacon is NOT a Minister of the Eucharist at all. They are Ordinary Minsters of Holy Communion.

That’s a different ministry.

A Minster of the Eucharist, per Canon Law, is one that can confect the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

Only a Priest or Bishop is an Eucharistic Minister.

It’s the Eucharist that people receive from me, so I call it that. Sorry if it offended anyone. The deacon is also the rightful Minister of the Cup.
God bless

[quote=Deacon Tony560]It’s the Eucharist that people receive from me, so I call it that. .
God bless
[/quote]

There certainly wasn’t any offense, just a desire to make sure the correct terms were understood by all.

As you are aware, the Minister of the Sacrament is the one that calls it into being, correct?

The Minister of Baptism is the person pouring the water and speaking the Formula. The Ministers of Matrimony are the couple. The Minister of Anointing of the Sick is the priest.

Likewise, it is the Priest who confects the Sacrament of the Eucharist. And only a priest.

What a Minister of the Holy Communion does is to share the Eucharist with the Community; to commune, not to confect.

You can see how they are two different ministries, correct?

And hence the two different titles used.

And that is why, since the publication of the 1983 Canon Law, the two ministries are titled separately in all Official Church documents.

You’ll see that in the GIRM, the US Norms on the Distribution and Reception of the Eucharist, etc…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.