Eucharistic Miracles

Hello,

How can Protestants continue to deny the Real Presence in the face of so many Eucharistic Miracles?

Take for instance the miracle of Lanciano, in which the host turned into actual flesh and the wine to actual blood - that is the accidents were converted, too. Contemporary scientific tests were conducted and it was found that the flesh is human heart tissue, part of the left ventricle, and that it is still alive. And the blood is type AB, the same blood type as the flesh, and is in several globules of unequal size. Each of the globules weighs exactly the same as all of them together. And the blood has the same protein distribution as fresh blood. On top of this, the flesh and blood have survived for over 1000 years - which biology 101 teaches that nothing organic will survive that long without decaying, unless it is alive. The scientist stopped the testing about a decade ago declaring that they have come to the end of science and that it was impossible for them to explain it. And this is just one of many such miracles.

Because “some” of them claim the miracles are from satan. I kid you not. :frowning:

I have personally witnessed a miracle just prior to receiving communion in my church. I was Catholic for 34 years and through praying, saying the rosary and meditating on the Eucharist experienced nothing.

Should I stay or should I go?

Well, my friend, you have as of yet to provide for me a link to this “Eucharistic miracle,” that I might examine it and get some opinions on the matter …

In ANY case, were somehow transubstantiation to be proven, I would still probably be nearer to a Lutheran or an Eastern Orthodox than a Catholic.

What’s more, I do not believe in transubstantiation because the Scriptures do not attest to it. Only those with an ignorance concerning the history of the rite (the Jewish Passover and its traditions, such as the matzah tosh ceremony and the taking of the cups) could believe that when Yeshus said, “This is my body,” he was literally breaking his own transubstantiated body in his hands … or drinking his blood from the third cup … It is absurdity–yes, either that or outright ignorance.

Here is a link about the Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano:

therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

I frankly find Eucharistic miracles to be amazing and they are one of the reasons that I believe in the real presence and transubstantiation.

Uh . . . John 6, maybe?

Are you saying God couldn’t do that if he wanted to?

Matthew 19:26: And Jesus beholding, said to them: With men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible.

Plus, Catholicism and the true presence (transubstantiation) are the fulfillment of Judaism and the Old Testament prophesies. It is the understanding of (not ignorance of) the old Jewish Passover traditions and their connection to what Christ was doing at the Last Supper that help make His true presence in the Eucharist make sense.

Catholicism and the true presence (transubstantiation) are the fulfillment of Judaism and the Old Testament prophesies. It is the understanding of (not ignorance of) the old Jewish Passover traditions and their connection to what Christ was doing at the Last Supper that help make His true presence in the Eucharist make sense.

I fail to see the resemblance between Catholicism’s Eucharist and that Last Meal in which our Lord partook … I mean no disrespect.

Because you can’t see it with HUMAN REASONING its a SUPERNATURAL thing.:rolleyes:

What about John 6:51-59

No disrespect taken.

I would encourage you to listen to Scott Hahn’s talk “Understanding the Eucharist.” You can get the CD at www.lighthousecatholicmedia.com. Heck, if you e-mail me your address I’ll send it to you for free. :wink:

Dr. Hahn is a former protestant minister (at one point, vehemently anti-Catholic) who is now a leading Catholic apologist.

Anyway, he does a way better job than I could ever do explaining the connection between the Jewish Passover meal and the Last Supper (which was, of course, a Passover meal). As I’m sure you know, the New Testament is a fulfillment of the Old and there are tons of connections between the two. Very briefly, in the Old Testament, the Jews were required to not only sacrifice a lamb, but also eat its flesh. Christ is often times referred to as the “lamb of God” and he requires us to eat His flesh (the Eucharist), just as the Jews were required to eat the flesh of the lamb at the Passover meal. (See the connection?) Of course, Christ’s death on the cross was a once and for all thing, and we Catholics are not “recrucifying” Him at every Mass, as is often misrepresented by anti-Catholics. We are simply re-presenting the sacrifice. To complete what Jesus commanded, we have to eat that re-presented sacrifice:

John 6:54: Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.

He also has a book called “The Lamb’s Supper” which describes the Mass and details its connection to the book of Revelation (I think). I haven’t read it yet, but from the title I would guess he might get into this same thing in that.

Rosalyn Moss is also an excellent one to explain this connection. She is a former Jew who converted to Evangelical Christianity and is now Catholic. I went to one of her talks a couple years ago and she did a fabulous job explaining this connection, as well.

Anyway, if you listen to Dr. Hahn’s talk, you will understand what I’m talking about when I say that it is the understanding of the history of the Passover meal that makes sense of the Last Supper and what Christ was doing there when He instituted the Eucharist.

God Bless.

Although it is a SUPERNATURAL thing, if you read my post above and listen or read the materials I’ve referenced, I think you will see that the connection between the Passover Meal of the Old Testament and the real presence in the Eucharist is reasonable. :thumbsup:

Oh yes I agree %100

I don’t deny the Real Presence of Christ at the Eucharist. But I don’t need a Eucharistic miracle to convince me; the Eucharist is a miracle, a mystery, and a means of grace.

That’s enough for me.

Hello,

And do you need that personal feeling to feel at home?

What miracle did you witness?

Hello,

Eucharistc Miracles

Why?

scripturecatholic.com/the_eucharist.html
catholic.com/library/Real_Presence.asp
catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

:rotfl:

The correlation and fulfillment of the Passover in the Sacrifice of Calvary and the Liturgy is very compelling.

Hello,

If you believe in the Real Presence - in the same way Catholics do - then why would you stay away from the Catholic Church?

I remember Father Corapi telling of a Protestant minister who said “I wish I believed what you Catholics believed. I tell you if I believed what you believe, I’d find the nearest Catholic Church and prostrate myself in front of the Tabernacle - you couldn’t move me with a bulldozer. Because if Jesus is truly present there in that way, where else would I want to be?” That minister later joined the Catholic Church.

I believe in the Real Presence. I don’t believe in a Western reliance on Thomism and Aristoltelian philosophy to try to explain it away. The Eastern Church - which Rome claims has the Real Presence - doesn’t explain it that way either. It’s the Body and Blood of Christ. Period. No explanation needed.

I don’t believe the Catholic Church has a monopoly on the Real Presence. I suspect you’ll disagree, however.

I remember Father Corapi telling of a Protestant minister who said “I wish I believed what you Catholics believed. I tell you if I believed what you believe, I’d find the nearest Catholic Church and prostrate myself in front of the Tabernacle - you couldn’t move me with a bulldozer. Because if Jesus is truly present there in that way, where else would I want to be?” That minister later joined the Catholic Church.

Jesus has been present in every eucharist I’ve ever partaken or served as presider. I lose no opportunity to receive the body or blood of Christ, and take every opportunity to magnify the sacraments.

I have devoted considerable thought and academic work to the Eucharist, and was actively involved in our church’s revised stance of beliefs regarding the Eucharist.

Here I stand; I can do no other.

O+

I believe in transubstantiation - therefore, I do not believe in the miraculous character of the so-called “miracle” at Lanciano, not for one instant.

It contradicts transubstantiation, & it supplies “proof” of transubstantiation by contradicting it - as transubstantiation is apprehended by faith, it cannot be proved; & to attempt to do so is an abomination. There may be genuine Eucharistic miracles worked by God - but whatever contradicts Catholic dogma on the subject is no miracle. So if there are any genuinely God-given Eucharistic miracles, they cannot be like the phenomenon of Lanciano, which is gross & materialistic. If it is evidence of any Eucharistic doctrine, it is evidence of Ultra-Realism: which is heretical, & was condemned as such.

I personally witnessed the miracle of healing while receiving the Eucharist and also watched Jesus’ eyes sweep across the room from the crucifix. I knew at that point that something was taking place. I haven’t felt this good in years. Praise God on high!!!

Jesus walked on water. He fed five thousand men, not counting women and children,with five loaves and two fish. The blind saw, the dumb spoke,the dead were
able to hear , all because of the Lord’s love for all.He said he was the living bread which has come down from heaven. Jesus said ,“This is My body… This is My blood…” Of course,because He is God,the bread and wine is real food for us. Remember He was able to change water into wine! Without doubt, I believe in the real presence of the Lord in the Eucharist.He did not say,“This represents My body…This represents My blood.” Only say the word and my son will be healed,the centurion told Jesus…and he was rewarded for his belief and faith. St Augustine said, “Faith is to believe what we do not see, the reward of which is to see what we believe.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.