Eugenics Cuts Down's Syndrome In Half In Denmark

Research paper: Impact of a new national screening policy for Down syndrome in Denmark: Population based cohort study, BMJ Online

A new national screening strategy in Denmark has halved the number of infants born with Down’s syndrome and increased the number of infants diagnosed before birth by 30%, according to a study published on bmj.com today.

Many countries, including England, Australia and New Zealand, are trying to introduce national screening strategies for Down’s syndrome, but are facing a variety of problems because of a lack of consensus about the screening policy and logistical challenges.

They report that the number of infants born with Down’s syndrome decreased from 55 per year during 2000, to 31 in 2005 and 32 in 2006. The total number of invasive tests fell sharply from 7524 in 2000 to 3510 in 2006.

The detection rate in the screened population was 86% in 2005 and 93% in 2006. With 3.9% (17) of women receiving a false positive result in 2005 and 3.3% (7) in 2006.

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-11/bmj-nsh
112608.php

I do not know if you like this policy… but I like Denmark’s other policies such as their labor market policy. I think that is less controversial.

No, the rate is the same, they just killed half of them off.

Correct. It is still murder. Eugenics is pure evil.

No, the rate is the same, they just killed half of them off.

Quite so. It’s not a mutation that gets passed on. Trisomy 21 is an aneuploidy, to be specific, an extra copy of chromosome 21.

You will never remove Down’s from a human population, although you can greatly reduce it by allowing only young women to bear children.

You might be interested to know that Darwinists like Punnett showed that eugenics would take so long to remove “defective” alleles from a population, as to be practically impossible.

Gee, swell. Not quite as great an accomplishment as when Hitler significantly reduced the percentage of Germans suffering from mental illnesses…

Most babies born with Down Syndrome are born to younger mothers…because younger mothers are more fertile and have more children. An older mother has a higher likelihood to conceive a baby with Down’s syndrome, but older women have fewer children on whole because fertility diminishes with age.

Eugenics is murder.

I don’t own a computer and in order to access the internet I go to the Public Library,where I am right now.Often when I go online,sitting at another terminal nearby is a young woman who obviously has Downs Syndrome.She quietly uses her terminal and seems to favour watching and listening to musical groups.She bothers no one ,is courteous and pleasant to others.And then I come to a thread where someone dispassionately advocates the “halving”(read:murdering)half the cases of said condition and I want to vomit.These childlike people who really are quite defenseless both in the womb and out of it are incapable of maliciousness and indeed sin.We will be judged on how we treat the “least” of us.Whether you are a material atheist or not is irrelevant ,you will be judged.
She’s not here right now,she’s probably at home with her family who I am sure love her.

sorry,somehow I posted this twice,I was trying to edit my original post…:blush:

According to Wikipedia, estimates are that up to 90% of the US mothers who learn they are carrying a Down’s baby abort the child.

On further reflection, Denmark may be doing better than we are.

Downs people always seem to be pretty happy to me. Dunno why some people figure they’d rather be dead, especially when you measure life solely in terms of pleasure.

IMHO we live in a society that wants to eliminate anything that makes us feel vulnerable and weak because it is a reminder that we are not in control. People with Downs and other abnormalities are a visual reminder of our vulnerability. :twocents:

This sickens me. I have a borther and a niece with Down syndrome. They can a do live productiver lives. Futhermore, the prenatal testing delivers both fals positives and fals negatives on a regular basis. So even those short sighted fools who suport the murder of Down syndrome infants are also accepting the murder of healthy children who were false positives.

My DS#2 was a false positive for Downs Syndrome. The experience was frightening and the decision on whether to abort was rushed. I refused an amnio but was told the highly sensitive ultrasound showed many indicators of Downs.

I shudder to think how many women have had this same experience without having a strong pro-life ethic.

My son was born healthy and free of Downs.

Furthermore I would urge anyone who supports abortion of Downs babies go to a Special Olympics meet and talk with the athletes and therir coaches and families. YOur eyes will be opened. Heck send me a private message and I will tell you all about my wonderful niech who refers to me as “Her Carl”

What I am wondering is if you like this policy. Do you?

Ribo has been advocating "population reduction (more like genocide) for quite awhile here. It has come to the point where it is so sickening, I no longer even see his what he writes unless someone quotes him.

Most babies born with Down Syndrome are born to younger mothers…because younger mothers are more fertile and have more children. An older mother has a higher likelihood to conceive a baby with Down’s syndrome, but older women have fewer children on whole because fertility diminishes with age.

Things are changing…

The ages women are bearing children are getting older and older. This is caused in large part by the fact that more women are holding full-time jobs than they ever have before, and the focus of more young women is less on the desire to have children and more on the desire to advance in their careers. In recent years as many as six percent of all babies born in the United States each year are born to women over 40 years old. This ratio is higher than it ever has been before.
allsands.com/lifestyles/pregnancy/pregnancyino_vod_gn.htm

BTW, My wife had our last child at 45. I was relieved to hear that the risk is primarily among those who have their first child late in life; she had our first at 23. And some kinds of birth defects apparently are reduced for children born to older mothers.

But:

Dr. Risch cautioned that the new results notwithstanding, older women must keep in mind that the chances of bearing a baby with Down syndrome rise steeply as they grow older. Women from 35 to 39 years old have four times the risk of women 10 years younger, he said, while for women over 40, the risk is 12 times that of women in their mid-20’s.
query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D0CE3DB143FF931A35750C0A967958260

While I agree that Down’s syndrome does not necessarily keep a person from having a full and happy life, it is still not a good thing.

I do not know… but the person (“RP”) who apprised me of this article is obsessed with eugenics. (More than I am.) He often talks about it almost every week. He has unpleasant views on other topics too although he blogs about interesting topics.

What exactly is “not a good thing”? Is it that YOU don’t think there life is “a good thing” or is it that the world doesn’t think their life is “a good thing”?

Remember God makes no mistakes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.