European Court Refuses to Intevene to Save Italian "Terri Schiavo"

By Hilary WhiteROME, December 23, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The European Court of Human Rights is refusing to hear the case brought by Italian pro-life advocates asking that Eluana Englaro be protected from euthanasia by dehydration. On Thursday, the Strasbourg Court announced that an attempt…

Full article…

I think that the decision in Vo v France (2004 if I remember) over abortion indicated that the Court sees ‘life’ issues as really belonging to the States - sort of reverse of the situation in the US - and will find ways of avoiding being involved.

Of course, this ‘negative’ stance on lawmaking by the Court leads to the situation being unsatisfactory to both ‘sides’ - just as is in the US but for opposite reasons.

Technically, that is the way it is seen in the US, as well from a constitutional standpoint. This is one of the reasons the Schiavo case was so controversial.

EDIT ADD: I should say that the constitutional question is in dispute…didn’t mean to sound authoritative on that one…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.