Europe's human rights court fines Russia for barring Americans from adopting Russian children

Europe’s human rights court fines Russia for barring Americans from adopting Russian children abcn.ws/2jFzCdW

Just to point out before people get confused, the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU.

how can they do that? I believe there were some problems that arose in some adoptions including a family who no longer wanted the boy they adopted and sent him back to Russia alone on a plane. If Russia feels these children are not safe in America with their new families I guess they have a right to decide which countries can adopt.

There was also a case that same year where a couple from Pennsylvania beat their adopted-from-Russia child to death.

yes, it was after some high profile cases that prompted the decision. I believe there was also a single dad who adopted a girl and later sexually abused her. These were serious incidents that led Russia to make their decision.

On the question of who has the say in when and where Russian children can be adopted i would favour the Russian government over a European body.

I think a lot of injustice can be done through the forced legal application of the new ‘ideologically applied discrimination’ mindset. I don’t know the full details in this case but perhaps it is time for Russia and others to consider withdrawing from these international bodies if they no longer reflect the morals of the people?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.