"Euthanasia Proponents May Find Themselves Robbed of Choice at the End of Their Lives, Says Doctor"; an Article in a Catholic Newspaper

“Suicide advocates suffer from a combination of naiveté and boundless confidence, when they get to the situation when they are at the end of life or have a significant disability, if they think all the choices are going to be their choices,” this doctor said, before speaking of regrettable cases of euthanasia.
see bccatholic.ca/component/content/article/1-latest-news/6180-canadian-physicians-for-life-leery-of-death-legislation

I got sent two letters within a month by the multinational that has taken over what used to be my “GP practice” (my GP left :frowning: ).

They required me to sign it regardless of what answer I gave, hence a nil return wasn’t good enough. They evidently get underpaid if they don’t meet their quota of takers for their scheme. If you aren’t a taker they are going to make a point of not asking you for a specific period of years.

The scheme is to have tests (which aren’t detailed in the letter but I looked them up on the internet). Then the company gives you a “score”.

Well, I am not remotely interested in them giving me a “score”.

I defaced the form by writing that I wasn’t taking the package of tests within the next two months but may request a couple of them within the next year or so.

I’m uneasy now that I put my signature to it.

I expect “leading questions” from now on, being in my 60s with my “quality of life” increasing all the time in leaps and bounds but, as an Asperger, I don’t “do the body language” or “talk the talk” and the whole world is now totally NLP-oriented (even the Church incidentally).

I worry about whether I’ll be allowed my regular meds which, while very ordinary and at low dosages, are quite good for me.

Perfect.

The full quote, from the article:

“Suicide advocates suffer from a combination of naivete and boundless confidence, when they get to the situation when they are at end of life or have a significant disability, if they think that all the choices going to be their choices, not their caregivers’ choices,” said Dr. Johnston, who also heads the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition of B.C.

Exactly what I always say.

You don’t know if the choice is going to be that person’s free choice or somebody else’s, maybe the caregiver who’s tired of being a caregiver or the relative hoping to inherit some money.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.