Evacuations begin in Texas ahead of Hurricane Ike

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_re_us/ike_texas

Yike!!! Ike!

Anyone else under the gun? We just started mandatory evacuations tonight. At the least, I may be down without electricity for a while.

Yeah, I’ve got family in the Corpus area, they’re headed inland tomorrow.

despite what the local news would have me believe i think i’ll be safe staying in houston. bright side no school for next two days.

Yep. We are staying put too. School hasn’t been cancelled and i don’t know if they are cancelling the Astros game tommorrow or not. I live in the inner part of houston (80 miles from shore) and not near any bodies of water so no really flooding. After all its only a category 3 so we should be okay in our place.

Though Ike storm track seems to be following Rita track so maybe it will turn for the north and then we will be on the clean side and not get the worst of it.

I would suggest anyone in flood prone areas and those close to the ocean to get out. I am just going to stay off the roads so those who have to leave can.
blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2008/09/hurricane_ike_s_1.html
here is a map of those areas that should
According to local emergency management officials:
If you live in Zip-Zone Coastal, plan to evacuate for ALL hurricanes.
If you live in Zip-Zone A, plan to evacuate for ALL hurricanes.
If you live in Zip-Zone B, plan to evacuate for a category 3, 4 or 5 hurricane.
If you live in Zip-Zone C, plan to evacuate for a category 4 or 5 hurricane.
The map represents a worst-case surge for each category of hurricanes – i.e. not all the homes in Zip-Zone B would flood during a category 3 or 4 hurricane.
If you live outside a surge zone officials do not recommend evacuation unless you live in a mobile home, or until you’ve waited for coastal residents to evacuate.
http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/zipsonexoatalnmao.jpg

I hope Houstonians stay put. The city is just too big to evacuate in one day. More people died during the Rita evacuation than from the hurricane itself. I pretty much am set after I board up to hang at home. If I post next week, I guess that means everything went alright.

well they say i should go, but im good.

I’ll be here, and I’m in yellow. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people staying that got caught in that awful experience that was Rita.

We are in northwest Houston, so we won’t be leaving.

Beckers - I heard that they are considering moving the Friday night Astros game with the Cubs up from 7:05 to 1:35. I would assume that the Saturday game will be postponed.

Peace

Tim

Yea thats what i have heard too. I am going to tonights game and then my school as suppose to go to Friday nights game but since they are moving it, it will be write in the middle of Legal Writing and Research class and then civil Pro. So i have a feeling the professors are not going to let us off.

I remember Rita. People freaked out more than normal because of Katrina and all that happened in NO. the thing to remember is Houston is vastly different than NO and yes we will get some flooding and the parts near the coast will get storm surge BUT we will not have standing flooding like NO.

I am going to stay put and let the freeways be cleared for those who are in true areas of danger.

PS i just found this website. houstonhidefromthewind.org/
It will let you know by zip code what winds and damages you should see. Hopeful this will help those who haven’t been through a storm before.

That is appreciated. I had a family friend offer to take us in around the north loop. I think I still prefer to stay put. Thanks be to God Ike has not strengthend at all as predicted. I am all boarded and ready to roll. I do have one little, but I will also have at least four adults here, maybe more. Our sole danger here is wind.

I came here to post on my favorite threads and to get my mind off this and failed. So far, except for the track, everything is as good a possible. Ike has not strengthened one bit as predicted. I believe they finally are forecasting only a Cat 2. :rolleyes: Still, it gives a lot of hope that the storm is so spread out and will not be as strong as past storms.

I know how you feel. I got back from the Astros game as was expecting to hear that it strengthed into a cat 3 but its staying a cat 2 which is better though the storm surge is going to possible be massive. I hope people in Galveston don’t try to ride this one out. The very nature of the bay on one side and the ocean on the other means that galveston is going to disappear off the map for awhile when the storm rolls in. I am a nature lover and hope that the power stays on so that i can watch the news coverage between college football games :slight_smile: Seriosuly i hope everyone either gets out now or bunkers down.

On the way home i saw the gas station acorss the street was actaully open and managed to be one of the last people in. I am doing some laundry and going to pack the cats up and get out of the apartment and head to my moms home out in Sugarland tommorrow morning. I just don’t want to ride the storm out by myself.

The official national weather service forecast for Galveston is terrifying. We can only hope that everyone in that area takes the evacuation order seriously. We should certainly pause and offer our prayers for them. Official channels do not use terms that might panic people unless things are genuinely bad. (Mind you that the situation in Houston itself will be serious, but not like this…)

From the National Weather Service regarding the Galveston area:
LIFE THREATENING INUNDATION LIKELY!

ALL NEIGHBORHOODS… AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES… WILL BE INUNDATED DURING THE PERIOD OF PEAK STORM TIDE. PERSONS NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH. MANY RESIDENCES OF AVERAGE CONSTRUCTION DIRECTLY ON THE COAST WILL BE DESTROYED. WIDESPREAD AND DEVASTATING PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE IS LIKELY ELSEWHERE. VEHICLES LEFT BEHIND WILL LIKELY BE SWEPT AWAY. NUMEROUS ROADS WILL BE SWAMPED… SOME MAY BE WASHED AWAY BY THE WATER. ENTIRE FLOOD PRONE COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL BE CUTOFF. WATER LEVELS MAY EXCEED 9 FEET FOR MORE THAN A MILE INLAND. COASTAL RESIDENTS IN MULTI-STORY FACILITIES RISK BEING CUTOFF. CONDITIONS WILL BE WORSENED BY BATTERING WAVES. SUCH WAVES WILL EXACERBATE PROPERTY DAMAGE… WITH MASSIVE DESTRUCTION OF HOMES… INCLUDING THOSE OF BLOCK CONSTRUCTION. DAMAGE FROM BEACH EROSION COULD TAKE YEARS TO REPAIR.

Yep i hope everyone gets off the island before the bridges close. All one has to do is look at Issac Storm (hurricane of 1900 still the largest death toll in America) to understand what storn surge can do. I hope the news channels don’t try to send people down there to film it. They themselves could be in danger because the hotel they normal bunker down is the San Luis Hotel which is right on the sea wall and when the surge comes in it will cover the whole island.

They just showed a reporter on Surfside filming a report. She said the she was leaving, though after that report and moving it inland to Lake Jackson. Everyone there is out of the city (fortunately) as it may be razed. I am high enough to be out flood danger and far enough inland to be free of storm surge. Just the wind.

Wow have you been watching the morning news??? the water is already starting to cover the roads and we are still over 16 hours from landfall. They have already had a high water rescue. My parents beach house is right where the storms eye is going to come in. Believe me there is no way we would be riding this storm out. The sad thing is people don’t want to leave because of their experience with Rita but this storm isn’t Rita. It isn’t going to miss us like Rita did. It is going to hit us very hard with lots and lots of water. And right now the roads are wide open. No traffic anywhere so people need to get out!

Link to BBC site with aerial view video of the storm surge flooding even before Ike arrives. If it’s this bad now, in 12 hours it’s going to be catastrophic. My prayers are with all of you. If you are in one of the low-lying areas, please get out. We want you to keep safe.

I switched to plan B. I slid out of town abour 10:00 this morning. No use waiting to the last minute. :smiley: My mother said she had changed her mind and I did not want her traveling alone. Anyway, I had virtually no traffic on my trip to Corpus Christi. On the bright side, I am just a few blocks from the downtown cathedral and will at least get to attend Mass this weekend.

The Ike situation page. vuetoo.com:80/vue1/SituationPageNews.asp?sit=2190

A slide show here:

chron.com/news/photogallery/Hurricane_Ike_approaches.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.