Evaluating times one has sinned

Do catholics typically examine each day how many times they have sinned? I assume there is a list for evaluating sins, I have seen one called an examination of conscience.
Is there even any requirement to do this if you know what venial and mortal sins are?
Can a person get forgiveness for a sin they have not commited yet, but know they will?

Some do, others don’t. But it’s easier to examine your conscience each day, so you don’t forget any sins.
Examination of conscience is required to be prepared to go to Confession. You can’t confess your sins to God through His priest if you don’t know what they are.
A person is forgiven of every sin he has already committed when he is absolved at each Confession. At the end of life, if the person is repentent and accepts God’s Mercy - which is usually through Last Rites, though God is not bound by His sacraments - than he is forgiven of every sin he has every committed. A person is not forgiven of future sins at Confession because he has not committed them yet, and a person is not forgiven of possible sins he could have committed in the future at the hour of death because he has not actually committed them. If a person should go to Confession and be forgiven his sins, and that happens to be his last Confession before he dies, and he commits no further sins between Confession and death, than all his sins forgiven. But like I said, no sins which have not been committed are forgiven; only actual sins are forgiven.

That in and of itself is a sin…the sin of presumption…but yes, I try to take daily inventory each night before bed, during my prayers and I do an examination of conscience then

That in and of itself is a sin…the sin of presumption…but yes, I try to take daily inventory each night before bed, during my prayers and I do an examination of conscience then before retiring for the evening

Thanks for the answers.:slight_smile:

The case of asking for forgiveness of a sin not commited yet but you know you will be commiting was similar to what I saw you can ask for in the case of missing mass and getting a dispensation (spelled that correctly?)

So, if you can obtain this dispensation for missing a Mass, could that also apply to asking for forgiveness of knowing you will sin in a case where you know you can not pay a bill on time in advance?

Well…if you are granted a dispensation from missing Mass for whatever the reason, then it is not a sin…if you were just blowing Mass off then that in and of itself would be a sin and dispensation would not have ever been granted in the first place.

Secondly, if you can not pay a bill because of financial hardship not due to any fault of your own…you could have gotten a cut in pay…the household might haved suffered one of its breadwinners losing their job, or the baby needed a lifesaving operation that insurance won’t cover, etc…is not a sin…if you have the desire to pay your just debts but are literally unable, that is not a sin…but you must pay them when possible…however, if you are unable to pay your just debts because you bought a big screen tv you didn’t need it or bought drugs, or drank it away…then that behavior is sinful…and no, the sin of presumption is still a sin no matter the circumstances and you can not get forgiveness for a sin that has not taken place yet…however the sin of presumption can be can be forgiven in the sacrament of Confession if all the conditions are present in the pentitent.

So, missing mass is the only way to have a sin forgiven in advance of the actual act of missing mass taking place? What if you were given a dispensation because you were really worried you would miss it, but you ended up being able to go?

How is knowing in advance with good reason that you will be missing mass something one can get a dispensation for if you can not be forgiven/granted dispensation for any other sin before you actually do it?

Unless, you can get dispensations for other sins in advance of the act?

A dispensation dispenses of the obligation to attend Mass. A person with a dispensation isn’t “missing” anything. There is no sin to be forgiven.

A sin for missing Mass when there is no requirement to attend Mass is like the dentist charging a fee for skipping an appointment…when you never had an appointment in the first place.

If you “know” that you are going to commit a sin, you should do everything in your power to change that–to make sure that no sin is committed.

Michael Daniels explained in the post before yours that skipping Mass when you are required to go is a sin, but skipping Mass when you are not required to go is not a sin.

The Catholic Church does not grant permissions to sin.

If I received a dispensation to miss Mass one Sunday, and then it turned out I could go after all, I would go.

This is circular reasoning at it’s best.:frowning:

Attending Mass on Sunday is a discipline of the church. The Commandments tells us to keep holy the Lord’s day. The church says attending mass is how we should do this. If we refuse to do so, it is a sin of disobedience.

However, the church (by the permission the pastor gives a person) may release a person from that obligation for a good reason. The person would still have to be mindful that this is a day when special worship is due God. But there would be no sin of disobedience.

The church cannot give a dispensation in order for a person do do something that is in itself morally wrong. It cannot permit me to kill an abortion provider, for instance, even if that seemed good to me, because murder is morally wrong.

A dispensation isn’t forgiveness in advance.

It is a mortal sin to miss Mass good or not good reason without dispensation. That mortal sin can be confessed later if a person could not get a dispensation.

Circular reasoning.

Keeping the Lord’s day holy is not a discipline, its a commandment.

I dont think asking for forgiveness for not being able to pay a bill is permisson to sin.
If they can not pay it, and know they can not pay the debt (obligation) and feel badly they can not, they are not asking permission to sin. They are asking forgiveness for not being able to avoid a sin.

Not quite. The obligation to attend Mass is dispensed if there is a good reason. When there is no obligation to attend Mass, it is not a sin to miss Mass. Maybe we can answer better if you explain what you mean by “circular reasoning.” I don’t think it means quite the way you’re using it.

Why do people even bother seeking dispensation from a priest when they can do it themselves?:confused:

I didn’t say you can “do it yourself” :confused: Canon law allows bishops and pastors to give dispensations. The Church also tells us there is no obligation to attend when we’re too sick, or when we’re traveling and there is no Mass available.

Let me be more clear. What reason would a person have to get a dispensation from a priest considering what you just said above?

Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but I believe dispensation can be given for any just cause, like work or family reasons, if the pastor agrees that it is a good reason. For a more extreme example, say you’re traveling to China. Some of the government-approved churches are not really in union with the Pope. But it could be dangerous (for you and for others) to seek out an “underground” church. The pastor or bishop could grant a dispensation so you can avoid those issues.

And this is different from any other sin somehow?
By the way, thank you for dialouge with me, you are cordial and not why I have decided there is no use to talking to people here.

Thank you though, and have a great day:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.