Evangalizing to a Protestant need a little help

Hey folks,

I have been in a great conversation with a Baptist co worker who has ask questions about our faith. When she speaks of our church incorrectly I have been able to give different tracts from Catholic Answers and she has received them well and still has them today.

Fast forward, she is looking into a Free evangelical church due to problems with in her Baptist church. Sooooo I am looking for a good Catholic reference to give her some good information about our church. She is very spiritual and receptive to what I have said.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Eric

Do you know what kinds of problems she is having within her Baptist church and what is appealing to her about the Evangelical church? Knowing that might make it easier to suggest the right apologist source. Also, if she gets EWTN from her cable company, you could encourage her to watch it.

One thing that helped bring me back to the church when I was gone was the fact that the Church leadership is traceable to St. Peter. In my eight years of Catholic grade school they never taught us squat, so it took a Protestant to point that out to me.

Another thing that I found of interest is that the Catholic Church gets its authority from the top down, not from the bottom up. That means when I am on vacation anywhere in the world I can go to Mass and get basically the same teachings.

Other than that, I agree with Eden. If you can give us more information it would be easier to help.

Alan

I would suggest Crossing the Tiber by Stephen K. Ray, and Catholic for a Reason I and II. The latter books are edited by Leon J. Suprenant. The Catholic Catechism is a great source and is quite systematic in its approach.

[quote=Pax]I would suggest Crossing the Tiber by Stephen K. Ray, and Catholic for a Reason I and II. The latter books are edited by Leon J. Suprenant. The Catholic Catechism is a great source and is quite systematic in its approach.
[/quote]

I’d echo this and also recommend some good conversion stories like Rome Sweet Home, Surprised By Truth, and* Journeys Home*.

[quote=EricCKS]…Any suggestions?
[/quote]

What are you waiting for? Invite her to go to mass with you!

The book that got my wife seriously thinking the Catholic Church was true is “born fundamentalist, born again Catholic” by David Curie. Catholic Answers also has “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth” which is a very basic apologetic resource and gives basic Biblical understandings of Catholic teaching. It’s quite good.

The very fact that she is leaving one denomination for another will help you in your debate. What happens when she gets frustrated at her new church? Good luck and God Bless

[quote=AlanFromWichita]One thing that helped bring me back to the church when I was gone was the fact that the Church leadership is traceable to St. Peter. In my eight years of Catholic grade school they never taught us squat, so it took a Protestant to point that out to me.

Another thing that I found of interest is that the Catholic Church gets its authority from the top down, not from the bottom up. That means when I am on vacation anywhere in the world I can go to Mass and get basically the same teachings.

Other than that, I agree with Eden. If you can give us more information it would be easier to help.

Alan
[/quote]

Alan, there is something to do with an insurance check that the elders of her church were not entirely ethical about. Also, it is a very small church that is having much trouble finding a good Pastor to replace one that retires/left sometime ago. The church she is looking at is growing by leaps and bounds in my town. It is taking Catholics and Protostants alike. That church offers alot of good music, fellowship, and the pastor I hear gives a great sermon. The atmosphere is very casual and relaxed compared to our mass.

What are you waiting for? Invite her to go to mass with you!

Sometimes the easiest answers are quickly overlooked Thanks.
THanks
Eric

I would agree that if you ask this person go to mass it woud be the easiest way to tell if they would be open to the Catholic faith. Babtist and mennonite teaching arn’t too far off so I imagine if she has never been to Mass before it’s going to be a bit of a trip for her (man was it ever one for me).

Also please remember we are all Christians here so if she doesn’t end up going ot mass please don’t take it that she has lost her chance at salvation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.