Evangelical Catholic?

I was poking around the net today when I came across this “Evangelical Catholic” site (www.evangelicalcatholic.com)). It kind of piqued my interested because I am an Evangelical who is on the road to Rome, but still believe that the evangelical approach to Christianity has a lot of good things in it. Apparently this is a “denomination within the Catholic Church” according to Barrett. This is their approach to the Church: evangelicalcatholic.com/Essays/Primary%20Essays/EC%20Life.html

Is there anything heretical or of wrong emphasis on that site? Just wondering what the orthodox Catholic opinion on this is.

God Bless.

I don’t see anything I would call heretical, although the there seems to be a selective use of quotes to downplay traditional Catholic practice in favor of more “evangelical” forms of piety. One example of several:

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, in his three-volume commentary on the documents of Vatican II, observed in the Council’s document, On Divine Revelation, a definitive shift in the Church’s spirituality. According to Ratzinger, pre-Vatican II Catholic spirituality was characterized by such things as devotion to the Rosary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the saying of Novenas, and the praying of the Stations of the Cross. Ratzinger noted that the post-Vatican II Church ministers were now exhorted to give Scripture primacy of place in their preaching, and all the faithful—laity, religious, and clergy alike—were exhorted in the strongest language to place Scripture at the center of their personal devotion…

I also don’t see any mention of Mary or the Rosary as if these are embarrassments. Instead we see resources from the Navigators, a group that has sucked many a Catholic out of the Church. In short, I think this person or group is trying to be as Protestant as possible, while still being Catholic.

Apparently this is a “denomination within the Catholic Church” according to Barrett.

There is actually no such thing. There is just the Church. Everything else is a denomination.

[quote=Fidelis]I also don’t see any mention of Mary or the Rosary as if these are embarrassments. Instead we see resources from the Navigators, a group that has sucked many a Catholic out of the Church. In short, I think this person or group is trying to be as Protestant as possible, while still being Catholic.
[/quote]

Thats kind of what I thought. I wonder if this is an attempt to draw Protestants to the Church through appealing to what is most familiar to the typical evangelical mindset.

[quote=Fidelis] There is actually no such thing. There is just the Church. Everything else is a denomination.
[/quote]

:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.