Evangelical charity to hire married gay Christians

sfgate.com/default/article/Evangelical-charity-to-hire-married-gay-Christians-5345012.php

It’s not a Catholic organization, right? That makes sense, then.
Because as the President of the organization says, there are many Christian denominations–including Methodists, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Anglican, Pentacostal, and United, just to name a few–that do not believe or teach that same-sex or same-sex marriage is a sin.

It appears the evangelicals are going the way of mainline Protestants now. No surprise, it was just a matter of time.

The rock of the Catholic Church remains unchanged

Careful where you point those statistics, pardner…

hrc.org/blog/entry/quinnipiac-poll-54-percent-of-american-catholics-support-same-sex-marriage

religiondispatches.org/dispatches/candacechellew-hodge/4417/new_poll_shows_strong_catholic_support_for_gay_rights

politico.com/story/2014/03/gay-marriage-support-poll-104272.html

Support for same-sex “marriage” is significantly higher among Catholics than among Evangelicals.

Also, “Evangelical” is not necessarily a denomination. Some Evangelical churches are denominational, some aren’t. The majority oppose same sex “marriage,” but the ones that don’t get all the press…which of course Evangelical-haters promptly seize upon.

The news article doesn’t make clear that the policy change only applies to the US branch of World Vision. It does not affect World Vision International.
christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/march-web-only/world-vision-why-hiring-gay-christians-same-sex-marriage.html

The problem has arisen because of the sizable number of employees who are mainline Protestants. Quoting from Christianity Today:

However, World Vision now has staff from more than 50 denominations—a handful of which have sanctioned same-sex marriages or unions in recent years, including the United Church of Christ, The Episcopal Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and the Presbyterian Church (USA). Meanwhile, same-sex marriage is now legal in 17 states plus the District of Columbia, and federal judges have struck down bans in five other states (Utah, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, and—most recently—Michigan) as well as required Kentucky to recognize such marriages performed in other states. (All six rulings are stayed until the appeals process is complete.)

*Stearns said the new policy reflects World Vision’s parachurch and multi-denominational nature.

“Denominations disagree on many, many things: on divorce and remarriage, modes of baptism, women in leadership roles in the church, beliefs on evolution, etc.,” he said. “So our practice has always been to defer to the authority and autonomy of local churches and denominational bodies on matters of doctrine that go beyond the Apostles’ Creed and our statement of faith. We unite around our [Trinitarian beliefs], and we have always deferred to the local church on these other matters.”*
christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/march-web-only/world-vision-why-hiring-gay-christians-same-sex-marriage.html?start=2

You know, I find this to be disgusting. How can they do this and still call themselves Christians? They are indirectly supporting something that is gravely evil. There can never be no “marriage” between two people of the same sex, at least not in God’s eyes from Whom all rights come. I think they are Christian but evidently there is either some doctrine or people that are heterodox within this Evangelical organization.

Are you saying that no Christian should ever hire someone who is in a gay relationship?
This is an organization that works hard to do good in the world and they desperately need kind-hearted people who want to help.
Their good work has nothing to do with their sexual orientation.

You would want to deny these people their “good works”?

The doctrine of many Christian churches allows same-sex marriage.
Do you not believe in religious freedom? Do you want to deny these Christians their rights to their beliefs and their religious liberty to worship in the church they choose?

True marriage- i.e. Holy Matrimony- is not a civil rights issue, it is a spiritual issue. No matter how many states legalize something they call same-sex “marriage,” such “marriages” will always be imitations and mockeries of true marriage. 'Nuff said.

Eh, it’s the easy way. I’m not surprised. The Catholics and the Orthodox will be left holding the line.

Rev. Franklin Graham sounds pretty disappointed:

I was shocked today to hear of World Vision’s decision to hire employees in same-sex marriages. The Bible is clear that marriage is between a man and a woman.

My dear friend, Bob Pierce, the founder of World Vision and Samaritan’s Purse, would be heartbroken. He was an evangelist who believed in the inspired Word of God.

World Vision maintains that their decision is based on unifying the church - which I find offensive - as if supporting sin and sinful behavior can unite the church.

I think there is a fair amount of pushback in the Evangelical community. You quoted Franklin Graham, who has solid credentials. If you read the comment section of the Christianity Today article, you will see many ordinary Evangelicals are unhappy as well.

As for Catholics and Orthodox holding the line, there have been several news stories in recent years about similar incidents involving Catholic social welfare programs. For example:

Pro-life leaders criticize Catholic Relief Services over anti-malaria grant to family-planning provider
catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=18520

I am not sure about the Orthodox community, but I do wonder if the very nature of social welfare programs attracts employees who want to “be nice.”

:frowning:
Great.

I am not sure about the Orthodox community, but I do wonder if the very nature of social welfare programs attracts employees who want to “be nice.”

I meant that the Catholics and Orthodox will be the only ones to continue to not accept homosexual marriage. I suspect this World Vision move was made to avoid legal problems. In that way, they’ve made life easier for themselves.

World Vision to reverse gay marriage decision

worldmag.com/2014/03/world_vision_reportedly_reverses_decision

This reproduces the actual letter:
christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/march-web-only/world-vision-reverses-decision-gay-same-sex-marriage.html

Making a major policy change and reversing it two days later certainly seems unprincipled or at least undisciplined. The reality is I think some political and funding winds probably blew and caused the reversal.

Whoah. That was fast.

I think the Komen foundation did a similar about-face regarding grants to Planned Parenthood.

The problem with such quick reversals is that it tends to anger people on both sides. A segment of the public will view the first decision as a betrayal. And a different segment of the population will see the reverse decision as a betrayal.

Komen paid a financial price for its initial decision and then public reversal. I wonder if the same will be true for World Vision?

[World Vision reverses decision on same-sex marriage, ‘a mistake’](“http://www.religionnews.com/2014/03/26/world-vision-reverses-decision-sex-marriage-mistake”)

[World Vision reverses decision on same-sex marriage, ‘a mistake’](“http://www.religionnews.com/2014/03/26/world-vision-reverses-decision-sex-marriage-mistake”)d

[World Vision reverses decision on same-sex marriage, ‘a mistake’](“http://www.religionnews.com/2014/03/26/world-vision-reverses-decision-sex-marriage-mistake”)

While I appreciate World Vision reversing its decision and apologizing for making a decision that violated its stated belief in the authority of God’s word, I feel that the damage has already been done. This is was a clear strategy of a predominantly evangelical supported charity trying to pander to more “progressive” Christians, and, no surprise, it backfired horribly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.