Evangelical Covenant Church

How pro-life is the denomination? Does it oppose same-sex “marriage” and artificial contraception?

Is this a corner building, a regional presence, or some form of national or international organization?

covchurch.org/

Jon

From there website (easily found by a Google search, BTW :wink: )

We deplore the use of abortion as an alternative to abstinence or, within the covenant of marriage, other appropriate contraceptive measures. We affirm women who continue their pregnancies to full term despite personal hardship, distress, suffering, and even the risk of death. We affirm and encourage women who choose to place their newborn infants for adoption, preferably through Christian placement agencies. We believe abortion to be wrong and grieve whenever an abortion takes place. However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother. In all cases we urge immediate steps to seek medical and pastoral assistance. Aware of our own frailties and living in an imperfect world, we humbly seek God’s guidance in all matters of sexual behavior, and pregnancy.

covchurch.org/resolutions/2004-abortion/

Jon

I was baptized in that denomination. They are pretty orthodox as far as those issues

However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother.

This really concerns me. Direct abortion is always intrinsically evil. I remember the case of a nun who was excommunicated a few years back for participating in an abortion performed to save a pregnant woman’s life.

My experience has been very positive with them very pro life and fairly catholic friendly

On a number of their local congregation websites they list all the other local Christian churches they agree with links to their websites.

I’m fairly sure they were started by Lutherans that had no Lutheran church near them and needed a church

If the ECC is against all forms of direct abortion, TPTB need to make that clear.

Perhaps, as they say they came out of the pietist movement.

Jon

[quote=Maxirad] Quote:

However, we recognize that in some tragic instances abortion may need to be considered to safeguard the life of the mother.

This really concerns me. Direct abortion is always intrinsically evil. I remember the case of a nun who was excommunicated a few years back for participating in an abortion performed to save a pregnant woman’s life.
[/quote]

how do you define “direct abortion”? I never heard that term before.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Click on the following link, concretecamper:

catholic.com/quickquestions/whats-the-difference-between-direct-and-indirect-abortion

Uh-oh! Judie Brown of American Life League answered someone’s question about the ECC on the EWTN web site. Sorry, but Ms. Brown’s response doesn’t leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Well, most evangelical Protestants are pro-contraceptive (or at least open to its use between two married people as they judge best in the light of God’s word), so you’re probably not going to find many evangelicals who go to the position of the Roman Catholic Church on this issue.

As to the actual resolution on abortion, it contains two parts:

1. the statement that abortion is wrong, a rejection of its use as an alternative to abstinence or contraceptive (in the case of a married couple)

and

1. a recognition that in tragic instances abortion “may need to be considered” to save the mother’s life; medical and pastoral assistance should be sought in all cases.

While that may be liberal from a Catholic perspective, it is well within the bounds of current evangelical thought.

Sorry, but I’m really feeling distressed about the situation. Michael Voris of St. Michael’s Media has said that one cannot truly consider oneself pro-life if one doesn’t oppose contraception as well as abortion. CAF members should feel free to send me a private message if they would like to know why I’m particularly distressed.

That is because the early “pill” caused a lot of problems with side effects. The “pill” was then reformulated in that a major component of the contraception is thinning of the wall of the uterus. This is to prevent the attachment of the baby to the wall of the uterus. So, if one believes that life begins at conception, and uses the “pill”, that person may indeed have caused an abortion.

You can prevent life by terminating it or causing it not to occur. Either way…it is not pro life.

Can someone here on CAF possibly verify whether or not Craig Groeschel of LifeChurch.tv has publicly spoken out against artificial contraception?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.