Evangelical "stay-at-home women" Bible verses

I’ve been talking with an Evangelical who is convinced that women should stay at home until they’re given in marriage, should never be political leaders (or any types of leaders, for that matter), etc. She’s been using Genesis 2:24 to “prove” her point. How do I refute this argument? And are there any Bible verses that show that women are not forbidden from leaving home until marriage and that they are allowed to be leaders? I can argue my point from a logical standpoint, but she needs Biblical evidence.
Thank you!

There were many woman that were involved in Jesus’ and Paul’s ministry; Phoebe (a deaconess of the Church - Romans 16:1-2), Prisca along with her husband Aquila who were (fellow workers in Christ - Romans 16:3, and other places), Mary Magdalene, the Virgin Mary, and many other woman who were disciples, they were not stay at home women.

Pope John Paul II, in his letter Mulieris Dignitatem, cites quite a lot of verses in his arguments re: women’s vocation and dignity. He does cite several times the verse your acquaintance is using (Gen 2:24), but not to suggest that women should remain in their parents’ home until married!

You can read this apostolic letter online: vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081988_mulieris-dignitatem_en.html

Even if you don’t find anything directly addressing your acquaintance’s argument, IMO it’s worth a read, because it’s a fairly extensive look at the role of women (with plenty of biblical citations).

Rather, I think she needs biblical evidence that being “bible only” isn’t sufficient for teaching and understanding of faith and morals.

Does she also wear a headcovering?
Does she follow Levitical law regarding women and menstruation?

You have to read the bible within the context that it was written.

You could pose the converse question to her: Can she show you a verse or passage in Scripture that specifically says women should remain at their parents’ home until marriage? I don’t see how Genesis 2:24 proves her position at all.

Practically speaking, how does that work, anyway? What if a woman doesn’t marry until her 30s or 40s? Or what if she never marries? Does she stay at home and live off her aging parents and never learn any job skills? What if her parents die, and she is still unmarried?

In her world view, apparently women are never allowed to be adults unless they get married.

I live at home, and, am an adult. And, I believe that women should live with their parents, or grandparents, until they can afford a home. There is too many men who take advantage of women who live alone, and so, the place must be very secure. Besides that, inexpensive apartments tend to have fires. I think that I could argue against her moving out, in order to make it more convenient for you.

How does a young woman force her beliefs on her parents who won’t let her live with them? Why would a holy young woman want to live with Godless or atheist, or protestant, or non practicing Catholic parents?

This is an area of free choice for us as believers. What works for some doesn’t work for everyone. Some people are blessed with holy Catholic families and parents who want them to live with them, most Americans however, aren’t.

There are no Bible verses that show such, explicitly, but there are also no Bible verses that require such, explicitly. In other words, such a thought is neither required nor proscribed by the Bible alone. Hope that helps.

Is it just me or does Gen 2:24 only refer to men not leaving home until they are married?

Gen 2:24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

And even that doesn’t refer to living proximity. “Leave” in what way?

It’s just you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.