Evangelical to Baptist to Anglican to Orthodox

I was fascinated by this persons journey of realization that the Bible alone or Sola Scriptura has to be questioned.

fromprotestanttoorthodox.blogspot.com/

BUT…THAT’S NOT IN THE BIBLE!

I quickly realized, however, that what I was really saying was, “That’s not the way I read the Bible.” I had already established to my own satisfaction that prefacing my beliefs with the phrase, “The Bible says,” while being a recognition of Scripture’s trustworthiness, was rather futile, as I could “make the Bible say” whatever I wanted it to say 2,000 years later, depending on my denomination’s tradition. This was when what should have been obvious all along really hit home: All denominations, even if they say they’re just reading Scripture, are filtering it through a tradition of some sort. Many Protestants will admit this readily, merely saying that their particular tradition is the most faithful to the authors’ original intent. However, how will one prove this?

Protestants are realizing that this man made traditioin of the Bible alone just won't lead you anywhere except to the truth if you keep your eyes open....

Absolutely. I was a believer in Sola Scriptura until a readthrough of the bible destroyed that.

Ultimately the bible is worthless without a tradition through which to look at it.

[quote="Nine_Two, post:2, topic:282506"]
Absolutely. I was a believer in Sola Scriptura until a readthrough of the bible destroyed that.

Ultimately the bible is worthless without a tradition through which to look at it.

[/quote]

Father Stephen Freeman had a great blog article about this. People see the Bible as truth, but there is only one truth

[BIBLEDRB]John 14:6[/BIBLEDRB]

The Bible is meaningless if not for Christ. The Bible should only be interpreted with the truth of Christ, not the other way around. Sola Scriptura believers see that it is only the Bible that reveals the truth about Christ.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:3, topic:282506"]
Father Stephen Freeman had a great blog article about this. People see the Bible as truth, but there is only one truth

[BIBLEDRB]John 14:6[/BIBLEDRB]

The Bible is meaningless if not for Christ. The Bible should only be interpreted with the truth of Christ, not the other way around. Sola Scriptura believers see that it is only the Bible that reveals the truth about Christ.

[/quote]

I've seen evangelical (i.e., Christian) or evangelical-imitating (i.e., heretical) statements of faith which begin,

1) We believe X about the Bible.

2) We believe Y and Z about God and Jesus Christ.

This approach is putting the cart before the horse. God and Jesus Christ are the ocean and the Bible is one river flowing from this immense body of water.

And these are precisely the groups many of whose adherents will accuse Catholics/Orthodox of idolatry...?!

Yet, who here is making an idol of a book?

Trebor

Well put. Excellent post.

[quote="Trebor135, post:4, topic:282506"]
I've seen evangelical (i.e., Christian) or evangelical-imitating (i.e., heretical) statements of faith which begin,

This approach is putting the cart before the horse. God and Jesus Christ are the ocean and the Bible is one river flowing from this immense body of water.

And these are precisely the groups many of whose adherents will accuse Catholics/Orthodox of idolatry...?!

[/quote]

Trebor,

What they are doing is stating what their authority is and why they believe it...the problem is that they forgot where that authority came from and as you can imagine tend not to encourage anyone to ask that question. To ask that question leads to wondering and wondering leads to further questioning until...you leave the group that proposes this stuff...

Thank you. See you next Saturday evening at a pub near you. :stuck_out_tongue: We shall have to discuss these matters in more depth over some rum and dessert.

:thumbsup: Absolutely.

Preach it, apostolic Christian sibling!

We must reach out to those lost souls and bring them to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. By partaking in a biblical sacrament instituted the day before his Passion: holy communion. Not by performing a man-made ritual invented a couple hundred years ago: the altar call. (Which brings up the question: what altar?!)

[quote="Trebor135, post:7, topic:282506"]
Thank you. See you next Saturday evening at a pub near you. :p We shall have to discuss these matters in more depth over some rum and dessert.

:thumbsup: Absolutely.

Preach it, apostolic Christian sibling!

We must reach out to those lost souls and bring them to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. By partaking in a biblical sacrament instituted the day before his Passion: holy communion. Not by performing a man-made ritual invented a couple hundred years ago: the altar call. (Which brings up the question: what altar?!)

[/quote]

Trebor,

You may want to visit my thread about the Altar Call...the Baptists say it is not Biblical...let them know that this is an unbiblical practice...:thumbsup:

[quote="Trebor135, post:4, topic:282506"]

[/quote]

A very Eastern and Orthodox post sir!

Alex

[quote="CopticChristian, post:1, topic:282506"]
I was fascinated by this persons journey of realization that the Bible alone or Sola Scriptura has to be questioned.

fromprotestanttoorthodox.blogspot.com/

BUT…THAT’S NOT IN THE BIBLE!

Protestants are realizing that this man made traditioin of the Bible alone just won't lead you anywhere except to the truth if you keep your eyes open....

[/quote]

I agree! From the very depth of holy scripture, all men cannot receive it in one and the same sense: one person interprets the divine oracles in one manner; another person, in a manner totally different; insomuch that, from the same source, almost as many opinions may be plausibly elicited as there are men. Therefore, amidst so great perplexities, of such various error, it is extremely necessary that the line of prophetic and apostolic interpretation be regulated by the standard of ecclesiastical and catholic judgment. The key to having a solid, scriptural faith is to have a faith that is consonant with the mind of the whole Church, which means, among other things, submitting ourselves to the guidance of the early Church councils wherein the whole mind of the Church was guided to godly conclusions by the Holy Spirit.This does not mean that such councils are infallible, but that in the principle of conciliarity there is to be found the highest degree of probability that what is taught is the truth, because of both the comprehensiveness of meeting in council and because of the guidance of the Holy Spirit that comes upon gatherings led by bishops who are open to receive Him. And when the council is ancient and ecumenical, that probability becomes as near to one hundred percent as you can get. If you imply that truth equals everything that the Roman Catholic Church is teaching then I have to disagree with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.