Evangelicals Will Be Extinct Within Ten Years

Just read a huge article from the Christian Science Monitor that Evangelicals will be gone within 10 years due to the fact they are too much into their Megachurches, and they don’t teach the truth from the Word of God.

Hmm… Well from this article it seems to be the opposite.

cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/03/09/us.religion.less.christian/index.html?iref=newssearch

One in three Americans consider themselves evangelical, and the number of people associated with mega-churches has skyrocketed from less than 200,000 in 1990 to more than 8 million in the latest survey.

The one comment made in the article that suggests a relation to your comment is…

The rise in evangelical Christianity is contributing to the rejection of religion altogether by some Americans, said Mark Silk of Trinity College.

All we can do is wait and see.

**That is not a trusted website.
THE COMING EVANGELICAL COLLAPSE:

Between 25 and 35% of Americans are Evangelicals. When you say they are emerging, you are talking about the “Protestant” 20th century when evangelicals flourished. But they soon will be living in a secular and religiously antaganostic 21st century.
MILLIONS OF EVANGELICALS WILL QUIT. THOUSANDS OF MINISTRIES WILL END.
Consumer megachurches,
dying churches, and new churches whose future is fragile.
DENOMINATIONS WILL SHRINK, EVEN VANISH, WHILE FEWER AND FEWER EVANGELICAL CHURCHES WILL SURVIVE AND THRIVE.
Two of the beneficiaries will be the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH and ORTHODOX communions. Evangelicals have been entering these churches in recent decades with more effort aimed at the conversion of evangelicals into the Roman Catholic church (in which they belong).**

That would go more for liberal Protestant denominations rather than Evangelicals especially the Anabaptists. Actually what we should do as Catholics is inform the Protestants that Martin Luther was praying the rosary at his death. Luther was very "Catholic’ when he died. Many things he posted on the church were changed and he should get credit for it. He should not get credit for Lutheranism he didn’t institute. If Lutherans went back to the original Lutheranism they would see how Catholic Luther was.

That’s true, and I am. So, do you think the day is soon that Catholics of the Augsburg Confession will be reunited with our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters?

Jon

CNN is not a trusted website :shrug:
Christianity is shrinking however that which remains will shift towards nondenominational away from the mainlines…

An opinion piece in the Christian Science Moniter by a self proclaimed “internet monk” is reliable. But a study by CNN is not? Hoew about the PEW research group in last years “the church is dying story” put the death on mainline protestants and the politically liberal church? If I recall the findings correctly that would have been the one where 10% of the American population consider themselves as ex-Catholic and some 44% are in a different faith tradition then the one they were raised in.

:nope: In your dreams, buddy, only in your dreams.

Franky Shaeffer wrote a similar book called THE GREAT EVANGELICAL DISASTER some 30 years ago that said the same thing.

At the time, he was Evangelicalism’s angry young man. Now he’s Orthodoxy’s angry young man.

What has stayed the same?

Their teachings are not in accordance with Jesus Christ. they are sooooo into their megachurches it isn’t funny. It is a known fact they are converting to the Catholic faith.

Your sources with statics? I am not a huge fan of Evangelicals but them being on the decline without any evidence to the contrary is a little far fetched. Also CNN didn’t do the survey, Trinity College did.

americanreligionsurvey-aris.org/

I did not know Luther was praying the rosary at his death. Now I feel a litter more at peace about being a rosary praying LCMS member. Maybe we will come back one at a time. Since there are not much for talks between Rome and the LCMS.

Apparently, Baptists are going to see a huge nose dive in about twenty to thirty years.

Part 1: youtube.com/watch?v=7J4VHW_J1Hg

Part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=5UaSaiX6kVM

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Do you want to bet a premium steak dinner on that?
We both live one the right coast and could exchange contact information.

What will happen is the usual changes in demographics and economics, causing the collapse of the modern mega-church and a return to a smaller, local community. Evangelicalism, should it collapse in the United States, will do so more because of its position on education. If a small but vocal minority of its members do not stop degrading the virtues of education at the highest level, you may see the group shrink due to lack of money or a perception that it is for the uneducated/poor.

Interestingly enough, I read that article this week. OTCA, read what the author said at the bottom:

“I’m not a prophet. My view of evangelicalism is not authoritative or infallible. I am certainly wrong in some of these predictions. But is there anyone who is observing evangelicalism in these times who does not sense that the future of our movement holds many dangers and much potential?”

That’s really different from your take on it on this thread.

Source:
csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html

No, but thank you for strengthening just what I said. :thumbsup:

Evangelical Christianity is the fastest growing form of Christianity right now. That’s why Asia is converting so rapidly.

Obviously you read the article posted here: csmonitor.com/2009/0310/p09s01-coop.html which was posted in another thread a few days ago. And you call this reliable??

I am always troubled by predictions coming out of the news media.

It seems like too often writers are pandering to the publics taste for sensationalism. Often enough its just a big lot of nonsense.

Authors get paid by the article.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.