Evangelicals with gay children challenging church

The gay agenda is getting front page HEADLINES. Somewhat unfair, I would add because good moral issues seemed non-existent now a days.

news.yahoo.com/evangelicals-gay-children-challenging-church-203000318.html

The Church does not support Reparative Therapy and never has.

:thumbsup:

Yes,reparative therapy may be counterproductive as it does not address the deep seated psychological problems as well as a possible gross hormonal abnormality in utero. These unfortunate people do not chose this attraction but they DO chose to act on it when they engage in acts of mutual masturbation and sodomy. That is not love but lust. True love is self sacrificing and humble.

wnd.com/2002/06/14206/

This is an old but interesting article about some of the earlier attempts of the homosexual lobby to infect the church and destroy Judeo Christain values via the kinsey institutes. These courses were actually taught in my diocese and were not stopped until I believe a news crew went in and secretly filmed one of the “classes”.

This story has nothing to do with a so-called “agenda”.
The tortured teenager in this story killed himself (or accidental overdose?) after much psychological harm was done to him.
This is a very real dilemma, struggle, heartache, and devastation that thousands of Christian and other theist parents and their children are dealing with today, every day.

Doesn’t despair and suicide in these families warrant a story to promote discussion to try to come up with a solution and help?
I’ll answer that for you: Yes, it does.

The topic of this story is indeed a moral issue. And it’s about family love. And about compassion.

And yet, you find the posting this story “unfair”?

I’m so, so, so curious to know why.

Suicide is not limited to gay teens and there is no evidence that the therapy caused the young man to kill himself.He may have had a depressive disorder that was not properly treated. Compassion is very important but also condoning genital acts of masturbation under the guise of love is hardly the way to solve the rampant rise of a pro sodomy society that hides under the guise of “freedom of sexual expression”

Sorry, not true. Conversion therapy has existed from the time of Jesus:

1 CORINTHIANS 6
" Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor sodomites nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. That is what some of you used to be; but now you have had yourselves washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

The Catholic Church also does currently support conversion therapy:

ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/homohope.HTM

I do not consider myself unfortunate and just as with heterosexual relations, there is love and self-sacrifice in many same-sex relationships. As Cardinal Erdo wrote about same-sex unions in the midterm report from the Synod on the Family, “it has to be noted that there are cases in which mutual aid to the point of sacrifice constitutes a precious support in the life of the partners.”

thanks for the interesting link

That is merely a preliminary document as Pope Francis has clearly stated he is not out to change doctrine or the teachings of the catechism but to help people overcome their sins. The bible nor the catechism makes any distinction between committed homosexual relations or casual. They are all disordered and must be rejected in order to reach Christian perfection.

You can love another person very greatly to the point of self sacrifice yet that self giving should never include mutual masturbation or sodomy.

Yes, a depressive disorder stemming from that pathetic excuse for therapy.

No one has claimed that people are unable to stop engaging in gay sex which is what that passage is about.

That is the CMA supporting conversion therapy, not the Church.

At the same time you need to remember that engaging in sex with your partner is a sin, loving him is not.

Neither the Bible nor the Catechism make a distinction between committed homosexual relations or casual because they aren’t talking about relationships, they are talking about sexual acts.

The passage in 1 Corinthians does not say anything about “sodomites” and the concept of “sodomy” as a sexual sin did not even exist before the 11th century when it was first used by the Catholic theologian Peter Damian. The Greek word used in Paul is “arsenokoitai” which appears to have been invented by Paul since it is not known in any Greek text before him. It is made up of the Greek words “arsen” which means “man” and “koitai” which means “beds.” It’s exact meaning is unknown. It could hardly have been intended by Paul to refer to sexual activity between males since he would have used the standard Greek word for that which was “paiderasste.”

How does this follow the teachings of Jesus Christ? God loves us all equally and “rejects” none of His children.
By what right do we judge others? God alone has that right. We should surely look into our own lives and try to improve ourselves with the help of Our Blessed Lord.

I did not write relationship i wrote relations as in sexual relations

Emily,I am offering info from the Catechism. God does not reject His children but does reject sinful behavior.The bible and Church have always viewed homosexual sex as very disordered and depraved.A very clear distinction is made between the person and their actions though.

Of course I’m not a Catholic so I’m not bound to believe that sexual relations with my partner are a sin. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to which I belong has reached no consensus on this issue and welcomes those (including clergy) who are in committed, monogamous same-sex relationships. The ELCA has decided to leave this issue to the individual conscience of its members.

So why comment on a Catholic forum? To us the behavior itself is an abomination though i do not want to presume how you achieve orgasm.It is impossible for two people of the same sex to use their sexual faculties in a normal way.

You don’t have to be a Catholic to comment in this forum, do you? :wink:

No,you do not but to promote mortal sin is quite offensive. You may have an opinion but there are many other forums that welcome that behavior.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.