Evangelist Billy Graham defends Chick-fil-A

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN)– Billy Graham, the dean of American evangelists, has once again broken his usual silence on hot-button issues, defending the president of the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain for his opposition to same-sex marriage days after issuing a letter decrying what he sees as the nation’s moral decay.

Earlier this year, the ailing preacher publicly endorsed a proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay unions in North Carolina, raising eyebrows among many who’d watched Graham studiously avoid thorny social issues for years.

More:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/26/evangelist-billy-graham-defends-chick-fil-a/

Good for Dr. Graham.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:293164"]
More:

religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/26/evangelist-billy-graham-defends-chick-fil-a/

[/quote]

I would have expected Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, to become involved in this controversy and endorse such an amendment but not his father, particularly at this stage of his life. Graham has intentionally been avoiding wedge issues such as this, focusing rather on the love of G-d than the divisions between people. I've always admired Billy Graham for his convictions but I find his public stance on the matter disappointing.

I just don't get the whole double standard. Why doesn't freedom of speech work both ways? And for the cities to get involved? We are really heading down an awful road in this country.

Gay marriage has been popular for how long? It was voted against for years. All of a sudden everyone is outraged? Ridiculous.

Some of the comments against Christians is just tough to look at, too. Can't go there!

[quote="meltzerboy, post:3, topic:293164"]
I would have expected Billy Graham's son, Franklin Graham, to become involved in this controversy and endorse such an amendment but not his father, particularly at this stage of his life. Graham has intentionally been avoiding wedge issues such as this, focusing rather on the love of G-d than the divisions between people. I've always admired Billy Graham for his convictions but I find his public stance on the matter disappointing.

[/quote]

But Christ, Himself, said that He came to divide and that He will spit luke-warmness out of His mouth. I think if you try to reconcile a love for God with a desire to offend no one then you will have turned christianity into something that is completely devoid of all meaning.

I applaud Billy Graham. I may disagree with many of his Protestant views but, on this issue, the evangelicals are our partners in battle!

I agree with Billy Graham, although I don't agree with his theology. This is one issue that some Protestants, some Lutherans and Catholics can come together on besides abortions.

Everybody's opinion is a matter of freedom of speech in our country, unless that person is a Christian! These opinions about gay marriage by the president of Chick-fil-A are exactly that; opinions. He has said on camera that everybody is welcome at his restaurants. He is not discriminating against anyone's right to believe what they want to believe, but they are discriminating against his right to free speech, because he is a Christian! :mad: I'll be eating at Cick-fil-A soon!

[quote="hn160, post:6, topic:293164"]
I agree with Billy Graham, although I don't agree with his theology. This is one issue that some Protestants, some Lutherans and Catholics can come together on besides abortions.

[/quote]

So where are the Catholic priests voices on this matter? As usual I haven't heard any speak up it always seems to be the Protestants. I wonder why? Hummmm

I find it a bit hypocritical that Chick-fil-A closes on Sunday but uses it as an opportunity to have groups of Mexicans paint, instal new roofs, lay new floor tile and re-stripe the parking lots. All of this they invariably schedule on Sundays.

They are closed Sunday but seem happy to have other's do hard manual labor on Sunday.

-Tim-

[quote="Phyllo, post:8, topic:293164"]
So where are the Catholic priests voices on this matter? As usual I haven't heard any speak up it always seems to be the Protestants. I wonder why? Hummmm

[/quote]

I don't speak up because I think they are hypocritical.

They use the virtue of closing the stores on Sunday as an opportunity to have groups of Mexicans paint, instal new roofs, lay new floor tile and re-stripe the parking lots. All of this they invariably schedule on Sundays.

They are closed Sunday but seem happy to have other's do hard manual labor on Sunday. :shrug:

-Tim-

Wow.

Interesting response. I don’t have these stores in my neighborhood. So then I only have half the story. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

How do you know this? Your claims are very specific about the work done and the ethnicity of the people doing the work. Through casual observation I have to say I can’t recall seeing any of that. I have observed many times absolutely no activity going on at a Chick-fil-a on a Sunday.

It might be that the national organization prohibits being open on Sunday but does not prohibit the franchises from having work done to their stores on Sundays. The work you claim occurs on Sundays might be limited to certain stores. But even if it is not I would have to think it overall a good thing that the stores are closed on Sundays. When almost everything else is open on Sundays I think it a good message to see these stores closed for business. And since I’ve seen no activity happening at most stores I’ve happened to take notice of on Sunday I’d have to say that overall they are not engaging in any commerce on Sundays. This is a better, if imperfect, reality than what most businesses and Christians do with their Sunday.

[quote="TimothyH, post:10, topic:293164"]

They use the virtue of closing the stores on Sunday as an opportunity to have groups of Mexicans paint, instal new roofs, lay new floor tile and re-stripe the parking lots. All of this they invariably schedule on Sundays.

They are closed Sunday but seem happy to have other's do hard manual labor on Sunday. :shrug:

-Tim-

[/quote]

All you have to do is drive by one on a Sunday. They arrange all their repair work for Sundays. I've seen paint trucks, plumbing trucks and landscaping trucks parked there on Sundays so someone is working there.

[quote="TimothyH, post:10, topic:293164"]

-Tim-

[/quote]

That's because the "Mexicans" (though I'm sure not everyone doing maintenance at Chik-Fil-A isn't Mexican) can go to Saturday evening mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.