Eve and Adam?

Origen taught that the second Creation Account in Genesis was about the inner person.

Oh scholarly ones, in the course of the history of the Church has Eve been considered to be Human Wisdom and Adam human free will?

Was Adam to be a symbol for our will? And a real person, too!

Was Eve seen to be a symbol for our wisdom? And a real person,too.

Not that I have heard. The only fact is that they were real persons.
God Bless
www.divinemercypopes.com

[size=3]ENCYCLICAL[/size]

***HUMANI GENERIS***OF THE HOLYFATHER **PIUS XII **12 August 1950

[LEFT] …the first eleven chapters of Genesis, although properly speaking not conforming to the historical method used by the best Greek and Latin writers or by competent authors of our time, do nevertheless pertain to history in a true sense, which however must be further studied and determined by exegetes; the same chapters, (the Letter points out), in simple and metaphorical language adapted to the mentality of a people but little cultured, both state the principal truths which are fundamental for our salvation, and also give a popular description of the origin of the human race and the chosen people. If, however, the ancient sacred writers have taken anything from popular narrations (and this may be conceded), it must never be forgotten that they did so with the help of divine inspiration, through which they were rendered immune from any error in selecting and evaluating those documents.

[size=3]…[/size][/LEFT]

…not that I would say so, myself.

But, in reading the book about Mary called “Mary and the Early Church Fathers” (see my post in the scripture forum), I am struck that what is said about Mary’s conception and her holiness could (says me) be applied to Adam and Eve.

For example, they were immaculately conceived and so forth, as Mary was.

Eve was certainly a “highly favored one” to be the mother of mankind, as well.

Whereas Mary prevailed, Eve had not prevailed. As Eve succumbed into sin at the urging of an evil spirit, Mary became the Mother of salvation, itself, at the urging of a heavenly spirit. etc.

so… you’re on to something, but I don’t know how you got there.

all of these comparisons are – says me.

But, in that book, there’s a lot of discussion of the Eve-Mary connection.

From post 1.

“Was Adam to be a symbol for our will? And a real person, too!
Was Eve seen to be a symbol for our wisdom? And a real person,too.”

To me, there is a big difference between a connection/comparison between Eve and Mary and God creating a symbol person for an attribute of all humans.

Thanks!

Any more help?

The creation of Eve, as companion to Adam, also formed our nature as fundamentally self-and-other.

Eve was fashioned from what was on the outside of Adam, close to his heart.
Two persons created from one flesh becoming one flesh in physical love.
Our existence is always in relation to something, someone else; in love, we are in them as they are in us.
What is on the outside of me is the other, as the I am other to him; we are inexorably linked to each other.
We can see an obvious sign of this in that internally, we think in symbols and words that at the same time enable us to communicate with one another.
With the fall, sin harmed our relationships: the self no longer trusts the other from whom we seek love but find control and domination, because as other, we are not to be trusted.

I believe that with the creation of Eve we are also made more in the image of God, in that Eve begotten by God from Adam, the two joined in mutual love existing in Eden, suggests the Trinity.

In Adam and Eve we are told of the beginnings of humanity. Obviously these had to be real people from whom we are all descended.

[quote="Aloysium, post:7, topic:326977"]
The creation of Eve, as companion to Adam, also formed our nature as fundamentally self-and-other.

Eve was fashioned from what was on the outside of Adam, close to his heart.
Two persons created from one flesh becoming one flesh in physical love.
Our existence is always in relation to something, someone else; in love, we are in them as they are in us.
What is on the outside of me is the other, as the I am other to him; we are inexorably linked to each other.
We can see an obvious sign of this in that internally, we think in symbols and words that at the same time enable us to communicate with one another.
With the fall, sin harmed our relationships: the self no longer trusts the other from whom we seek love but find control and domination, because as other, we are not to be trusted.

I believe that with the creation of Eve we are also made more in the image of God, in that Eve begotten by God from Adam, the two joined in mutual love existing in Eden, suggests the Trinity.

In Adam and Eve we are told of the beginnings of humanity. Obviously these had to be real people from whom we are all descended.

[/quote]

While I definitely like what you wrote, the idea of "more in the image of God" begets a lot of comparison problems as to what is the real image. Do we have more real image than Adam because we are born after Eve? In my humble opinion, it seems to me that the real image is directly due to or related to the God-created spiritual soul.

They were some thoughts that came to mind, more or less following this line of thinking:
We are asked to love God totally and each other as ourselves.
There is a connection between the self and the other such that we are whole when we are in loving relationships with one another.
With the creation of Adam (the solitary person) humanity was not complete, but became so after Eve.
Our spiritual nature includes our consciousness and free-will and enables us to know, to love and appreciate beauty.
We think of ourselves as being individual, but love being an essential aspect of our spiritual nature means that we exist in relation to others.
This seems to bear some similarity to the Trinity in that, as part of our make-up, there are also three aspects: self, other and the knowledge/love between them.
An image of the love and relationship of the three Persons in the Trinity is seen in the creation of mankind as persons ideally bound in love.
It makes some sense to me but I may not have thought it all out and/or may not be expressing myself clearly.

I am beginning to understand what you are saying. Thank you. We have a wonderful Catholic religion.:smiley:

I am the OP.

We are the bride of Christ.

Our soul is joined in marriage to him.

Our soul, thus, in some respect is symbolized as feminine.

In Greek culture, wisdom was symbolized a a lady, and so too in the Enlightenment.

That are some reasons why I asked these questions.

I am an ordinary Catholic.

I believe in the Catholic teachings on human nature which are found in paragraphs 355-421 of the universal Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition.

Because Adam and Eve are human with a human nature, my sincere suggestion is to study paragraphs 355-421 of the universal Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition.

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.