Ever feel too sinful to go to church?

Have you ever committed a negligent, stupid, grave sin and felt too ashamed and dirty to go to church? Like God would be most displeased if you were to enter His holy house of worship?

Is there a canon law that forbids someone from entering a church?

I willingly lived in a state of mortal sin for over 20 years. I did not feel like going into a church during this time. It was ridiculous as far as I was concerned. I did not care what God thought.

Now a generally good person who sins and then is too ashamed to go to church is probably under spiritual attack. That would be the evil one trying to keep them away from God as one must enter the church to go to confession and get back into communion with God.

God loves us all whether we are sinners or not. There is no prohibition on sinners entering the church. If there was, no one would be ever be able to enter.:slight_smile:

I’m just baffled and ashamed that I fall to the same sin over and over again. I’m not Catholic, so I can’t confess to a priest for reconciliation. So I’m in a constant state of sin.

There’s the parable of the prodigal son. But I do wonder how many times God would welcome us back from the pig sty.

All of this stems from following my own will (which, surprise, leads to sin and destruction) and not obeying the will of God.

If only I could be more obedient.

God will welcome you back from the pigsty as many times as you come back home. Remember what Jesus said in reply to a question about how many times we should forgive? 70 times 7. His mercy is infinite.

Since you can’t go to confession, confess your sins to God…tell him of your sorrow and ask for help. Just keep doing it. HE still loves you and will forgive you.

Are you going to mass? If so, then maybe you can go talk to the priest during confession hours. Tell him you aren’t Catholic, that you have sinned, and ask if he can give you a blessing. Some will do that.

Praying for your conversion so you can experience the joys of confession.

I don’t see any reason why the church would forbid you to enter the church because of sin.

That is like saying your sickness is to great we can’t let you in this hospital even though we can heal you.

There have been times when I was almost surprised that at the Elevation, fire didn’t come out of the raised Host to zap me. I went to church anyway.

Previous comments are good.

Since you say you are going to church have you ever given thought to becoming Catholic. The RCIA process would be a great way to work through your concerns, become Catholic, and have access to the blessings of confession. I will keep you in my prayers.

A righteous man falls seven times, and rises again; but the wicked are overthrown by calamity. Proverbs 24:16

We do not turn back to God by avoiding Mass. But I know how you feel. Shame is a good thing, when its our conscience telling us to hate what we are doing that puts us in conflict with the Holy Spirit in us. But it is not our conscience telling us we should avoid Mass. It is the evil spirits that delight in our faillings.

We should reconcile ourselves with man and God before receiving Communion. This is where we should have a clear conscience and be right with God.

Peace
Michael

Ever feel too sick to visit a doctor? :slight_smile:

There is no sin so great in deed or in number that God, when asked, can not or will not forgive.

The Church is the one place that you are always welcome, no matter what the case, always.

No. I trust in Jesus and believe in His Divine Mercy.

I said to myself, “You’ve committed a grave sin. Wait and give God time before you go to church again. He is holy and would not want you to contaminate Mass.”

Then I felt silly because God doesn’t live in “time”, and if I’m going to repent anyways, what’s the point in waiting?

I may be forgiven, but I’m not looking forward to purgatory.

The more you sin, the bigger is the need to go to Church. Confess, repent and have joy in Gods greatest gift to us, His Son.

As far as I know there is nothing that say one can not enter The Church, no matter what you have done. So the answer is “never”.

you’re never going to contaminate the mass. This thought is coming from the evil one, you should never separate yourself from the graces that can be received during the mass even if you don’t receive communion because you are in a state of mortal sin.

Look the evil one will do what ever he can to try and pull you away from reciving God’s mercy and his grace. If not doing something makes you feel uneasy its probably a sign that the devil is trying to pull you away from something good.

God bless you in your journey.

Have I felt that way? Yes, a couple times. But then my confessor reminded me that, no matter what, God will welcome us back if we turn to him and humble ourselves.

Do not worry friend, God will welcome you with open arms if you turn to him, it doesn’t matter what you’ve done.

There is more rejoicing for a single soul that repents than for 99 souls who have no need of repentance.

I too lived in a state of mortal sin for over 20 years and felt the same way. I was amazed when I allowed God fully into my life and how the Holy Spirit prompted me to return to Him and yes the evil one pulled his usual tricks, but God is so much stronger - Amen! God does not force us but invites us back as He is an ocean of mercy, love and forgiveness. But we have to participate.

I think when we are aware of our sinfulness we are under a false notion that God’s church is a museum for saints, when it is in fact a hospital for sinners and so we are reluctant to return. Our shamefulness is so great, but it is in fact our hearts repenting when we feel this way and we have to remind people that He forgives us when we do feel this way but the gift of forgiveness is a beautiful thing when received in the sacramental confession, not just privately - we have to speak with our lips and we need His representative, the Catholic priest to absolve us or our sins - 1 Peter 5:7 “cast all your worries upon Him because He cares for you.”

The entire time I was being called back to Him, there was an incredible desire to be in His Presence in the Sanctuary.

1 Tim. 1:12-17
Gratitude for God’s Mercy
I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he considered me trustworthy in appointing me to the ministry
I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man, but I have been mercifully treated because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief.
Indeed, the grace of our Lord has been abundant, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost.
But for that reason I was mercifully treated, so that in me, as the foremost, Christ Jesus might display all his patience as an example for those who would come to believe in him for everlasting life.
To the king of ages, incorruptible, invisible, the only God, honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

I agree with you, that purgatory is not something to look forward to. But there is a way to avoid it.

The church, who speaks for Christ, has allowed us on certain days of the year, and with certain prayers, to remove all or some of purgatory due. But this is obtained under conditions: Holy Communion, Confession, prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father, and regretting all previous sin. So it is possible to reduce or erase all purgatory if one is in the state of grace and follow the conditions.

How can the church do this? Because Jesus said to Peter, “whose sins you forgive they are forgiven…”. And if the church has the greater power to forgive sins thru its representative, then it also has the lesser power to forgive what is attached to sin.

Just another consideration of the mercy of Jesus left here on earth for us.

Please never feel like that God Loves us all, since your not a Catholic, just tell Him your sorry for your sins, and your going to try to be better, we are human, we fall, and we dust ourselves down, and start again.

Us Catholics know the Church is for Sinners that is why we go there, its not a Hotel for Saints.

Since you are on a Catholic site have you ever thought of going to RCIA classes to see would you think of becoming a Catholic, there is not pressure to join, just listen and ask questions, and take it from there. Imagine if we all said we did not sin, not only would we be lying but hypocrites as well,

Go with a Peaceful mind that God knows your trying to do the right thing and get close to Him, and He will take care of the rest.

We have this parish in our diocese that used to (not sure if they still have it up or not) have this huge banner over the top of the exterior of the main entrance that read “Welcome All Sinners”. I thought it was great. It actually comforted me quite a bit and gave me strength to walk through those doors.

1. No; it’s a major reason as to why I attend Church. :smiley:
2. No; it’s a major reason as to why He wants me to attend Church :slight_smile:
3. Hope not! I want to attend Church! :yup:

I have given up posting because I do believe a lot of questions should be asked to priests etc rather than here where answers tend to be different to what priests tell us and tell us much kinder than how we treat one another too.:(and please dont wave the am not Catholic card here because I think there is very little difference here in that priests are far more understanding and kinder and able to ‘teach’ better than the average Christian/Catholic who means very well but unable to know how to reach to people really. :blush:

However, I would like to answer the opening poster with a question of that

Is God only in Church ?

For myself, God is absolutely everywhere and you cannot hide from God. Church is only one very tiny tiny part of being a Christian, being a believer being an active Church attendee. 2 hours on a Sunday compared to the rest of your life when you can’t actually hide from God. I am not meaning this critically just saying, how come you feel going thru a set of doors that are labelled Church makes you feel too sinful to enter when the rest of your life you do not question when in fact God is with you absolutely 24/7 not just 2 hours out of the whole week Going to Church is one form of worship of God.The rest we do private and public throughout our whole week. You do not feel too sinful from God then? Just in Church? Church is a nominated place of worship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.