Ever had to take kids with you on a date?

So, DH has been battling a kidney stone for 3 weeks which has finally passed and we were planning on ‘making up’ for our anniversary this weekend, but all of our family is tied up which means we have no child care. He said we could try for another weekend.

I told him, we’ve been through the ringer the last month and I’ve had to leave our little ones at home with grampa countless times while I made visits to DH in the hospital - it seems the best way to celebrate our marriage is all together as a family. I told him we can always go out on our own later, but I didn’t want to wait for the stars to align for us to go out.

I think we’ll have a good time and we all need a break - us and the kids and I think they need time out with us too.

Have any of you ever had to do this? I know that having that one-on-one time with your spouse is crucial, but we can have that any night after the kids are in bed. Sometimes it seems that going “out” on a date is such an ordeal to arrange that it’s hardly all that enjoyable, not to mention, expensive.

I’m just encountering so many parents lately who seem to keep their kids at arms length and I’m the complete opposite - my kids go with me EVERYWHERE!

There are times for a night out without the kids, and times when its important to be together as a family. Sounds to me like this is time for family bonding. With their daddy recently in the hospital, and you busy tending to him, its time to gather the family all together and celebrate family.

Honestly, I'm not one who takes my kids everywhere. They are a bit older now and can be left alone at home, but my husband and I do enjoy going out just the two of us, and I enjoy time out my myself or with other mom friends. But family togetherness time is also crucial, and it definitely seems like these is one of those times.

My parents including me and my brother on their anniversary “dates” occasionally. My husband and I have done the same. If it benefits your family to be together on this special occasion, who has the right to tell you any different. Just because traditionally anniversaries are done as a couple only event doesn’t mean everyone has to do it that way.

Well, I’m not a parent, but as a child I’ve been on the other end of this.

Whenever I was growing up, I can’t recall a single time that my parents ever went out for dinner, just the two of them. They saw the family unit as especially important and embraced the time the three of us got to spend together. Though, this may be in part to my mom working days and dad nights…which made family time scarce.

Also, for my parent’s anniversary every year we went antique shopping as a family…me included. I think this taught me a lot of responsibility and showed me how to have a successful, loving family.

Just my 19 year old :twocents:

Peace, all.

We do both... we certainly take the kids out for "family dinners" to celebrate certain events - why not!?!
Happy Anniversary... hope it's a great night!

[quote="Domnall, post:4, topic:253806"]
Well, I'm not a parent, but as a child I've been on the other end of this.

Whenever I was growing up, I can't recall a single time that my parents ever went out for dinner, just the two of them. They saw the family unit as especially important and embraced the time the three of us got to spend together. Though, this may be in part to my mom working days and dad nights...which made family time scarce.

Also, for my parent's anniversary every year we went antique shopping as a family...me included. I think this taught me a lot of responsibility and showed me how to have a successful, loving family.

Just my 19 year old :twocents:

Peace, all.

[/quote]

Well, that's precisely where we are - I work days while DH watches the little ones and he works evenings and weekends, so yes, our time together is scarce as well, I think more as a family than as a couple. I am loving these shared memories I am reading from all the responders - warms my heart!

[quote="JLCecilia, post:1, topic:253806"]
So, DH has been battling a kidney stone for 3 weeks which has finally passed and we were planning on 'making up' for our anniversary this weekend, but all of our family is tied up which means we have no child care. He said we could try for another weekend.

I told him, we've been through the ringer the last month and I've had to leave our little ones at home with grampa countless times while I made visits to DH in the hospital - it seems the best way to celebrate our marriage is all together as a family. I told him we can always go out on our own later, but I didn't want to wait for the stars to align for us to go out.

I think we'll have a good time and we all need a break - us and the kids and I think they need time out with us too.

Have any of you ever had to do this? I know that having that one-on-one time with your spouse is crucial, but we can have that any night after the kids are in bed. Sometimes it seems that going "out" on a date is such an ordeal to arrange that it's hardly all that enjoyable, not to mention, expensive.

I'm just encountering so many parents lately who seem to keep their kids at arms length and I'm the complete opposite - my kids go with me EVERYWHERE!

[/quote]

my kids go with me EVERYWHERE!...........................too

We’ve taken them out on our dates too. But then we also family night every Friday: Movies, pop-corn, play games and then “camp out” in the living room. Sat. is date night! The kids go to bed a little earlier; we watch movies and have pop-corn or read together. Sometimes we just sit and talk! The kids are great about going to bed earlier because they know it’s our special time together and since they have their special time too they don’t feel left out!

I think it would be a great moment to teach your children how much you treasure each other :-):)

Well, we had a pretty nice day. DH was patient and allowed me a couple of stops to do a little shopping and the kids were just so happy to be out and about. And at dinner time they were so good - you feed 'em and they're good and quiet. We were still able to have our adult conversation at the front of the van with all of them in the back out of earshot:P

Still looking forward to a date out to ourselves, but really cherishing time together as a family right now. Totally looking foward to Labor Day - hopefully we can figure out another family outing.

I met my wife a few weeks after our son was born and started dating her when he was 2, so there were lots of times we took him on dates with us. All these years later, there are very few times that we have “alone” dates and usually do things as a family. I enjoy having the kids along, especially for our anniversary because I consider them a big part of what our marriage is all about. The alone time is nice but it’s not always practical.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.