Ever Virgin Mary / Brethren of Jesus

I explained to a Protestant the broad meaning of the words used for brother and sister in the bible (i.e: no word for cousin), only to hav him come back with Luke 1:36.

Luke 1:36 (King James Version)

catholic.com/library/Brethren_of_the_Lord.asp

36And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

Other versions translate the word “cousin” as “relative”. Anyone have an answer or thoughts on this?

Terri

I’ve been told that “kinswoman” is a more accurate translation.

AFAIK it simply means a generic female relative (the Greek word, that is, suggenis).

[quote=Sherlock]I’ve been told that “kinswoman” is a more accurate translation.
[/quote]

Thank you. I love this forum.

[quote=Pug]AFAIK it simply means a generic female relative (the Greek word, that is, suggenis).
[/quote]

Thank you too. I may get tempted into intelletual laziness. Submit a question, go frost the Christmas cake, come back and get your answer. Amazing.

From the Blue Letter Bible:

blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1135451762-9364.html#36

suggenes Strong’s Word # 4773 is translated and used in Scripture to mean:

1. of the same kin, akin to, related by blood
  2. in a wider sense, of the same nation, a fellow countryman

Examples:

Mark 6:4 But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin 4773, and in his own house.

Luke 1:58 And her neighbours and her cousins 4773 heard how the Lord had shewed great mercy upon her; and they rejoiced with her.

Luke 2:44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day’s journey; and they sought him among [their] kinsfolk 4773 and acquaintance.

Luke 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen 4773, nor [thy] rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.

Luke 21:16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks 4773, and friends; and [some] of you they cause to be put to death .

John 18:26 One of the servants of the high priest, being [his] kinsman 4773 whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?

Act 10:24 And the morrow after they entered into Caesarea. And Cornelius waited for them, and had called together his kinsmen 4773 and near friends.

Rom 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen 4773 according to the flesh.

Rom 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen 4773, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Rom 16:11 Salute Herodion my kinsman 4773. Greet them that be of the [household] of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.

Rom 16:21 Timotheus my workfellow, and Lucius, and Jason, and Sosipater, my kinsmen 4773, salute you.

Hope this helps.

Keep the Faith
jmt

[quote=mom 07]Thank you too. I may get tempted into intelletual laziness. Submit a question, go frost the Christmas cake, come back and get your answer. Amazing.
[/quote]

Hmmmmm! :slight_smile:
Would you save me a piece of that cake ?

…or some crumbs, at least !

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.