Everlasting Man by GK Chesterton

Hello!

Has anyone here read the Everlasting Man?

It’s one of my top 10 books of all time.

Curious if GKC is read much by the regulars here.

in XT.
A.

GK Chesterton is incredible. I read The Everlasting Man about this time last year for the first time. I read Orthodoxy before that, and I just finished The Man Who Was Thursday. I’m planning on getting into his books on St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Francis of Assissi very soon.

You bet!

These 3 masterpieces are on my shelf…the plan is to fill my tiny Chesteron library with as much of his work as possible! He is truly the “Apostle of common Sense”.:slight_smile:

The Everlasting Man
The Ballad of the White Horse
Orthodoxy

[right]JMJ + OBT[/right]
Did you know . . .

This wonderful book can be read on-line (or downloaded and printed) for free?! Check it out:

The Everlasting Man

by G.K. Chesterton

Enjoy!

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

IC XC NIKA

Great!

There’s an American Chesterton Society whose president is a convert via our hero GKC! He has a weekly show on EWTN called GKC: The Apostle of Common Sense 9:00 eastern. Most out of circulation books can be bought from the Chesterton society as well. Geez I’m sounding like I work for them, I’m not even a member!

One of my many favorite lines from Everlasting Man is:

Art is the signature of man.

But there’s far too many ideas that are so profound as we all might agree.

Orthodoxy, St. Francis and The Dumb Ox are home run books! I can rattle for 8 hours straight regarding these books!!!

Thanks for the replies.

in XT.
A.

I love GK Chesterton. He was a brilliant man, and I love his sense of humor. I just finished reading Heretics and Orthodoxy, both of which were excellent. I also read a collection of his essays a few years ago. Recently, I was able to use The Everlasting Man as a primary source for a paper I wrote about Tolkien’s conception of myth. I wish all of my assignments were that enjoyable!

I love Chesterton! I too got hooked on him via Dale Ahlquist’s show on EWTN.

I just finished The Outline of Sanity and have begun Eugenics and Other Evils.

Chesterton’s works are available to read online at www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/books

G.K. Chesterton rocks!!!

[quote=Kay Cee]I love Chesterton! I too got hooked on him via Dale Ahlquist’s show on EWTN.

I just finished The Outline of Sanity and have begun Eugenics and Other Evils.

Chesterton’s works are available to read online at www.dur.ac.uk/martin.ward/gkc/books
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! I’ve added it to my favorites.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Hello!

Has anyone here read the Everlasting Man?
in XT.
A.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: You bet! And over and over - and Orthodoxy as well. I often think that my answer (should I ever be asked, but I never will be), to: “What book would you want if you were stuck on a desert island?” would be Orthodoxy (because it also so very funny), with the Everlasting Man a very close second.

Chesterton was/is such a gift. :clapping:

Anna

Thanks for posting this thread. I’ve read it and it’s the “everlasting” in my screen name. The “thur” part is from The Man Who Was Thursday I start graduate school in geography and fall and plan to do my thesis on Chesterton. I’ve done other projects on him as well. Chesterton’s writings are so relevant. It’s always exciting to hear from Chesterton fans. If anyone is in college, I highly recommend trying to work him into some projects. If you have a fair professor you’ll look like a genius. It’s hard to look dumb when presenting Chesterton. He speaks for himself. My favorite though, is probably The Napoleon of Notting Hill. The Dover edition has some great illustrations. If you want something really quick and inspiring read his essays for The London Illustrated News. Wow! The ones writting during and after WWI are especially intriguing. Ignatius has them for a great price, too. God bless!!!

I certainly agree that GKC is exactly the kind of writer that is needed today. He emphasizes precisely the kind of ideas that are consistenly forgotten. But why did I never hear about him till I was in my late 40’s? Why didn’t I or my children ever hear about him in Catholic school, or our parishes, or from my diocesan newspaper? Why aren’t his classic books in the public library (or even Catholic school or college libraries?)
I love his books!http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

More GKC fans coming out! Very cool!

Grace and Glory—let me guess? Ethics of Elfland? But that’s from Orthodoxy…you gotta share your writing about JRRT. I think it safe to assume that GKC fans are also Tolkienites…too bad not all Tolkienists are not Chestertonian! But Chesterton and Tolkien are clearly Thomist! Heheh. Just having fun.

I feel like I got to GKC late, after 32 years of walking around this planet and not knowing GKC is just downright self abuse! PTD—I feel your pain.

It is true what they say about him rewriting a book everytime one rereads it. I’m on my third read of Everlasting Man and somehow it gets richer and richer.

Great, hope to hear more from you.

God bless us all this weekend!
A.

I have not had the opportunity. I understand that if there is only ONE GKC book that you ever read - it should be this one.

It is on my “to do” list of things to read.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Has anyone here read the Everlasting Man?
[/quote]

Yes.The American Chesterton Society has a good website that fans might want to add to their favorites:
chesterton.org/

jb

There was a lot in Orthodoxy that would have been good for my paper, but I didn’t get a chance to read that before I had just about everything else done, so I just stuck with Everlasting Man. My professor wanted me to write specifically about Tolkien and industrialism, so I had to leave out some of what I thought was the more interesting stuff about Tolkien and Chesterton, but I was able to put in some of it, as long as I related it to industrialism and modernity.
I can definitely share my writing, but it won’t all fit here. It was a sixteen page paper, and half of it was devoted to an analysis of Tolkien’s thinking as compared to Chesterton’s. If you want, you can send me a PM and I’ll email it to you. The only other thing I can think of is just pasting in the second half of my paper over multiple posts, but I don’t want to clutter up this thread with it.

[quote=Grace and Glory]There was a lot in Orthodoxy that would have been good for my paper, but I didn’t get a chance to read that before I had just about everything else done, so I just stuck with Everlasting Man. My professor wanted me to write specifically about Tolkien and industrialism, so I had to leave out some of what I thought was the more interesting stuff about Tolkien and Chesterton, but I was able to put in some of it, as long as I related it to industrialism and modernity.
I can definitely share my writing, but it won’t all fit here. It was a sixteen page paper, and half of it was devoted to an analysis of Tolkien’s thinking as compared to Chesterton’s. If you want, you can send me a PM and I’ll email it to you. The only other thing I can think of is just pasting in the second half of my paper over multiple posts, but I don’t want to clutter up this thread with it.
[/quote]

If anyone is still interested, you can read my paper here:
netfiles.uiuc.edu/xythoswfs/webui/cpinheir
The only change I’ve made to it was deleting my name from it for safety reasons.

[quote=Grace and Glory]If anyone is still interested, you can read my paper here:
netfiles.uiuc.edu/xythoswfs/webui/cpinheir
The only change I’ve made to it was deleting my name from it for safety reasons.
[/quote]

i know your paper you gay

Maybe you should join. Such a deal. If you order *“GILBERT MAGAZINE” *you are automatically made a member of the society. I believe they just started this this year. its $35 dollars a year and worth it.

[quote=AquinasXVI]Great!

There’s an American Chesterton Society whose president is a convert via our hero GKC! He has a weekly show on EWTN called GKC: The Apostle of Common Sense 9:00 eastern. Most out of circulation books can be bought from the Chesterton society as well. Geez I’m sounding like I work for them, I’m not even a member!

One of my many favorite lines from Everlasting Man is:

Art is the signature of man.

But there’s far too many ideas that are so profound as we all might agree.

Orthodoxy, St. Francis and The Dumb Ox are home run books! I can rattle for 8 hours straight regarding these books!!!

Thanks for the replies.

in XT.
A.
[/quote]

I’m in the process of reading Orthodoxy now. So far, it’s very good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.