Every saint in heaven will be a mirror of God?

We are all supposed to put God first in our mortal lives. But it also will be the case in Heaven?

Charles Spurgeon, writer and preacher, had a unique perspective on this issue. He writes, “I expect to see and know all the saints, to recognize them, and rejoice with them, and that without the slightest prejudice to my being wholly absorbed in the sight of my Lord. Let me explain to you how this can be. When I went the other day into a friend’s drawing-room, I observed that on all sides there were mirrors. The whole of the walls were covered with glass, and everywhere I looked I kept seeing my friend. It was not necessary that I should fix my eyes upon him, for all the mirrors reflected him. Thus, brethren, it seems to me that every saint in heaven will be a mirror of Christ, and that as we look upon all the loved ones, gaz in ground upon them all, we shall see Christ in every one of them, so we shall still be seeing the Master in the servants, seeing the head in all the members. It is Iin them, and they in me. Is it not so? It will be all the Master. This is the sumtotal of heaven.” Spurgeon saw no problem in loving one’s mate forever, for itwould not be a conflict with loving one’s Lord supremely.

In heaven, after the Resurrection we will not be limited in love or limited by time or energy?

So we will be able to love all whom God loves radically, in our own way, because we will have been transformed into saints who love with the love of God and without the boundaries earth?

We will certainly taste of the limitlessness of God, by partaking in Him. I’m sure that’s an aspect of what will make eternal life worth living, err…eternally. And, yes, as Pope Benedict put it in Jesus of Nazareth as I recall, “God is heaven”. That seems to relate to Spurgeon’s thoughts anyway.

Hi, Edward!
…I don’t know about the writer… but I do have two issues with the presentation (make that three issues, another just popped up): 1) we are called, by Christ, to Love one another as He Loves us–we cannot wait till we get to Heaven to practice loving Christ in others, 2) during Christ’s Transfiguration Peter, James and John saw Moses and Elijah speaking with Jesus–they shared in Jesus’ Glory but they did not simply reflect Jesus; in the Spirit, they were seen by Jesus’ Disciple though they had lived hundreds of years prior to them, and 3) the Apostles describe the experience as gaining our fullness of existence not just reflecting God (1 Corinthians 13:12; 1 St. John 3:2)–our change is an enhancement through God’s Divinity…

…as the hollowood’s fairy tale of never-ending love? Jesus corrected the pretenders who came to Him as He offered: ‘…not so in Heaven, for you will be as angels–not having romantic interests…’ (paraphrased)

Maran atha!

Angel

Sometimes we can inadvertently trap ourselves into believing Heaven and the Beatific Vision is something we can fully comprehend while we are still here on earth.

Sometimes we can inadvertently allow our own contemplation of Heaven and the Beatific Vision to be limited by someone else’s limited view.

Given that it is, in fact, the Beatific Vision (and not the Beatific “Reflection” :wink: ) , in my limited opinion, I don’t find the analogy of Heaven and mirrors to be too compelling . . . one might even posit that St. Paul wouldn’t find it so compelling either:

1 Corinthians 13:12 [NAB]

At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.