Every woman's life?

Hi,

As I was praying the Rosary a couple weeks ago, the thought came into my mind “I am a strong believer in woman’s rights, and I believe that every woman’s life begins as conception.” I was wondering if anyone has ever heard this argument used against abortion and whether any of you think it is a strong polemic? From now on, whenever an argument or discussion of abortion, pro-choice, or “women’s reproductive rights” come up, I am going to say I believe every woman’s life, and right to life, begins at their conception. What do you think of this argument, will you ever use this polemic in a discussion, or have you had any success in this argument? Does anyone have any ideas to develop or elaborate on the beginning of a woman’s right to her own life begins at one’s conception?

Thank you for any suggestions, or encouragement.
God bless you all. Amen.

[quote=Psalm 115:6a]They have ears but do not hear…
[/quote]

I think it excludes males. If you make the argument for female zygotes, embryos and fetuses to enjoy the right to develop and be born and live, then it is incumbent upon you as a pro-life individual to defend said rights for the males.

I am deeply pro-choice. This is where I would come after you. Just sayin’. :wink:

Many years ago - probably in the '70’s or early 80s, I read something similar in Mother Jones. I’ve wished many a time that I’d saved the article. I thought it was a pretty good pro-life argument from a completely non-religious point of view.

I agree that it leaves the men out in the cold. That is a flaw in the argument.

I’ve been using this argument for years.
I support the rights of all women, whether or not they’ve been born.

Yeah, but it’s not that kind of an argument.

Oh? Then what kind is it? A belief is one thing, an argument is another. The original poster called her view “an argument.” So please explain, on_the_hill. Just what is it? A metaphor? An allegory? A parable? A hit-and-run judgment?

Maybe we should allow the original poster to explain.

I really like this quote by Ronal Reagan.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born”

It pretty much sums it up… Every person that condones abortion has been given life. I have a feeling that their opinion on the matter might have changed had it been their own mother making the contemplation…

I think it has as yet hidden possibilities in moving forward against the abortion mentality. In the matter of the sexual experience of our society, I think there is subtle expectation that women be willing to meet the sexual desires of men in order to be loved. To that end, young women seek out the pill from an early age these days, not even contemplating having a relationship that doesn’t involve sex. Or else lots of young women hold to a high ideal for chastity as they emerge into the dating world, but its a common experience for them that if you don’t ‘put out’, you don’t get a boyfriend. The sea is abundant with little fish who will. That is an awful position for younger women to face and a real blight on the rights of women. Why should a woman have to sterilise herself? Males might feel ‘responsible’ enough to wear a condom, however when that fails, it’s always the woman who bears the greater consequence ie. going through a pregnancy and in premature motherhood without the security of marriage she deserves in her maternity. Why should she have to face abortion for any reason that involves the lack of expectation of every man to fully and unconditionally support the family he creates by his sexual drive.

Perhaps the argument could be coined as the woman right to carry and raise her children free from every expectation that she provide consequence free sex for males.

Of course there are many radicalised women out there who will fight against that view, but every good rights movement has to deal with traitors to their cause. ducks

How can you call yourself Catholic and be pro-choice? This is ridiculous! Don’t you realize that we must respect life at all stages: from the moment of conception until God calls us home to Heaven?

Please read this article that I wrote: “Choose Life: It’s Good for You!” by typing in this title in the search bar on the top of the CAF page. It should come up.

May God hless you and lead you to being pro-life and you should be!! :slight_smile:

I like this quote by Caitlin Moran:

“I cannot understand anti-abortion arguments that centre on the sanctity of life. As a species we’ve fairly comprehensively demonstrated that we don’t believe in the sanctity of life. The shrugging acceptance of war, famine, epidemic, pain and life-long poverty shows us that, whatever we tell ourselves, we’ve made only the most feeble of efforts to really treat human life as sacred.”

That may be true of many people, but it doesn’t reflect the Catholic perspective.

Well, I don’t know much about the formalities of debate so I don’t know what it would be called. But I would use it as an argument that’s intended to make people think about the notion that society’s shrugging acceptance of war, famine, epidemic, pain, and life-long poverty doesn’t include the rights of the unborn people. (and I’d add an Oxford comma).

Sure, a person could call a ticky-tack technicality and say, “It doesn’t include unborn men,” but that misses the point.

How about I amend my statement? “I support the rights of all people, women and men, to choose the course of their own lives, even if they haven’t been born yet.”

This “species” that Caitlin Moran speaks of has a tendency of using words like “anti-abortion” in an attempt to add a negative connotation to the pro-LIFE stance. Anti-abortion is another way of saying anti-murder… and I think that’s a stance we can all agree with.

Perhaps we can use her quote as motivation to do what we know to be right, and that is to revere the sanctity of life despite some of the evil that humanity has imposed.

How so?

Originally Posted by Prodigirl View Post
I like this quote by Caitlin Moran:

“I cannot understand anti-abortion arguments that centre on the sanctity of life. As a species we’ve fairly comprehensively demonstrated that we don’t believe in the sanctity of life. The shrugging acceptance of war, famine, epidemic, pain and life-long poverty shows us that, whatever we tell ourselves, we’ve made only the most feeble of efforts to really treat human life as sacred.”

Your argument Prodigirl then seems to be ‘evil exists therefore evil is okay?’ Or do you mean, ‘God will forgive us all our evil so it’s okay?’

I guess the second one is true, but you seem to be generalizing about the whole human population as a force of this evil; In fact the Grace of God can free us from sin/evil, and part of that Grace is being honest about what is evil and avoiding/fighting against ALL of it (according to our position in life). You are right though that the double standards of many powerful and highly visible people has done nothing for the cause of pro-life. Such as pro-life politicians who love war, people who say they are against abortion but live in great wealth/greed, etc etc. Also I have seen some people use anti-abortion sentiment as a vehicle to express their hatred of women in a glow of self-righteousness. May god have mercy on them. But please don’t think we are all like that, although of course no ones perfect, God wants us to try.

Well…Catholic Charities does a lot of work. Little Sisters of the Poor does a lot of work. There is no other religious faith in the world that does more for peace, poverty, famine, etc.

Are you asking for real? Or being argumentative?

China has, through elective abortion, elected to exterminate females in such a disproportionate way it virtually assures the Apocalyptic invasion prophesied by John of 200,000 Asiatic troops pouring into the middle east. Also note the Susan G. Komen-esque dilemma of elective abortion (and miscarriage) enhancing the incidence of breast cancer in women, up to 30% as in Denmark’s study.
abortionbreastcancer.com/
Thank you and God bless you, Dr. Joel Brind, for answering the cries of women wailing about the increased incidence of breast cancer. Note that breast cancer research had 1/3 the funding as AIDS while having three times the deaths as AIDS. Women and children last?:confused:

No, I don’t believe everyone is like that. I believe we can do and be better. That is the thrust of the “argument” - just do it better, just be better, individually and collectively. And if a politician who says he’s Catholic but stands for escalating the building up of arms, while he’s kissing babies and running around on his wife with his secretary, be discerning when voting.

If I were being argumentative, you would know it. :pshaw:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.