"Everybody wants to go to heaven" song

Thoughts about the song "Everybody wants to go to heaven" by Kenney Chesney?

I like it well enough. It's funny, and kinda true. We all wanna go to heaven when we die, but none of us wanna hop up there right now. Least, I don't.

Well, if it was a matter of just a hop, skip and jump, I’m putting on my running shoes because I’m ready :stuck_out_tongue:

Darn it though, I’m still just an old chunk of coal, so I have lots of work to do become a diamond someday

I had to reply to shondrea’s comment :smiley:

Actually, as far as the song goes, I don’t believe I’ve heard it before, so I just came in to throw the post off topic :o sorry.

two words, YOUTUBE

[quote="Loboto-Me, post:3, topic:195933"]
Well, if it was a matter of just a hop, skip and jump, I'm putting on my running shoes because I'm ready :p

Darn it though, I'm still just an old chunk of coal, so I have lots of work to do become a diamond someday

I had to reply to shondrea's comment :D

Actually, as far as the song goes, I don't believe I've heard it before, so I just came in to throw the post off topic :o sorry.

[/quote]

You got a point there, I must admit XD It's just that whole messy "dying" thing that keeps getting in the way XD

youtube.com/watch?v=og_ovYodzrw&feature=related

lyrics:
The Preacher told me last Sunday mornin'
"Son, you better start livin' right.
You need to quit the women and whiskey and carrying on all night.
Don't you want to hear him call your name when you're standing at the pearly gates?"
I told the Preacher "Yes, I do, but I hope he don't call today."** Are you ready?**

Everybody wants to go to Heaven.
Have a mansion high above the clouds.
Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody wanna go now.

Said, Preacher, maybe you didn't see me throw an extra twenty in the plate.
There's one for everything I did last night,
and one to get me through today.
Here's a ten to help you remember, next time you got the good Lord's ear.
Say-
I'm comin' but there ain't no hurry
I'm havin' fun down here. Don't you know that-

Get their wings and fly around.
Everybody wanna go to Heaven
but nobody wanna go now.

Some day I wanna see those streets of gold.
Get my halo.
But I wouldn't mind waitin' at least a hundred years or so.

It beats the other place
there ain't no doubt.

but nobody wanna go now.

Hallelujah! Let me hear you shout.
but nobody wanna go now.

I think I can speak for the crowd.
Nobody wanna go now.
Yeah.

It makes some good points. Will it make anyone think about being in a state of grace, though? The Preacher, at least, tried to make the point, even if the song didn't.

The verse where he threw "an extra twenty in the plate"?? Is it sarcastic, or does it reflect the attitude that 'everything' can be bought if the price is right? But, then, he does acknowledge "the other place".

I think it is an attempt to take a serious issue not too seriously, but still make people think about it. I wish it ended with, "Are you ready?".

Just fun to listen to. :shrug:

Great song, great artist.

Thank God for country music :thumbsup:

LindaSK~ Those are my feelings exactly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.